PDA

View Full Version : Falklands, bye bye?

Scud-U-Like
25th Jul 2001, 22:43
With the PM due to visit Argentina next week, can we expect an announcement along the following lines (broadcast in Blair staccato grinovision)?:

"It's now twenty years since the Falklands conflict. And while we should not forget those, on both sides, who gave their lives in that conflict, it is time for us to recognise that our greatly improved relations with Argentina, mean that we can no longer justify committing large numbers of British forces and military equipment to the Falkland Islands.

I have today signed an accord with President de la Rua, that provides for the withdrawal of British forces from the Falkland Islands by the end of 2002, whilst guaranteeing that Argentina will not attempt to assert her claim to the Islands, other than by diplomatic means.

This is a historic agreement and a fitting tribute to the sailors, soldiers and airmen who gave their lives in the Falklands conflict".

Tonkenna
25th Jul 2001, 23:47
Sadly I doubt it very much. It is one of the best places for senior officers to get themselves noticed and therefore promoted. Each time a new one turns up everything gets changed as the wheel is re-invented.

Probably lose a Regt, an F3 Sqn and a ship if we pulled out.

Oh well, thankfully the Tutor cannot get there, and as it can't fly in cloud we couldn't do anything anyway :) :)

Tonks :D

N Genfire
26th Jul 2001, 01:05
remind me again of how many people we are protecting down their?

Regards N Genfire

Dan Winterland
26th Jul 2001, 01:07
Plus of course Tonks, you would only be able to make progress downwind! :)

Personally, I think the Falklands are a marvellous training environment and it would be a great shame to lose the training opportunities that the complex tactical situation offers. I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed all of my nine detachments in those hallowed Islands and beleive that the garrison should be doubled in size to maximise the training value.

Cynics amongst you may point out that I am only saying this because I only have two days left to serve in the RAF, but in all seriousness, I will truly miss my twice yearly dets to the oasis of the Southern Hemisphere.

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: Dan Winterland ]

BEagle
26th Jul 2001, 01:22
....and the cynics would be right! But perhaps you have a certain affinity with the Bennies down there, eh mate? After all, some of us have seen that photo of you!!

Specaircrew
26th Jul 2001, 01:39
And of course it won't get mentioned at his leaving barrel tomorrow :-)

willbav8r
26th Jul 2001, 02:29
Didn't Chamberlain once have a "signed piece of paper" etc?

MarkD
26th Jul 2001, 13:39
N Genfire

I doubt it's so much "how many people" as "How many million barrels"... :D

Flatus Veteranus
26th Jul 2001, 15:40
Not a pint of the black stuff has been drawn down there. Ideal spot for the next G8 summit?

N Genfire
26th Jul 2001, 21:43
Not enough caviar, flat m8.
Maybe we should practice for the next G8 by deploying to the falklands, barricading mrs miggins pie shop, make her sit in there talking to bob the postman while we truncheon some penguins and arrest the locals and hold them for 4 days. sounds like fun now wheres me adventure training application gone..................

Regards N Genfire

MarkD
26th Jul 2001, 22:15
FV

no drilling as yet but apparently (last I heard anyway) very decent geology. Trouble would be that the bases for the rigs would have to be in Argentina (politically unattractive) or Falklands (not attractive if you're not into isolation). One to tuck away for 50-60 dollar/barrel times, which if the Israelis and Palestinians don't cop on, might not be far off.

Fire up google.com and type in Falklands oil and see for yourself... I just did and found a good bit, must go read it now...

bluntie
28th Jul 2001, 22:29
They were drilling when I was there in '98, don't know the outcome though.

Dan Winterland
29th Jul 2001, 00:47
Oil, but not in ecomically viable quantities. A lot of Bennies ahd already decided how they were going to spend their millions and were somewhat disapointed.

xsimba
30th Jul 2001, 00:56
Ahh, how I miss those nights spent on Q. The endless hours of the Fast Show and James Bond.

These days all I have to look forward to is yet another party with a bevy of hosties, my wallet being stuffed with allowances and yet another hangover!

How I miss the Queen's shilling. :D

BEagle
30th Jul 2001, 01:48
......as much as we miss you! Hope the novelty of Sir Dickie's people-tubes doesn't wear off too quickly!

only1leftmate!
30th Jul 2001, 20:48
Proven reserves have been found and tranches sold off. The main delay is the drilling and recovery methods. Combined drilling platforms/storage ships are likely to be the solution. And just wait until we get into the antartic.......