PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar down in Alaska

Cyclic Hotline
26th Jul 2001, 09:15
Sincere condolences to the family and colleagues of the Pilot lost in this accident.

Pilot Dies in British Jet Crash

FAIRBANKS, Alaska - A British military jet crashed on a training mission in a remote area of Alaska on Wednesday, killing the pilot, officials said.

The single-seat Royal Air Force fighter was on a joint exercise with the U.S. Air Force when it went down in west of Eagle, near the Canadian border.

Eielson Air Force Base spokeswoman Maj. Valerie Trefts said the plane was running a mission simulating a ground attack when it disappeared from radar.

The Royal Air Force confirmed that the pilot's body was found in the wreckage. The pilot wasn't identified.

Cyclic Hotline
26th Jul 2001, 09:20
From the Electronic Telegraph.

RAF pilot dies in Alaska crash

An RAF pilot has died after his jet crashed during a training exercise in Alaska.

The body of the pilot, based at RAF Coltishall in Norfolk, was found in the wreckage of the Jaguar plane in a remote area west of Eagle, near the Canadian border.

"We can confirm that the wreckage of a British Jaguar which was on a joint exercise with the US Air Force in Alaska has been found following a search by the US Air Force," a Ministry of Defence spokesman said.

"The body of the pilot was with the plane."

The pilot's identity is not being released until next of kin are identified, the spokesman added.

The single-seater plane was one of four jets taking part in the Cooperative Cope Thunder, a two-week international military air exercise. The mission had been due to end tomorrow, officials at the Eielson Air Force Base said.

It had apparently been running a normal mission simulating a ground attack when it disappeared from radar screens.

Lucifer
26th Jul 2001, 12:46
A British Royal Air Force pilot died when his fighter jet crashed in Alaska.
The plane crashed on Wednesday as it was taking part in a training exercise.

The body of the pilot - based at RAF Coltishall in Norfolk - was found in the wreckage in a remote area west of Eagle, near the Canadian border, the British Ministry of Defence said.

"We can confirm that the wreckage of a British Jaguar which was on a joint exercise with the US Air Force in Alaska has been found following a search by the US Air Force," said an MoD spokesman.

The body of the pilot was with the plane, the spokesman added.

The pilot's identity is not being released until next of kin are identified.

The single-seater plane was one of four jets flying a mission during the Cooperative Cope Thunder, an international military air exercise.

The two-week exercise began on 16 July and ends Friday, Major Valerie Trefts of Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska said.

Major Trefts said the plane was running a normal mission simulating a ground attack when it disappeared from radar.

From BBC news

Low and Slow
26th Jul 2001, 13:02
Condolences to the family and his Squadron mates.

Captain Widebody
26th Jul 2001, 15:30
Sincerest condolences to the family and to all in Alaska and back at Coltishall.

Have Peace with you now.

Mowgli
26th Jul 2001, 16:30
Sincere condolences to family, friends and colleagues.

Evergreen 41
26th Jul 2001, 16:31
He has been named on my local TV station, not sure if it is form to name him here, suffice to say he was just 28, married with no children.

Sincere condolences, a very sad day.

D-IFF_ident
26th Jul 2001, 18:26
http://www.lineone.net/newswire/cgi-bin/newswire.cgi/skynews/uk/story/2001/7/c--2001-7-26-1n21.html

The Jaguar Fan Club
26th Jul 2001, 19:44
See the other thread in this forum re the accident.

Still hasn't sunk in yet....

It is hard to believe I was drinking with Jase a matter of weeks ago, after seeing him for the first time since my UAS days...he was sqn senior stude back then. A fine role model for us younger studes. I am sure the others who were on "Scotland's Finest" with Jase will agree.

My thoughts are with his wife and family. I am sure everyone at Colt will give him a fitting send off.

RIP.

TJFC

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: The Jaguar Fan Club ]

Min Decent Ht
26th Jul 2001, 19:47
:( Sad news. Our thoughts are with Jase's family.
Jag mates- drink it dry.

MOA
26th Jul 2001, 21:46
I had the privilige of going through flying training with the man and I have yet to find an individual who was so enthusiastic about his work. My thoughts are with his wife, friends and family.

RIP horseboy..

RoboAlbert
26th Jul 2001, 23:11
Unspeakably tragic. I was one of Jase's instructors during his UAS days. He was without match - an unbelievably talented pilot, a natural leader and a warm funny human being. My thoughts are with R and the rest of his family.

Jase was, what we should all aspire to be. Rest easy.

Ed Winchester
26th Jul 2001, 23:35
Had the pleasure of meeting Jase on the Winter Survival Course this year, having known his father for many years. My heartfelt condolences to his wife and family.

Once again, things are put into perspective.

Jackonicko
26th Jul 2001, 23:46
Once the press have named him, it's silly not to do so here, though I'd applaud the level-headedness and lack of leaping to specious conclusions about the cause of this tragedy.

I didn't really know him, but when I met him, he seemed like a typical example of the kind of chap who gives journos like me the impression that the Jag Force is something of an elite.

A sad day for his mates, his colleagues and for Coltishall.

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: Jackonicko ]

Oggin Aviator
27th Jul 2001, 00:31
Spent a great 3 weeks with him recently on a course. A true gentleman and a top bloke, this has come as a complete shock.

Rest in Peace.

bgrbt
27th Jul 2001, 00:42
A massive loss. I've never met someone more unassuming, or level headed about the job he did. Jase struck me as being so enthusiastic about flying the Jag. Yet he still had massive interest in every other aspect of flying in the RAF and the jobs done by other aircrew. No elitism about him whatsoever. We drank many beers earlier this year during an unforgettable week in Germany and I was looking forward to drinking a few more.

My thoughts with Jase's Wife, Family (particularly his father whom I know), and to 54 Sqn and the rest of the Jag force. I hope the mess runs dry.

In your own words Jase, "I will truly miss the good times."

uncle peter
27th Jul 2001, 01:04
never have i met someone so unassuming, talented and downright bloody nice. this is a great loss not only for rupes and his family but to the raf. if there was ever going to be an ambassador for the right kind of person the raf wants to attract, it would be jase. absolutely gutted

rest now horseboy

Incipient Sinner
27th Jul 2001, 02:14
I had the pleasure of sharing a beer or three with Jase during my time at Lossie. He was a top bloke.

My heart goes out to his family and all on the Jag force.

tiggy
27th Jul 2001, 02:32
Rest easy, Jase, mate. It was a privilege knowing you.

Snapshot
27th Jul 2001, 02:37
Go well mate.
Snaps.

Batwing
27th Jul 2001, 05:27
One of the best Tigers we ever had on 74 (F) Sqn, very sad loss, condolences to his wife and family from the ex-Tiger boys.

Rest easy Horseboy.

B clam
27th Jul 2001, 14:02
Taught Jase at Linton. The plaudits already mentioned are totally true. Whatever he decided to do in the future would have been a success. RIP

More lookout
27th Jul 2001, 21:08
I met Jase, whilst living in the mess at Valley. A sad loss for everyone, having worked with his dad, i knew just how proud they were of each other, especially when i saw them both at Jasons grad at Valley.

my and my wife's thoughts are with all those who have lost someone very special.

Captain Kirk
28th Jul 2001, 02:22

Commiserations. Have a safe trail home.

Audax Omnia Perpeti.

Sagar Lout
29th Jul 2001, 00:31
:( :(

Sagar Lout
29th Jul 2001, 00:40
Jase was my best friend, confidant, R's husband, M's son, L's son, M's grandson the finest, most wonderfully gifted person I have ever had the pleasure to know. Rest easy Jase the Ace we will always love and miss you and be privileged to have known you. Love Dad xxx :(

HayesN
29th Jul 2001, 00:45
Thank You everyone for the wonderful messages about Jason. He was my Nephew and a very special person. Those of your who know His wife Rupee and his Dad (my Brother) will know how much all the family will miss him. your messages mean a lot to the family. Thanks again.

Sagar Lout
29th Jul 2001, 00:50
Dear Fellow aviators and Very Nice people, The passing of Jase is a disaster for all who knew and loved him; all parents should have a son like him. He was the most wonderful person I have ever had the pleasure to know and meet. Hard luck 'Jase the Ace', 'Horseboy', 'Bullseye'. The good die young and you were bloody good and too bloody young!! Love Dad xxxxx :(

HEIGHTSGOODBACK5
29th Jul 2001, 08:34
Knew Jase since he was a very young boy All he wanted was to fly.
My deepest sympathy to his wife and family,especially Laurie who was so proud of his son

2 TWU
29th Jul 2001, 11:51
Like B clam, I had the pleasure of teaching Jase at Linton and meeting his family at the Grad Lunch. An enormous loss, a leading member of one of the best courses at Linton in the past few years.

CleanScope
29th Jul 2001, 22:12
HIGH FLIGHT
by John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds -- and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

A great loss.

Clean Scope

Uncle Ginsters
29th Jul 2001, 22:51
CS, i think that just about says it all.

I had the privilege to be led into the RAF by Jase whilst a member of 'Scotland's Finest'. He was certainly one of the finest to have graced our service and an inspiration to many whom i have known.

Sincerest condolences to R and the rest of the family, and to those who must continue in his absence.

May your Smile beam on forever in peace,

Uncle G

P.s. RoboAlbert - Good to see you're still around. Still racing up hills?

[ 29 July 2001: Message edited by: Uncle Ginsters ]

jagr117
29th Jul 2001, 23:50
what can i say but too young. Jase, my cous, is what i wish to be - a damn good fighter pilot for the RAF and one of the nicest men you will ever meet. My condolences to R, Uncle L, Aunt M , my dad and the rest of the people who knew him...
just remember the good times and that he loved every second of what he did

vhayes
30th Jul 2001, 00:40
My brother, Dad and Uncle, have all put out such heartfelt messages. I can only add that Jase, my cousin, was a remarkable man. My prayers also go out to M, L, D, R, my parents and all of the people whose lives were touched by him. He was a source of pride for our entire family. I will miss your contagious smile, Jason. God be with you always.

Tor

gregor_jackson
30th Jul 2001, 02:27
"It is indeed a very dark day for us all, when one of the brightest lights the world has known is prematurely extinguished"
My deepest thoughts and sincere condolences go out to R and all the family.
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say Jase's enthusiasm will always be an inspiration to us all.
Jase, I only hope I can be half the man you were.
RIP :(

Adastral
30th Jul 2001, 02:29
Gutted! A wonderful pilot and a sincere and genuine individual. It was a privilage to have known him. The RAF needs men like Jase - he will be a great loss.

My thoughts and prayers with R and the Family.

Per Ardua. :(

kbf1
30th Jul 2001, 03:28
There is little I can say other than to offer my condolences and assure the family that your son is in my thoughts and prayers.

M Hayes
31st Jul 2001, 01:52
Jason's sister and I thank you all for the wonderful things you have all said about my lovely son. We always knew he was special, and we are glad you all think so as well. Take care all you other flyers. Wave to Jas for us if you see him up there.

Hidden Dragon
31st Jul 2001, 11:52
Didn't know Jase, never met him, only knew of him. I can only say that I wish I had known him.

This FJ nav has just been reduced to tears reading all the tributes. Shame he flew Jags and deprived us navs of a decent pilot!

I'm sure his family and friends appreciate the high regard in which he was held by so many in the RAF.

May his soul rest in peace - sincere condolences to his wife and family. You have lost someone special.

yellow and black
1st Aug 2001, 02:10
Laurie - I know how much Jase meant to you and I can't even start to imagine how you are feeling. Words will be of little comfort but we are all thinking of you and the rest of Jase's family. You have been a great comfort to many in the past and we are here for you now.

Swept
1st Aug 2001, 14:42
if you only met jase a few times then you were instantly aware of a man who knew happiness both in himself,in his job,with his family and in his gorgeous wife and soulmate,R.if you were fortunate to train with him from day 1 in the Air Force and through the trials of fast jet flying training then you really saw a deeper jase. A deeply compassionate, caring and thoughtful bloke . It didn't matter where you were,in the crew room at valley after a poor sortie or on a ski slope in Norway bantering each other, Jase was always part of the action.
A more professional aviator you will never meet. The posts here say it all. A great loss to his family, his friends and the Air Force.
I'll miss you horseboy.

Roy Alflyt
1st Aug 2001, 20:06
I knew Jase from UAS and he was one of the finest of "Scotland's Finest." He was omnipresent in all activities and he shone amongst strong characters and his sense of humour, professionalism and love of flying was very much in evidence. I went to his grad at Linton and there were few surprises as he scooped all the the trophies.
He was a rare talent and will be sorely missed. My thoughts and deepest sympathy in this dark hour go to his wife R, and the rest of his family.

BEagle
1st Aug 2001, 21:43
Never knew the mate - except possibly anonymously over the R/T. But it's abundantly clear that he was a very popular and talented chap who will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him either personally or professionally. A desperately saddening loss to his loved ones - I hope that they might take a little consolation from knowing that, if it isn't a cliche, his wings were forever folded whilst he was doing what he loved.

Jase, you're probably a JP up there with bad old blokes like Bader bouncing you from out of the sun, but your friends will always treasure having had the privilege to have known you.

Dunx
1st Aug 2001, 23:05
Nothing short of a tradgedy......

My thoughts and condolences are with R and the rest of Jase's family.

Jase was the figure on "Scotland's Finest" that confirmed my vision of an RAF FJ pilot. Happy, funny, professional and damned good at aviating.

Jase always saw the good in people, even when others had given up. A rare quality in any man.

I believe that every person that had even the slightest contact with Jase, are of the privileged few in this world.

Rest now Horseboy, you've finally reached the top of "Sunshine Mountain."

"Lest we forget" http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/jpshakehead.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/jpshakehead.gif

WAZAAAG
1st Aug 2001, 23:23
I AM JASONS NEPHEW AND I AM VERY TOUCHED BY THE RESPONSE GIVEN HERE, AND I KNOW THAT RUPS IS COMFORTED.....SOMEWHAT , I JUST HOPE I CAN LIVE UP 2 HIS LEGACY.

AND BE JUST A GOOD A PILOT AS HE.
THANKQ AGAIN

amwaluk
1st Aug 2001, 23:33
Known Jase for many years since his time at Lossie.Just wanted to add my sincere condolences to his family in their time of need.He was indeed a man of great character and sincerity.I for one will miss talking and bantering with the guy.

May you rest in peace. :( :(

slim boy fat
2nd Aug 2001, 01:29
My deepest condolences to the family and sqn mates of a man I had the pleasure to meet briefly at Linton and later on at WSS- an unforgetable character and true gent.

MirandaHayes
2nd Aug 2001, 06:57
From the other side of the pond, my love and deepest sympathy to Jason's family and all those who knew him, most especially Lawrence, Margaret, Debbie and Rupee. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

scmears
3rd Aug 2001, 10:16
Our condolences to all the family, most especially Lawrence, Margaret, Debbie and Rupee. We are so sorry that we can't be with you at this time and we are thinking of you all, most especially next Tuesday. Whilst we can't be there, if there is anything you need, please let us know. Jason will be dearly missed by all the family and his friends. It has been touching to read all the messages and to know that there are so many people thinking of you. We pray that in time the pain becomes more bearable. With all our love, Simon, Saskia and Niamh.

c130jbloke
4th Aug 2001, 21:40
Rest in peace.

Rupee
5th Aug 2001, 15:04
A Big THANKYOU to all you lovely people for your comforting words. I and all the family are overwhelmed at your kindness.
J was my world....
Fly safely all, R

Geoff Penn
6th Aug 2001, 01:17
I have known Laurie, Jason's father since we were at school together. We have watched both our sons growing up and shared their successes and failures.

Jason was always a delight to know from a very early age and we watched his progress through school and his flying career with a great sense of pride. He was always bursting with life and enthusiasm.

We share with R and his family a very great sense of shock and loss. To those who flew with him we ask that you revere his memory.

He will always be to us what his father always called him - "a star".

Shine brightly forever Jason.

Hal
6th Aug 2001, 21:04
I had the greatest pleasure in being Jase's Flt Cdr when he first pitched up at Linton, and it took few sorties to realise his aeros were far better than my own at a fraction of the hours on type. He exemplified the finest traditions of the air force and was a breath of fresh air in an environment where so many tended to be so cynical so early in their careers. My experience with his, my final, course at Linton was so much more enjoyable as a direct result. I had lost track of him after his graduation from BFJTS, but was fortunate to run into him at Lossie as he worked up for Alaska - so very satisfying to see that he lost none of the enthusiasm whilst had obviously developed into a talented first tourist.

The service is most certainly a lesser place without him. Keep the beers cool up there, Jase me ol'.

Swampy Chock
7th Aug 2001, 00:39
Us lineys and groundcrew will miss this professional, sociable and talented individual. He was everything an officer should be. We are hurting. However our thoughts are with the family.

RIP Sir....

Frank Spenny
8th Aug 2001, 02:54
:( :( Knew Jase from the UAS days then from my time on the ton, He wasn't in 'Scotlands Finest' But he was without a doubt one of Scotlands Finest... Scottish UAS's need to stick together... Heard the news today, and looked here to find out more. I didn't know his wife or family, but the tributes I have read here tonight go some way to explain to those of you who are browsing here for more news as to what a fantastic fella he was. My heart goes out to all of Jase's family - Wife, Mum, Dad, Siblings, colleagues, anyone whose life he touched. I think that the length of this thread goes a little way to suggest what a thoroughly great guy Jase was, and I hope it gets a whole lot longer. Sincerest condolances to all those close to Jason.

Keep a microwaved cheese sandwich hot for me up there mate...

If anyone (Sagar Lout) out there can get me details of the latest funeral arrangements, I'd very much like to be there. Thank you.

RIP Jase

[ 07 August 2001: Message edited by: Frank Spenny ]

Woz
9th Aug 2001, 04:47
RIP Jase, good to have known you.

Scotland's Finest still hold you close to your hearts; you were one of our best and won't be forgotten.

If someone could let ADStAUAS know of the funeral arrangements, I'm sure they'd want someone there.

Flipper.
10th Aug 2001, 23:51
Condolences from all present members of 'Scotland's Finest'

Jackonicko
21st Aug 2001, 14:57
Just to make it easier for Jase's family (re Sagar Lout's thread).....