PDA

View Full Version : Cars

Blammo
10th Jul 2001, 14:23
Peug 106 or seat ibiza cupra sport? Anyone own either? I'm wanting to part with some readies for one of them, could do with some first hand experience insights.

Thanks very much,

Blammo

"Its not the winning, its the winning dirty that counts"

newswatcher
10th Jul 2001, 17:51
blammo,

Worth a look here - http://www.4car.co.uk :p

jayteeto
10th Jul 2001, 20:43
My second car is a 106, it's small and does loads of miles to the gallon. Not much else really, bit of a mondeo of small cars.

RedOnCut
11th Jul 2001, 03:16
And whats this thread to do with Mil Aviation????
Br-off to a used car forum on similar for really sad Peugo-drivers!!

stbd beam
11th Jul 2001, 03:40
Used to have an Ibiza and have had a couple of rides in Cupras - excellent choice.

Dan Winterland
11th Jul 2001, 12:31
I have a 14 year old Fiat Uno. Does that qualify me to post on this sad sad thread?

You want it when?
11th Jul 2001, 13:44
Forget frugal - I've a TR7v8 convertible you can have for a a modest amount (Bordeaux Red, £2,500 to PPruners - Tax / MOT 02/02 - 165BHP ). Its fully weather capable, ignores all minimums (and maximums) drinks about a gallon for each 20 miles travelled and sounds (3.5Litre V8) so much better than a boring motor. One problem tends to suck small children into the air filters on start-up! :D
:D :D

[ 12 July 2001: Message edited by: You want it when? ]

UnderPowered
12th Jul 2001, 01:47
Oh, God, is this what its come to.....? :eek:

BEagle
12th Jul 2001, 02:19
Do remember the 'Aircrew constant' though, chaps:

Coolness of car + Size of watch + Size of willy = Constant.

So those of us with Breitlings and sports cars don't have everything - but those with Breitlings and awful old Unos probably have something else to smile about, eh Dan??

Out Of Trim
12th Jul 2001, 04:43
ehhmmm - I think the Seat Leon 1.8T might be a better choice ~ £14995 with 180 bhp and all the kit and handling you could require!
not mil aviation but OK for your ground transport requirements... :eek:

Gainesy
12th Jul 2001, 15:05
http://www.dnd.ca/aete/images/00-1205.jpg

Some aviation content.
(Dodge Ram used by CAF at Cold Lake for bang-seat tests)

L J R
12th Jul 2001, 16:43
....but did the Breitling survive, and how much did it stretch his willy.

Megaton
12th Jul 2001, 18:08
I don't think Seat Majorcas or whatever they're called are really officers' cars. Don't they teach anything at Cranwell these days?

[ 12 July 2001: Message edited by: Ham Phisted ]

BEagle
12th Jul 2001, 19:40
Agreed - and I've also heard that some officers have actually bought diesel cars! Are there no standards any more? A chap needs decent wheels - diesel might be OK for farm tractors and other machinery, but it is simply NOT an officer's fuel!!

4-star unleaded - the smell of freedom!!

Poop poop!!

Gainesy
12th Jul 2001, 20:08
They all look like boring little jelly moulds these days anyway.

Flatus Veteranus
17th Jul 2001, 21:50
BEagle

My wife must have seen your post about the "aircrew constant". I am being pressed to trade my beloved Saab 900 Turbo and my 50-year old Rolex for a diesel Corsa and a Timex. I wonder what developments she has in mind?

nosefirsteverytime
17th Jul 2001, 22:34
Why bother with 106s and unos and stuff? I've seen some nice 60s/70s MG convertibles in Auto Trader for 'bout 10 thou or less....
(but something tells me you spend more on other things like fuel and repairs....)

Mine's not a Deisel, just runs on coconut oil from Bougainville......

[ 17 July 2001: Message edited by: nosefirsteverytime ]

callsign Metman
18th Jul 2001, 13:44
On todays congested roads why bother at all with the big engined tin boxes!!
Be a bit smarter than your average boy racer..have a reasonable car (cheap insurance, loads of MPG and a roof to keep the rain off) and spend the rest of your money on a motorbike!!

Honestly the BEST move I've EVER made. Beats any cheesy chat up lines too.

Try it..you'll see!!

CM :D :D

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Jul 2001, 13:58
Have any of you Officer types ever driven the new BMW330d...? More torque than the 4.0 V8 engine. Its much quicker and more fun to drive than its 330i petrol stablemate...

Back to the original point - have you considered the Seat Leon Cupra - 180b.h.p. and can be had from £15,000 from your dealer if you haggle. Outhandles and performs the Golf GTi comprehensively...

Ennie
18th Jul 2001, 18:39
If your a woman yes, have one of these cars, if not I reccommend a BMW Alpina B10 3.3, a proper car

Gash Handlin
18th Jul 2001, 21:24
Get a Peugeot 306 Turbo Diesel mine goes like sh$t off a shovel (quicker than all the petrol variants I tried)and its only group 5 insurance, which helps keep down the cost of 8 points on your licence :mad:

You should also be able to get a good deal on them coz they've just brought out 307 replacement.

And before you start BEagle, I'm not an officer yet but obviously I'll ditch it as soon as I am and get a nice,fast two seat gas guzzler. :D :D

Dan Winterland
19th Jul 2001, 00:43
BEagle,

The smile is on Mrs Winterland's face, not mine!

And I apologise for having a car with a tractor engine, but soon I will cease to be an officer - so that's alright. And regarding your comment this afternoon about recently having doubled the value of my car after a visit to the garage to fill up, true, very true!

The Mistress
19th Jul 2001, 00:49
Never mind Dan - you'll still be able to come back and visit BEags - on the TRAIN!!! :D

JimNich
19th Jul 2001, 01:32
Being a NCO type I feel it my duty to bring to your attention the merits of the Skoda family of cars (****, that would've been funny about five years ago, story of my life).

eXtreme
19th Jul 2001, 18:09
Just started a very sad website at www.xpower-mg.com (http://www.xpower-mg.com)

So you can guess where my interests lie. :)

Should be a good review on Top Gear tonight. ZT375 ordered!

joyride
19th Jul 2001, 18:15
Surely a TVR would be more practical...

eXtreme
19th Jul 2001, 19:14
TVR is a miszspelt word for unreliable!

Ford engine with 375bhp (curretly testing with 500bhp. 4 doors. "75" build quality - no contest. :cool:

sangiovese
20th Jul 2001, 19:56
With all this talk of cars I'd like to get inside Minnie Driver.... :rolleyes:

fat albert
20th Jul 2001, 21:13
May I suggest that you stop mincing about and get out and buy one of these.....

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/new/wrx.gif

Dan Winterland
21st Jul 2001, 00:42
Now that is really a car for a man with a small willy!

Spaeking of which, Mrs W suggested I wear a Swatch last night! :eek:

John Eacott
21st Jul 2001, 01:23
There's no substitute for cubic inches

http://www.hsv.com.au/images/cars/vx/grange/grange_cropped.gif

Mine's for sale, anyone? Can deliver, at cost :D

Skycop
21st Jul 2001, 03:21
What chest size is she, John?

Blue Stuff
21st Jul 2001, 13:45
BEagle: I like my 306 turbo diesel, thank you! And with all the money I save on fuel, I can treat myself to that penis enlargement I've always dreamt of! :o

Albert: Are you a hairdresser? ;)

John Earwig: Ah, a re-badged Vauxhall Carlton! :p

John Eacott
21st Jul 2001, 15:52
Vauxhall? There's a name I haven't missed for a long time!

Thought you blokes had been introduced to the joys of HSV V8's, and moved into the 20th century :p

Blue Stuff
21st Jul 2001, 20:30
John,

But ... Vauxhalls MUST be good ... the MoD use them!

As for HSV V8s, why bother when you suffer from such padestrian speed limits? I'm sure it's very impressive when you out-accelerate a mo-ped at the traffic lights, but the usefulness stops at 60 kph!

Why don't I just drop a 14-litre Scania engine into the front end of my Peug? Equally practical, I contend! ;)

Anyway, me old fruitcake, workplace excepted, we Poms are in the twenty-first century these days! :D

Blue.

[ 21 July 2001: Message edited by: Blue Stuff ]

John Eacott
22nd Jul 2001, 01:04
Do the MOD still have vehicles? Goodness, it seems only yesterday I got interviewed for exceeding the speed limit in a Bedford VAN at RNAS Portland by a MOD Plod one quiet Sunday morn. Fortunately, no one had the basic idea of asking to see my licence :cool:

NT has no speed limit (not that I live there), but living out of town where I do, I'm always impressed driving home that the last shift up in the slush box is at about 215kph. I almost felt bad taking the TAC's money to film their latest series of Ads about knocking 5kph off the posted speed limit. As if....

Century reference was obviously too subtle :D

[ 21 July 2001: Message edited by: John Eacott ]

RRAAMJET
22nd Jul 2001, 07:58
Bought a Ferrari - sold the Breitling as a downpayment; BEags formula explains everything...

Hell of a car, though - Gash, you can borrow it if you become an Officer and get an exchange over here...15 mpg ( with the aircon on ) good enough? :D :D

eXtreme
22nd Jul 2001, 13:56
15 mpg - your joking.

EVO VI (15 road miles + 55 track miles = tank empty). Overall 7 mpg, therefore track must be below 4 mpg of SUL - OUCH!

Oh - the Climate Control was off.

Blue Stuff
22nd Jul 2001, 15:03
John,

I must've been in the wrong place then. There I was in South Perth, bimbling along at (visually) 50 mph, completely oblivious of the 60 kph speed limit. Imagine my dismay when I was stopped and fined $150 (£55) by a cop with a laser. Terribly nice chap; let me have a go with his laser gun ... which was a mistake, 'cos I managed to break it. That'll learn 'im! :D

Subtlety? Dunno what yer talkin' about!

Blue.

STANDTO
27th Jul 2001, 22:07
Those who served at St Athan in 87 may remember a colleague who had the most outrageous NOVA kit car. Lifting roof etc.

He is now a director of a large blue chip computer firm driving an Alpina B10, following a bad check ride at Linton ;) null