PDA

View Full Version : Retraining to SAR rearcrew from AEOp

day1-week1
12th Nov 2009, 09:39
I know this has probably been done to death in previous forums, but I'm after some advice on going SAR after a tour on nimrods. The info I'm after is time between completing pre-select and start of training, any pre-training required due to lack of helo experience and length of training and locations. Also once qualified length of postings and out of area dets, etc.

Cheers

TorqueOfTheDevil
12th Nov 2009, 20:49
Not sure about time between pre-select and starting training, but your proposed route is a well-worn path - in fact, RAF publicity guff used to list a Sea King crew as 2 pilots, an AEO and a winchman because so many of the Winch Ops/RadOps were AEOs, frequently from the Kipper fleet.

All SAR trg is now at Valley; for the rest of the information, why not contact E Flt 202 Sqn at Leconfield, being the nearest SAR Flt to you, and arrange a visit to meet people doing the job to pick their brains. The Rearcrew Leader would be a good POC assuming you don't know any of the folks there.

If you are interested, don't waste any time - the clock is ticking!

Unchecked
12th Nov 2009, 21:10
Out of area dets ?

Hahahahaha.....:E

TorqueOfTheDevil
12th Nov 2009, 21:32
Out of area dets ?

Hahahahaha.....

You'd be surprised - the SAR Force has had a number of people in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as the Balkans and Falklands.

Not on the same scale as other fleets, of course, but anyone wanting to join the SAR Force to achieve immunity to OOA dets might be in for a rude awakening...

day1-week1
13th Nov 2009, 13:31
Thanks for the replies, there does seem to a lot of ex-kipper fleet lads on sar, every time i watch 'highland rescue' there's another ex-kipper mate who saw the light far earlier than i have. just out of interest, what are the tour lengths on sar, ie do you move from one base to another after a number of years or stay put until at one location unless you ask for a move.

Adam Nams
13th Nov 2009, 23:05
These days it depends very much on the needs of the individual squadrons.

There are some individuals who are very happy to stay put (and will do anything to stay in one place :{:{:{ ;)), whilst there are others who want to move about and see a bit of other operating areas.

Assuming that you get through, I would hope that the Sqn Rear Crew (RC) Ldrs will put you on to a flt where you will gain a good knowledge base. I hate saying this but there are flts that are not necessarily the best for career development - not because of the individuals, but because of the operating area and the types/number of callouts that they get. In my time the wheels were very concerned about this and would take steps to make sure that jnr rearcrew posted to these locations were detached regularly to other Flts (with the current shortage of rearcrew I think you will find yourself doing this anyway!)

Regarding posting options - the Sqn Cdrs and RC Ldrs get together with the desk officers once or twice a year to discuss manning. It will be at one of these meetings that you may be discussed (usually as you end SARTU/begin OCU). It will be a case of 'we will have to put you where we want you', BUT you never know. If you have a particular Flt in mind then ask your friendly RC Training Officer/Flt Cdr training staff good and early (and give them three choices of location).

As a winchman it may take a good 3 to 4 years to complete all of your courses and training (medical etc), as winchop it takes this long to get to see most situations and get comfortable in the job. The continuity of your continuation training is very important during this stage. Once this period is over then (again IMHO) I would take the opportunity to move about and get to see different operating areas - expand your knowledge.

Whatever location you end up at - best of luck. I never regretted leaving the kipper fleet and enjoyed every minute of my time on the SARF. It is still the best job in the world. :ok:

day1-week1
15th Nov 2009, 19:40
What are the long term prospects for mil sar. There seems to conflicting views about at the moment, from a gradual draw-down leading to completely gone by 2012, to 'f**k knows, anything things possible at the moment'. As they are still running pre-selects and courses, there must be at least a tour's worth of time time left, surely? or not? or f**k knows?

Charlie Luncher
17th Nov 2009, 00:04
Little dude
Many have trod this path many times before you and there will be quite a few at ISK that have completed pre select. First things first, you have to get to a Sqn as a qualified AEOp then strike out from there. ISL is just down the road and you can visit regularly to be a dummy for rescue (helps if you are Dry to be a dummy:8). Also some AEOps have gone to SH to help the Loadies to learn to read and write:E.
In essence it is up to you and how much support you get from your boss.
Charlie sends
Good luck

St Johns Wort
17th Nov 2009, 07:51
I know of only one, so, how many AEOps are on SH?

TorqueOfTheDevil
17th Nov 2009, 17:48
ISL is just down the road and you can visit regularly

He's in Lincolnshire - hence my earlier comments about visiting Leconfield!