PDA

View Full Version : I'm hanging up my headsets.

funfly
10th Nov 2009, 21:57
As my license drew to it's 2 year end a few months ago, I decided to keep it going so, at some expense, took a renewal and updated my medical. As I hadn't flown for a few months a number of check flights were had before I took the test again. Great, another 2 years validity.
Now I've just had notification from the CAA that my license expires in a few months time and they are looking for me to fork out some more cash to keep it going.
Really at the end of my ability to fund any flying so at 71 years of age I am hanging up my headsets and will not bother to keep valid.
Sad time for me but I've had a lot of fun and met some really good people ( and a few bad ones as well!) I am sure I will keep an eye on these forums though!
To all those who know me I wish all the best - stay safe.
FF

lurker06
10th Nov 2009, 22:31
Have you thought of applying for the NPPL? If you have a current licence I believe it is simply a matter of filling in the form. There is a fee for issue of the new licence, but it lasts for a lifetime. The NPPL website can be found at:-

NPPL (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/NPPL/www/index.html)

Lurker06

dublinpilot
10th Nov 2009, 22:38
I can understand your reasons.....but you have a few months....make the most of them ;) Get a couple of 'unforgetable' trips in before you finish ;)

cambioso
11th Nov 2009, 07:44
Now come on FF, stop pratting about and get yourself an NPPL. You will then wonder why the hell you've put up with the JAA for so long!
Phone Pete Harvey at the LAA (01280846786) he will explain how easy it is.
We need people of your experience around, and you can't do it from a bar stool!
If it's only a question of the money, I'll pay for your NPPL myself ........ As it's nearly Xmas!
Come on.....Get flying!!!!
Regards,
Jez Cooke

S-Works
11th Nov 2009, 08:30
GO the NPPL route. One off payment and valid for life. Use your current Class 2 until it expires and then get a self declaration from your Dr and you are sorted.

If you are anywhere near northants I can hook you up with some very cheap permit flying.

I will do your 2 year renewals free of charge either LPC or by experience.

Flying keeps you young and alert and aviation would be a sadder place without the veteran experience.

rogcal
11th Nov 2009, 08:58
bose-x said

I will do your 2 year renewals free of charge either LPC or by experience.

Yes please Steve!

Anything to help us "poor" old pensioners.:)

p.s. I've already put a notice up in the local Help the Aged office advertising your services.;)

p.p.s funfly. do as others suggest and get an NPPL. Even with bits of me in not to good shape, my GP still thinks I'm fit to fly my old Veep, so poverty and illhealth are no bar to continuing your aviating.

Lister Noble
11th Nov 2009, 09:00
What a kind offer,restores ones faith in the human race.:ok:
Lister:)

funfly
11th Nov 2009, 09:36
Good ideas, I actually had a NPPL which I uprated to PPL a number of years ago so I will see if I can get this going again. Started flying with Gerry Breen on microlights, what a mad likeable sod he is!
Thanks to Mr. Brown et. al. for my present financial limitations.
I am not sitting back doing nothing though, I am a full time student three years into a BA in Graphic design. Hope to do some freelance work when I qualify.

fisbangwollop
11th Nov 2009, 10:07
CAMBIOSO....If it's only a question of the money, I'll pay for your NPPL myself ........ As it's nearly Xmas!

Hey Jez you are still a star.......what an ace guy, I spent many happy times in that motor falke with you and it seems you are still a gent....1st class man...:cool::cool::cool:

I guess its in the breeding of us ATC folk that just make us plane nice people!!:):):)

S-Works
11th Nov 2009, 10:08
bose-x said

Quote:
I will do your 2 year renewals free of charge either LPC or by experience

Yes please Steve!

Anything to help us "poor" old pensioners.

p.s. I've already put a notice up in the local Help the Aged office advertising your services.

p.p.s funfly. do as others suggest and get an NPPL. Even with bits of me in not to good shape, my GP still thinks I'm fit to fly my old Veep, so poverty and illhealth are no bar to continuing your aviating.

Hang on a sec Rog, I thought I already did...... ;)

rogcal
11th Nov 2009, 10:13
I know you did Steve.:O

'avin a laff!:rolleyes:

S-Works
11th Nov 2009, 10:26
Good ideas, I actually had a NPPL which I uprated to PPL a number of years ago so I will see if I can get this going again.

Then the answer is yes. It is basically paperwork. PM me and I will see if I can help.

modelman
11th Nov 2009, 17:24
I actually had a NPPL which I uprated to PPL a number of years ago

As I understand it,your NPPL lasts for life so should still be valid (if your medical is also.)Your recent rating (SEP?) should I think carry over to the NPPL.

Thinking of doing a similar thing myself when my SEP expires end of next year.
I don't fly abroad these days ( and that could change with the NPPL,Channel Islands now available),will use my NQ very little,no plans for IMC so can see little point in a JAA licence for me.
For me,I enjoy the flying itself,destinations are secondary.
Try to keep your feet off the ground a little longer if you can.
MM

Zulu Alpha
11th Nov 2009, 20:53
What a kind offer,restores ones faith in the human race.
Lister

The LAA has a renewal scheme and other low cost training in taildraggers etc.

LAA PCS - 2008 (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/PCS/PCSFees.html)

Great value and when coupled with an NPPL medical and an LAA permit aircraft it provides great low cost flying. You also meet the nicest people.

I renewed my PPL with a lovely chap in his Auster. Had a great time, far better than renting a piper at the local club and nowhere near the cost.

ZA

ifitaintboeing
12th Nov 2009, 06:31
As I understand it,your NPPL lasts for life so should still be valid (if your medical is also.)Your recent rating (SEP?) should I think carry over to the NPPL.

Dig out your NPPL, as it is still valid! If you can't find it, contact NPLG at Turweston. They should be able to arrange a copy for you.

Transfer the FCL150 (Ratings - Certificate of Revalidation) from your JAR-PPL into the NPPL and hey presto - you can carry on flying! You will be restricted to the Class Rating on your NPPL - if it says SSEA or SEP then no problem. As Nike advertise - just do it!

If you upgraded straight from NPPL (Microlight) to JAR then you can only fly microlight - you will need to add the SSEA (Simple Single Engine Aircraft) to your NPPL by completing a flight test - PM me and I will assist, or take Bose-x up on his kind offer.

Your NPPL and JAR-PPL will have the same CAA reference numbers - the only difference is the Class Rating which you are revalidating goes from SEP to SSEA at the next revalidation, and you are restricted to SSEA on your NPPL licence.

You can also transfer the JAR Class 2 medical and use it until it expires since that also has the same CAA reference number, then obtain a doctor's NPPL declaration for your next medical.

If you fulfill all of the experience requirements to revalidate your NPPL class rating now, why not do so, and give yourself two years of Class Rating validity for nowt. (The one hour with an instructor only has to be in the last 24 months to revalidate an NPPL unlike your JAR-PPL!).

Contact the LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme if you have any questions; I believe they are very knowledgeable on these matters... [email protected]

No need to give up yet....no flying or cost involved....just a bit of paperwork shuffling to revalidate you for the next two years! Simples :ok:

There is plenty of fun flying to be done yet!

ifitaint...

sandbagsteve
12th Nov 2009, 18:32
I hope you can find a way to remain aloft a while longer, funfly. I remember you replying to my post about anxiety/agoraphobia, which was very encouraging. I'm now at 11hrs towards my NPPL, and loving it... If I'm still flying at your age I'll be a happy man! Take care, keep the faith, and thanks for the encouragement.

p.s. as a working graphic designer, good luck with your degree. Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything.

mrwilko
12th Nov 2009, 19:59
This thread is fab.
Real pilots with real experience, revealing themselves as real gentlemen and using the forum as a means of communication and encouragement rather than rant and argument.
The windy grass airtstrip or old ww2 airfield and it's associated hangar and cafe is where aviation careers should begin, not the glitzy schools with their marketing, uniforms, and fancy names.
Great to read that grass roots flying still goes on.:ok:

welliewanger
13th Nov 2009, 11:17
I haven't read all the posts so sorry in advance if this has already been said.

It's not uncommon for "the older generation" to lose the medical or for whatever reason be "unfit to fly". I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find an instructor who would be happy to go on flights with you. I've done plenty like this and it's actually a pleasure to fly with someone who already has so much experience and we can just get on and "go somewhere" in stead of bashing out more circuits!

I'm not sure how much a medical and license renewal will cost, but for the same cost you could fly with an instructor (about £20 / hour) for ages! OK, an instructor has to be available, but the guys I fly with are invariably grateful for being able to offload some of the work onto me and leave them to just enjoy it.

S-Works
13th Nov 2009, 13:37
but the guys I fly with are invariably grateful for being able to offload some of the work onto me and leave them to just enjoy it.

Let me guess. An hour builder?

ExSp33db1rd
14th Nov 2009, 06:27
Funfly

Can't speak for the UK, but I guess something similar.

In NZ go Microlight, medical is by G.P. and is the ' aged' i.e. 75 yr. old driving licence check, if the Dr. lets you drive home, you can fly a microlight.

I share an ALPI Pioneer - 300, retractable gear, variable prop. 4 hrs endurance with 2 up and night stop bags, 130 kt cruise at 18 ltrs / hr. Beats a 152 into a cocked hat, and is fun !

Instruct on a Tecnam Golf, low wing. An early student was around 78, but an experienced W.W.II pilot, soon after starting again asked to book the a/c for 11th Nov. Turned out he married at 11 mins past 11.oo am on the 11th of November in 1944, took his 60th wedd. anniversary bride for a ride at 11 mins past 11.oo 60 years to the minute after saying " I will ". Brings tears to your eyes.

Last week a local W.W. I War Memorial was moved and re-commemorated on the 11th. Guess who flew his now 65 th wedding anniversary bride over the ceremony ? He's around 84 yrs old now, reputedly the only W.W.II pilot still flying solo in NZ. Uses a checklist now, reckons his memory isn't what it was !

Keep going.

welliewanger
14th Nov 2009, 09:48
Bose-X
I hate the way people are so bitchy on this site! Don't jump to conclusions! I'm not an hour builder, I already have a "jet job", so don't need any hours. I instruct because I love it.

BRL
14th Nov 2009, 16:32
I don't think Bose-X is being bitchy, you just know when he is being bitchy! :D

Look at his offer further up the page though, very kind indeed.

Kiltie
14th Nov 2009, 16:37
Hear hear Welliewanger.

welliewanger
14th Nov 2009, 17:05
Yes, it was a very kind offer.

funfly
16th Nov 2009, 08:27
Thanks to your comments and some additional work with Bose-X I am able to continue to be a 'pilot' when my JAR expires by revamping my old NPPL.

A lot of thanks to Bose - X for the help he has given me.

FF

kevmusic
16th Nov 2009, 17:33
.......the milk of human kindness runs thick and fast here on PPRuNE! To put matters in balance, I too have been offered a little differences training gratis - in this case by Stiknruda, on his delicious Pitts S2A! :D (After I get me ticket.........)

BRL
16th Nov 2009, 20:46
Thanks to your comments and some additional work with Bose-X I am able to continue to be a 'pilot' when my JAR expires by revamping my old NPPL.

A lot of thanks to Bose - X for the help he has given me.

FF

Fantastic. :)

Well done Bose and Stik, some Karma heading up your way :)