PDA

View Full Version : Addressing passengers as 'guys'

frequentflyer2
12th Nov 2009, 20:59
I have the greatest respect for cabin crew and I certainly do not expect them to be obsequious or subservient in any way. Friendly and chatty is all I want and when travelling on the airlines where row one on the left hand side is directly opposite the cabin crew seats I enjoy having conversations with them when they sit down for the approach and landing.
However, I have noticed, especially on the two leading loco carriers a growing tendency for cabin crew members to address passengers as 'guys'. Mrs. FF and I returned on Sunday from a holiday to Italy which involved a total of five flights starting at BFS and ending at BHD. On at least one of those flights we were addressed on several occasions in this manner. I've noticed it on other flights as well. I don't like it and I suspect many passengers of our age (late 40's) and older don't like it either.
Incidently this does not mean we want to be called Sir and Madam but we really don't want to be called 'guys'. I don't think its appropriate.

Ten West
12th Nov 2009, 21:08
It's never bothered me (mid 40s), but then I don't like being called "Sir" anyway as it always reminds me of the police or the tax man!

What would you prefer as an alternative?

AirborneSoon
12th Nov 2009, 22:05
Well it's a case where everyone's different and what one person might object to another will prefer. So you really can't win either way unless you are psychic and 100% accurate all the time. Personally I can't stand being "sweetie" and "hon" in the workplace. I find that highly inappropriate especially when it comes out of the mouth of someone 15yrs younger than me. But I choose to ignore it and just get on with job. I've come to realise that people don't mean to be patronising by using this, it's just their way of creating some level of familiarity and breaking down barriers. I'm happy to go with what makes my working life easier and more enjoyable.

But if it's really important to you then just politely say to the crew "you can call us...." and I'm sure they'll comply. It's really quite difficult to find the right balance as crew, I have my own system for addressing passengers that works most of the time. But occassionally I'll hit the wrong note, unavoidable unfortunately.

I have discovered that most people respond better to casual familiarity than not, it seems to be a very acceptable way to address people these days. And many of my mature passengers respond well to it.

boardingpass
13th Nov 2009, 02:30
Well, I hate hearing Sir and Ma'am or worse, Madam. And I detest people calling me by my name (even Mr. BP) if we don't know each other / haven't been introduced. I would never say 'guys' on a PA, but to a group of students or young people, sure. However, in other languages, I use the equivalent of Sir and Madam all the time, because that's the cultural norm for those languages. I would not sweat the small stuff, but if it really bothers you, tell them to call you 'Your Royal Highness' or what ever it is you want... just don't expect the small talk to continue as they will be afraid of re-offending you.

Ten West
13th Nov 2009, 13:27
A mate of mine (Actually the mechanic who fixes my car) received a name-change kit from his girlfriend as a gift and changed his first name from "John" to "Sir John"

He's not a "Sir" in the least, but he tells me that he gets great service when he flies off on his holidays when the airport staff see the passport!

I've seen his driving licence. Does indeed say "Sir John" ;)

peterpallet
13th Nov 2009, 14:18
"Ladies and Gentlemen" suits me fine

apaddyinuk
13th Nov 2009, 14:24
I think its a bit tacky alright! That or "bud" or I even heard a colleague trying to get the attention of a customer by going "yo yo"!!!!

Sir/Madam grand, its suitable, better then making some random gesture. If the person turns out to be chatty or particularly pleasant at every encounter then check his/her name on the manifest and remember it so you can refer to them by name. Always the most professional way if you ask me (obviously impossible to remember all customers names despite what my airline suggests! LOL)

Pegasus747
13th Nov 2009, 20:12
The only thing that concerned me about your post was that you were talking to the crew as they were sitting on their jumpseats in either preparation for takeoff or landing.

the crew should be performing a "silent" review of safety procedures during that time and should not be either conversing among themselves or with the self loading freight, as it is an unnecessary distraction.

As far as using the term "guys" or "sir or "madam" or the pax name or nothing at all...its all a matter of picking your mark. And that usually only comes with experience. At all time the object should be courtesy and that varies depending on cultures etc...

I note that you say that you have been flying with Low Cost Carriers? perhaps the "norm" is one of familiarity and less formality....

Checkboard
13th Nov 2009, 22:26
Sir, your post begs you state the airline, rather than tarnish the industry (or a sector of the industry)!

Slickster
13th Nov 2009, 22:27
Sometimes, early in the morning, I feel a little grouchy, when the security operative addresses me as "mate". I'm thinking, I don't you know you from Adam, you're not my mate, blah blah.....OTOH, he's probably just trying to be friendly, in the best way he knows.

In the same way, I may be flying with a colleague, and say something like, "you're getting a bit high, mate", even though I don't know him that well at all. Guess a lot of us are guilty of it - maybe we're just trying to run things smoothly. Best not to take offence, or if it really offends, say something.

MrSydney
13th Nov 2009, 23:13
I usually fly J and when they say 'Welcome aboard Mr XXXX' I say 'Thanks but you can call me XXXX' (first name)

I find being called 'Mate' at tad on the casual side. I am on a plane not in the Pub.

flyinspanner
13th Nov 2009, 23:21
Silent reviews only take 30secs...... CC are sitting strapped in by the customers, usually some minutes before T/off......and quite a few after.

Plenty of time to complete their silent review and chat to brighten up both their days (hopefully :))

Pegasus747
14th Nov 2009, 01:49
Qantas Group Policy is no idle chit chat from the jumpseats......plenty of time to chat to the SLF during the flight. The only reason that the crew are there is for emergency situations and during taxi, take off, descent and landing are the "critical" phases of flight where "review" is imperative.

At Qantas you would be performance managed for engaging in chit chat to other crew or passengers when on the jumpseat during these critical phases.

its not about being friendly or unfriendly ...just professional

TightSlot
14th Nov 2009, 10:24
Back on topic please

finding_nema
14th Nov 2009, 10:53
Working for a charter airline, I would normally always address a customer as "sir" or "madam" and wouldn't think to address a couple in their forties as "guys." However, I do think when you've got a family of various ages including small children (perhaps not the older generation) or a big group of young people all going on holiday, that "guys" is acceptable. Our airline is almot exclusively taking people to or from their holidays, and hopefully they're in a holiday mood and want to have a familiar and friendly face in the cabin. This is definitely not the case with my last employer, a low-cost airline, who even though flying business routes, encouraged PAs beginning with "Hi/Good morning Folks ..." Cringy.

boardingpass
17th Nov 2009, 12:26
Pegasus, so you say,
'Sir, although it's highly unlikely, it's critical that I now prepare myself for a possible emergency situation, and I would ask that you not ask me any further questions but please feel free to study your safety card'
Get a grip, mate!

Capetonian
17th Nov 2009, 12:45
I'm very informal but I have to say that 'guys' makes me cringe, and as it's gender specific I would imagine that the fairer sex would find it particularly jarring. 'Folks' is better but too American,and if they want to keep the informality I would suggest that perhaps "hello everybody" might be used.

Kulula.com call everybody "Superheroes, boys and girls" which I hate, and ultimately I fear that the classic 'Ladies and Gentlemen' or 'ladies and gents' is the best option.

galanjal
19th Nov 2009, 00:52
oh no! I am so sorry but no! I would never refer to my passengers as 'guys' it will always 'Ladies and Gentlman' for me.

S-crew'd
19th Nov 2009, 00:57
It's hard to guage.. as someone said earlier it comes with experience. Obviously on a PA you would address the cabin as Ladies\Gentlemen.. You can usually read how someone would like to be addressed. If it was a late night charter flight then perhaps addressing a group of guys as "guys" is the best way to get their attention. Not recommending it but it does depend on the day and the type of flight\passenger profile.

At my airline we were trained not to use Sir\Madam unless necessary and only when an assertive approach is required.. i.e: Sir you need to go back to your seat etc..

Bigger problem sometimes is what passengers feel they can call us.. Mate, Princess (!?), Buddy, You, Mr, Blondie, Boyo, Hostie.. the list goes on ;)

5711N0205W
19th Nov 2009, 13:43
At Qantas you would be performance managed for engaging in chit chat

Dear me what prime example of mba driven modern management bull crap that expression is :ugh:

AMF
19th Nov 2009, 14:28
"Guys" or "you guys" is inappropriate.

The accepted form of address for a group of people, no matter what its makeup, is "Y'all".

Y'all go ahead and try it, you'll like it. :ok:

CEJM
19th Nov 2009, 15:52
Earlier this year on a long haul flight.

The lady next to me was 68 years old and was adressed by the CC as 'babe'!! Totally inapropriate and unprofessional, a bit of respect for your customers would go a long way. Just as the crew should be treated with respect by the passengers.

W2k
20th Nov 2009, 11:18
On my two recent flights with BA (LHR-NAR and back again) the female flight attendants, none of whom I knew personally, addressed me as "darling". I found this quite nice, if a bit surprising at first. (I'm 26.)

Lima288
20th Nov 2009, 13:14
Flew to SYD with Qantas earlier this year in F, used the "you can call me Chris", so they did. What really impressed me was 3 weeks later on the way home, I was welcomed on board by the same CC member with "Nice to see you on board again, Chris" - top marks!!!!!

Makes a big difference from the Concorde CSD who chatted for ages on the way to New York, then the next morning on the way home when I said "Hello again" gave it the "Sorry, do I know you?" routine!!!!!!!!!

:)

Mr Optimistic
21st Nov 2009, 11:29
but apart from formal announcements you can actually talk to people without using anything other than a polite tone. 'Hello, would you like something from the trolley'. No need for anything else. Guys is a ghastly Americanism anyway, like 'kids' (goats anyone ?) ?

IFLy4Free
21st Nov 2009, 20:29
Calling people "guys" or "you guys" is a big time US term primarily for New Jersey and New York. I probably do use "guys" and "sweetie" nature of the beast I guess!

rmiller774
22nd Nov 2009, 03:04
I don't like to be addressed as one of the "guys" either. It seems disrespectful to me for an airline employee to do so. Nor do I like to be called by my first name by someone I don't know at all.

The clear winner is Post #25.

Blue Rotor Ronin
28th Nov 2009, 11:17
Whilst you're being pedantic 'm8', it's an aeroplane...

Ladies and Gents is generally preferred, with Sir and Madam for individual interaction. Then again I don't mind a relaxed approach.

amostcivilpilot
29th Nov 2009, 10:16
Guys and Kids :ugh:

Two of my pet hates followed closely by "Mate"!

I believe that all pax should be addressed initially, by both flight deck and the cabin crew, using "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls" and then directly as "Sir" and if travelling with my wife as "Sir and Madam". With children what is wrong with refering to them as "boys and girls"? It was the way I was brought up and it is certainly the way my children are brought up.

However once settled in I will always tell the crew that my name is "AMCP", my wife will always say her name and our children will give their christian names. It breaks the ice and is simple good manners. I hate being addressed as Mister or Sir after the first "hello Sir", it makes me feel very old ;)

And it works the other way. There is nothing worse than pax addressing crew as "sweetie" or whatever is the in word on the day. I can understand the older generation using words such as "Dear" but I have heard some ignorant 20 somethings adressing crew using it in a condesending way, most often when traveling in business and not at their own cost!

It is not however just a low cost or cabin crew issue, I have come across it in BA, EK, EI and others (though I am lead to believe that EI is now considered low cost!) as well as being addressed by ATC as mate! And it wasn't in Australia!

Maybe I am just old fashioned and out of touch :O

Isabellas
30th Nov 2009, 01:22
exactly...what about pax addressing crew as 'honey', 'darling', 'babe', snapping with fingers etc etc... its not appropriate either. But i do believe that crew who refer to pax as 'guys' may be a bit over-worked perhaps? or sick of their job?
I wouldnt call any pax that. I do however understand that it could sometimes be difficult trying to get a bunch of pax attention quickly..
As in a sec after landing and touching down everyone un-fasting their seatbelts and standing up bringin out their bag...although seatbelt signs still on, happens quite alot :=
yay, equal respect from both pax & crew;) but it starts with the crew i think!

MancRy
1st Dec 2009, 01:11
You really do have to judge it........ hun, lovey, sweetheart (unless a child) is probably a little too familiar. On the other hand, Sir and Madame can be way too formal and on certain routes, many pax aren't that comfortable with such formality.

My rough guide....

Anyone 30's upwards - Sir/Madame unless they are chatty

Under 30's and in a group - "Guys" is totally acceptable IMO

Young lads - Mate is acceptable....talking on their level definitely helps in alot of instances

Kids - Guys, mate, sweetheart are all acceptable

It is a mine field and whilst Sir and Madame definitely has it's place, to address everyone by that is blatantly false and meidocre for the pax aswell as crew.

At my base we fly a hell of a lot of leisure passengers, an awful lot of whom are in good moods and often make the effort to engage you in chat and banter. To be coming out with Sir and Madame would seem a little stand offsish and distant. Again, at my base (working for a low cost carrier) we get the right balance and often we get comments about the fact that we aren't "snotty, think we're better" types. Let's be honest, some of us can come across like that.

Solar
1st Dec 2009, 02:36
Some people have little to be annoyed about, it's not what is said it's the way that it's said as far as I'm concerned.
In a slight reversal the most demeaning way of getting CC's attention has to be in my experience evident in some West African states where they clench the teeth and make a horrible "thssst, thsst, thsst sound sometimes with a click of the fingers.
Makes my blood boil to hear it.

bmibaby.com
1st Dec 2009, 09:18
Rather infamous story at bmi of SMB telling off one of our ground staff for greeting him with "Hi there," responding "Shouldn't that be good morning, sir?" Totally depends on the customer, or group of customers, you're speaking to and the situation, I don't think there's a blanket rule. Personally I prefer "Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls" for announcements, "Sir or Madam" for initial interaction and to continue with unless told the customer isn't comfortable with being told this (happens more than you'd think, will never forget a thick-Brummy-accented pax on a flight from BHX saying "no airs and graces here bab, we all sh*t and p*ss out the same hole") Usually call the children "young man or young lady" unless their parents introduce themselves.

Final 3 Greens
1st Dec 2009, 12:33
"Shouldn't that be good morning, sir?"

In his case, literally.

DernierVirage
3rd Dec 2009, 10:35
The OP is 100% right, I too am tired of the seeming inability of people in Britain now to address customers with basic respect. What's wrong with sticking to "Sir", it's a lot better than being called "mate" by someone half my age. And don't get me started on people calling me by given name:(

Iain Wilson
3rd Dec 2009, 11:49
Pooly
Whats wrong with a bit of basic formality and courtesy? I personally detest being referred to as "MATE" - this is a spin off from that dreadful East Enders culture or perhaps Aussie soaps. My view is that I am not your mate - I am invariably the man who pays your wages - show a little bit more courtesy please - I didn`t call you sonny or whatever.
I think that it is a case of horses for courses - "mate" in an informal setting but definitely more formality where paying customers / general public are concerned unless told otherwise.

Desertia
14th Dec 2009, 06:08
Ask yourself how you would feel being addressed by the passengers as "Pal" or "Babe".

"Guys" is slang.

It wouldn't bother me particularly, but I do feel that until you are on anything less than formal terms with the passengers, it's "Ladies and Gentlemen" collectively and "Sir" or "Madam" individually.

Even when I used to work behind a bar, it would always be "What can I get for you, sir?" unless I knew them better.

I always make it known that I am happy for CC to call me by my christian name. After all, half the time they have to wear badges with theirs on, don't they?

vespaet3
15th Dec 2009, 02:12
I use "Ladies and Gentlemen" on the PA, and "Sir and Ma'am" while serving in the cabin. I've never had a negative response from pax for this, but I do work for a full-service airline.

I dislike pax addressing myself and other CC as "girls".

skyblueboy
15th Dec 2009, 05:45
I now work for a low cost airline and I still address our passengers with Sir/Madam. I hate to hear other crew use words like 'love, mate' etc
We don't have to use these titles but I think it's a nice touch.
When I worked for a full frills airline I once addressed a passenger by madam, she replied ' I am lady ..... not a madam' You just can't win sometimes!

Firestorm
15th Dec 2009, 15:01
At the last airline that I worked for (the same as finding NEMA I think) the cabin crew would greet the passengers with "'ello love" and "'ello mate" type comments regardless. When I and a couple of the other flight deck raised the subject with the base captain, and the chief pilot we were told that they didn't want to interfere with cabin services! That was the management attitude! Airlines have dumbed down to the lowest common denominator!

Sir Niall Dementia
21st Dec 2009, 12:21
Positioning back from MIA to LHR last year I got 'Oi darling, close that window blind.' No please, no thank you and no manners at all. I was enjoying watching the east coast of the USA slide past and when I explained that the return was 'well you won't enjoy it when I wake you up to close it later.'

I used to work for that airline. The way this crewmember behaved saddened me greatly, and for the first time in my life I lodged an official complaint with the company (several other things were said by the person concerned) The CSD was called and the complaint made, backed up by four witnesses. From the crew member, not one one word of apology and a bloody abusive tirade when I left the aircraft in LHR. One of the witnesses said he would never fly with that carrier again, sadly I have no choice, and the cost of business class with them sticks right in my throat.

Just desserts do happen though. We were interviewing for VVIP cabin crew a few weeks later and I was on the panel. The crew member concerned was a candidate and didn't recognise me. As we discussed passenger treatment I reminded her of the incident and she was suitably embarrased. We actually offered her a job because based on interview she was actually very good, she declined the offer.

We read a lot on these forums about FD and CC being tired at the end of a long stint away. I was going home after two weeks of chasing around the northern hemisphere, this crew member knew nothing of me, maybe if I hadn't been so worn out I'd have laughed it all off. When pax walk on we rarely know anything about them, or the lives they lead. We should treat them with the greatest respect, Sir/Madam until they say otherwise. They pay our salaries and we are there for their convenience, not the other way round. While informality has become the norm, we are responsible for the safety of all those in our care. A sloppy attitude to customer treatment may be indicative of a sloppy attitude to safety, or any other part of our jobs.

A2QFI
21st Dec 2009, 13:50
"Guys" seems to have become a collective noun for people of both genders. I have to work with the public and when they arrive at my work place I don't know who they, until there has been some conversation. I invariably call them "sir" or "madam" as appropriate and then when I know their names Mr ??? or Mrs ??? I dislike having it assumed by customer service help lines, phone banking etc that I want to be called by my first name. I don't mind them using it if they have asked if they can.