PDA

View Full Version : 10 Sqns of EMB-314 useful for current ops?

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Nov 2009, 13:05
Defence of the Realm: Gaining momentum (http://tinyurl.com/yhuzrl2)

Interesting article.

Linking to:

August 7, 2009: The U.S. Navy is developing a dedicated close air support aircraft for its SEAL commandos. The Navy has leased an EMB-314 Super Tucano aircraft, and is testing it in desert ranges in California, and at Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Maryland. It is the culmination of a yearlong project codenamed ‘Imminent Fury.’ This is an effort to provide a low cost aircraft to perform armed intelligence, reconnaissance and surveillance missions. If proven successful, four more aircraft will be bought and sent to Afghanistan.

A two seat, single engine turbo prop, the Super Tucano seems made for the Counter Insurgency (COIN) environment, especially in built up areas where airstrikes have been criticized due to sometimes high civilian casualties. Such controversy fueled a decision not to use airstrikes near villages unless a unit was on the verge of being overrun.

Might well be more fun being part of a 350 airframe RAF force of Super Tucanos than being part of a very small RAF force of super fast wizzy things...

Much more Biggles. Much more useful. I don't know.

Gotta be more fun than QRA in Lincolnshire?

green granite
12th Nov 2009, 13:22
Hmmmmm, the MOD could buy 8 of them for £47 Million. :E

barnstormer1968
12th Nov 2009, 14:36
If these aircraft are being bought to support the SEALS, and let's face it, they don't look or sound like regular jet fighters, won't it be a bit obvious to the Taliban where the SEALS are?
During a firefight these aircraft would turn up, and the Taliban would go balls out to kill/capture their high publicity value foes!
God forbid it, but it would be a much better PR opportunity for them to parade a SEAL on TV/internet, than some regular trooper.

Just my two penneth worth.

Two's in
13th Nov 2009, 00:55
Strafing attacks with COIN aircraft are fine when it's the Battle of Mboto Gorge again and we're facing 10,000 Watusi Warriors, armed to the teeth with kiwi fruit and guava halves. I suspect they'll find it's a different game when Johhny Foreigner turns up with a few Stingers or whatever SAM's that nice Mr Ahmadinejad provides them with these days.

Bow Inn
13th Nov 2009, 01:54
.... it was a viciously sharp slice of mango wasn't it sir ?

Barksdale Boy
13th Nov 2009, 02:46
QRA in Lincolnshire was occasionally fun, but always important.

Gravelbelly
13th Nov 2009, 08:17
Hasn't this been done before in the "US to deploy JDAM-equipped Super Tucanos" thread (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/382112-us-deploy-jdam-equipped-super-tucanos-2.html#post5168952)?

There's a presentation which would imply that the Tucanos are being bought to make (a massively expanded) FAC training and retraining programme somewhat cheaper. Just think how many flying hours are required to give every MFC and FOO in a single Battlegroup a go of "working with CAS" during pre-operational training, let alone the amount for a deploying Brigade...

USN Irregular Warfare presentation (http://www.navexfor.com/uploads/NX-Irregular_Warfare_Office.pdf) (pdf) - look for the "Imminent Fury" explanation on slide 21.

orgASMic
13th Nov 2009, 09:06
Have a good look at the beardy bloke on slide 9. Looks suspiciously like Chuck Norris to me.
:cool:

barnstormer1968
13th Nov 2009, 09:27
Although it does look like Chuck Norris, it can't be, for two good reasons:

Chuck would not need an aircraft or ship for support, as he would do the job all by himself (and win of course).

Chuck is with Delta, not the SEALS:}

Gainesy
13th Nov 2009, 09:32
Someone will be along in a minute with the: "Why don't we restart Skyraider/Mosquito/ Stuka production?" line.

Chuck Norris is a mincing gay boy loiterer.

The Helpful Stacker
13th Nov 2009, 11:08
Aye, Lofty Wiseman would eat the Muscle Mary Yank for breakfast.

barnstormer1968
13th Nov 2009, 11:52
Hi Gainesy, and THS.

I am feeling the need to point out that the Chuckster is only an actor, and I was attempting banter:(

But, I am now curious as to how gainesy knows these facts about Mr Norris:eek::E

But, on the other hand, maybe Chuck is the lad for the job, as ground troops are always calling for pilots to loiter for longer:E

Gainesy
13th Nov 2009, 12:01
But, I am now curious as to how gainesy knows these facts about Mr Norris:)

Living halfway between Gatwick and Brighton, one cannot help but hear such rumours, which I note, you state as "these facts".:suspect::)

The Helpful Stacker
13th Nov 2009, 12:05
Banter (or attempting it) is not a one way street, the preserve of a single individual nor measured against an official scale.

I'm fully aware that Mr Norris is indeed an actor which is why I played along rather than un-banterishly stated that Chuck is not really in Delta Force either, since he is an actor.:rolleyes:

barnstormer1968
13th Nov 2009, 12:24
Gainesy.
Nice one:ok:

I only said 'these facts' as I was taking you at your word as a gentleman.:}

THS. Now come along, play the game. As for lofty eating anyone for breakfast, I am finding that hard to accept. Not only is he a pensioner of 68, he doesn't even have his own teeth. But I suppose you may have a point in that although he is 68, he is still younger than Chuck.:ok:

Disclaimer: The tooth part may be total fiction my part.