PDA

View Full Version : Fly in Addis

lunav
10th Nov 2009, 22:30
hi. I would like to visit Ethiopis (Addis Abeba) and while I am there,to rent a SEP(C172orC152) for a couple of hours, just for fun, with a friend of mine I have down there. Does anyone know what I have to do with my licence?I have full ATPL JAA. What do I have to do?
Second question:DO you know flying schools where I can rent the plane?
Thank you all for your help. If I'll go there I'll be happy to share my experience.
Bye.

Zimpilot1
11th Nov 2009, 03:05
Hi. I have just completed my PPL in Ethiopia, Addis Ababa. I would suggest that you try Abyssinian Flight Services. They have two Cessnas 172SP, a Cessna 206 and about 3 Caravans. If you get in touch with Captain Belay hemay be able to assist. I hope this helps

lunav
11th Nov 2009, 09:10
Thanks a lot!Do you remember how much you paid each hour?

Zimpilot1
11th Nov 2009, 15:20
It should cost you about US$240 or so. The price changes when they see foreigners. There is no fixed price in Ethiopia for anything. I paid about US$181 but that was after much negotiation. You could also try the Ethiopian Airlines Training School but their aircraft are very old. I could give you numbers to call when the time is near for you to come.

Arik
11th Nov 2009, 22:24
Abyssinian Flight Services: [email protected]

Zimpilot1
12th Nov 2009, 02:08
The best way to get hold of them is by phoning them. I doubt if their email is up. In terms of employment, its very difficult to get a work permit in Ethiopia. The government officials are a difficult lot and some of their demands unrealistic. For instance, Ethiopian Airlines is one of the largest airlines in Africa and still growing but only employs a handful of non Ethiopians unless you are an MD 11 Captain, then you do stand a chance.

Arik
12th Nov 2009, 08:12
The e-mail address that I gave but now can't see is a yahoo address that I got from their Finance guy a month ago. If anyone wants it, PM me!

Arik

lunav
13th Nov 2009, 20:43
thank you all for the quick answers. I'll try to call the school. I am not trying to find a job in addis...just leisure.
See you in the wonderlful Ehiopia!
Bye