PDA

View Full Version : Gate Guards

Clever Bloke
26th Jul 2001, 23:47
OK this may seem a little sad. I work at a location that has strong RAF ties. The boss is quite keen to get some sort of flying machine on the grass outside his office as we get several visitors to the building.
Any ideas how much it would cost to buy an airframe? (Plastic replica or real would be good)

15/15 flex
26th Jul 2001, 23:49
The way things are going, they'll be ten-a-penny for the real thing before too long........!

Snapshot
27th Jul 2001, 00:09
You could have had the LAST EVER RAF Buccaneer to fly over the mainland which flew into Marham on 12th April 1994. XV332 (With a long history with the RN and RAF) had been sitting there since then being raped if its bits and pieces. Too late now, they put the JCB claws through it this week!
More history down the pan
Snappers

only1leftmate!
27th Jul 2001, 18:53
You need to contact MoD Main Building. The feller who can sort you out is known as 'the controller of aircraft' (strangely enough). These are the very chaps who arranged the plastic spitfires during the late 80s.

Mowgli
28th Jul 2001, 15:28
Clever Bloke

Good luck with this venture - it's great to see a machine well cared for in pride of place etc - if you save one from the sad demise of many fine machines "you're welcome to meet my sister anyday"

At Colt we had 2, a Hurricane and a Lightning. The Lightning's gone - shame - it was a great thing to see when you went to work in the morning. It probably became a victim of the bean counters. I don't remember any discussion taking place about it, but I'm sure funds could have been raised to keep it. I bet an "adopt a lightning" scheme would have worked. There are always a gang of spotters gathered at RW22 - imagine if their name was on a plaque at the base of their aircraft?

It's too easy to let these important things go because they don't look good on a balance sheet, but no-one bothers to ask the workforce if any will come up with a different idea.

Sorry to ramble on - hope you find a good example "one careful lady owner" and no corgi hairs!

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
28th Jul 2001, 19:21
Clever Bloke

Give Jeremy Clarkson a ring as he managed to get hold of a lightning from somewhere. (Probably Colt!)

ps Where did you get the strong RAF ties from, mine keeps splitting at the seam just behind the knot! :)