PDA

View Full Version : Short change over in Newark

Espada III
11th Nov 2009, 12:09
I have the possibility of a flight from Boston (BOS) to Manchester (MAN) via Newark (EWR) on Continental. The stop over is just one hour.

Is this enough time to clear immigration, security, customs etc on the way home to the UK? I have not been to Newark before.

HXdave
11th Nov 2009, 12:31
as far as i am aware, clearing customs, immigration etc will all be done at manchester on arrival, not in Newark (as that would only be classed as a domestic flight).

as for security, that will be cleared in Boston, however i must admit i have no idea about the transfer in EWR, and as to whether you will beed to go through (main) security again.

however, as always, i stand to be corrected.

Espada III
11th Nov 2009, 12:52
Thanks

I am not sure if I was clear?? I change planes at Newark. So surely there will be some outgoing passport check and security etc at Newark?

intortola
11th Nov 2009, 13:20
Passport etc will be checked by airline when you check in at Boston, there may be a further quick check as you board by the gate staff, this should be to collect the I94 stub or visa waiver stub, but no formal passport check by the authorities required at Newark. If you can stay "airside" at Newark 1 hour should be ample time to connect.

Espada III
11th Nov 2009, 13:38
Thank you!

Gassy
11th Nov 2009, 14:16
My understanding is that if it is booked as one ticket, continental will be responsible to get you home if that connection is missed. Mind you, could still result in a delay!

SeenItAll
11th Nov 2009, 22:55
All formalities will take place upon your check-in at BOS. Once you get to EWR, you simply need to get to the outbound MAN gate. Because your BOS-EWR flight will be on Continental or Continental Connection (Colgan), you will arrive at Terminal C -- which is good because your MAN flight will leave from Terminal C -- so no change of terminal required.

But this still presents one important issue, if your BOS-EWR flight is late, one hour is scant connecting time. And delays are not unlikely, especially in the late afternoon or if the weather is bad. This is because NYC ATC puts ground holds on flights inbound to the NYC area that originate from nearby airports -- and BOS is only about 220 miles away. This is an aggravation I have all the time as I originate from DCA (Washington, DC), and flights inbound to NYC often have difficulty in making close international connections.

That said, if CO wrote the ticket, they are responsible for getting you to MAN -- it just may not be on the flight originally stated on your ticket.

Espada III
12th Nov 2009, 22:20
Thanks

After looking at prices and timings and taking into account the fact that we don't want to be stranded overnight in New Jersey with three children etc, we are going to drive to EWR from Boston, but take a couple of days to do it and aim to arrive at EWR about four hours before our 22:00 flight home. I assume that is a realistic time?

Pax Vobiscum
12th Nov 2009, 22:40
Espada III - I think that's a good call, or you could always take the train (direct service from central Boston to Newark airport, but takes nearly 5 hours), which your children might enjoy.

I've successfully avoided the US for the last few years, but it used to be the rule that you had to clear immigration at your first point of entry* and emigration at your last. Is this no longer the case?

* With a few special exceptions, such as Irish airports with US immigration facilities. Bound for SFO on a LHR-SEA-SFO, you had to go through customs and immigration at Seattle and v.v. on the way back. So it wouldn't be possible to do immigration at BOS on a BOS-EWR-MAN trip.

Jarvy
13th Nov 2009, 12:30
Amtrak Boston to Newark is very easy but very slow. Monorail from Amtrak station to airport teminals at Newark. Not much between Boston and New York (I live here) and if you get the train no one way hire charges on the car.
Mrs J uses the train often to travel between SE Connecticut and New Jersey so its OK.

racedo
13th Nov 2009, 12:50
Connection time is tight especially with 3 kids but missing flight it would be CO's job to get you home so likely a hotel for the night and a chance to see some of New York waiting for next one.

intortola
13th Nov 2009, 13:05
I've successfully avoided the US for the last few years, but it used to be the rule that you had to clear immigration at your first point of entry* and emigration at your last. Is this no longer the case?

It is correct that you clear immigration at first point of entry, but there is no formal emigration when you leave, this has been the case for the 20 years or so i have been regularly transiting the States. On checking in the agent checks your docs are ok i.e passport, at the boarding gate of your international flight the agent collects the I94 stub or visa waiver stub, you do not see an immigration official. When you check in they often stamp "docs ok" on your final boarding card so that agent knows they have been checked, if not the boarding agent may do a passport check at that time, its very easy and hassle free.

Remers
13th Nov 2009, 22:20
Becareful if you don't use your ticket in order i.e. not using the BOS-EWR portion, as this may quite possibly count as a no show when you don't check in in BOS and cancel the return flight to MAN as well. On most tickets all the segments need to be flown in order.

Espada III
14th Nov 2009, 21:22
Thanks all.

We have now had a total rethink of our trip. We are going to New York and California next summer and had a complicated series of flights worked out. We are now doing MAN - EWR then a few days later EWR - SFO returning to EWR from SFO 13 days later, and three days later still returning home EWR - MAN. Will have car in CA for touring.

The wait in EWR for the flight to BOS when we arrive from SFO in the morning was so long that if we picked up a car, we would over half way there before the plane took off. And my relatives are south of Boston anyway so it makes sense to drive up, stay two nights and drive back down in time for the 22:00 flight home.

Anyone have good suggestions for a ten day road trip in CA with three children?

toff
15th Nov 2009, 01:06
I flew from Orlando to London (via Dallas) with American Airlines in July and had just 40 minutes to get from one flight to the next, which arrived at and departed from different terminals.

My passport was only checked at check-in in Orlando and then again at the gate in Dallas - which is when the white form was also removed from the passport.

Even though you have made alternative plans now, short connections are possible.

BOAC4ME
15th Nov 2009, 05:39
Even for short haul European on-line/interline connections I would suggest a minimum of 1 and a half hours between flights to be safe, in this case maybe two hours. Most Airlines advise this kind of time scale a) to take into account all possible outcomes and of course b) to cover their back.