PDA

View Full Version : G-reg CJ2 off runway excursion at Cannes today 9/11/09

CirrusF
9th Nov 2009, 19:26
Cannes airfield was closed most of the afternoon due to a CJ incident today. I heard it was G-reg and some sort of tyre failure. Weather was fine, runway dry.

CEQforever
10th Nov 2009, 07:55
G-MROO stuck 2 wheels into the mud yesterday.

Took a little while to pull her out as this years airport budget had been spent on new palm trees instead of a little lifting device. :mad:

Crosswind Limits
10th Nov 2009, 10:50
Do we know more? How did it end up with 2 wheels in the mud?

Flintstone
10th Nov 2009, 12:37
Apparently (insert usual disclaimers here) the use of emergency brake resulted in a couple of popped tyres.

No injuries, which is the important part.

G-SPOTs Lost
10th Nov 2009, 12:57
Well done the crew I say.... popped tyres easily done with the red handle , funny old airport Cannes, a regular place for most of us but swings all the way from fairly straightforward to bloody hard work with a Westerly. Bet Nice or Toulon was fun yesterday afternoon

CEQforever
10th Nov 2009, 13:07
no injuries, no damage to airframe.

Crosswind Limits
10th Nov 2009, 13:39
Glad everyone ok and nothing too serious! :ok:

Know of a few guys who fly that airframe!

ericthepilot
10th Nov 2009, 16:44
If there was an imminent brake failure why did they choose Cannes ?
If they diverted to Nice, where there are longer runways, the landing might have been uneventful.
I know armchair aviation is easy, but when did the normal brake failure occur ?

CirrusF
10th Nov 2009, 16:50
They took off from Nice (having just refuelled). I suspect they knew nothing of the problem (if there was one) until they touched down.

learjet50
10th Nov 2009, 16:54
Edited.

No textspeak thanks.

Duck

His dudeness
10th Nov 2009, 19:03
Last time I flew a CJ2 (sunday the 8th) there was a light. Whenever you select gear down that little electrical pump will work the pressure in the system up and if it does so sucessfully, the light stays out. If there is a leak past the brake valves and you donīt press the brakes before touchdown for a while (not required by checklist) you wonīt know of the failure. If the failure occurs just whilst applying brake pressure after touchdown there is naturally no warning. (And there is no connection between an engine driven hydraulic pump and the brake system, just that one electrical pump)
A common thing is that the CB for the pump is pulled during mx and overlooked when the airplane is picked up. I know of 2 cases of red faces by that, one was a very close shave with a fuel truck in a Excel.(Same system on C500-560, C525,C560XL/S)

Just as a sidenote: very few people brief for takeoff that this very light is one of those you should not abort a takeoff for. I try to bring this subject up on the checkrides I give and usually it takes a while to generate faith in what I say...

CL300
11th Nov 2009, 16:41
I was right on the threshold 17 when they landed, just a quick glance at the type and the touchdown, everything looked fine; head back to work then unusual noise, head up..aircraft in the grass....
They went off well before the intermediate taxiway; my first thought was that they tried to make this exit with inop anti_skid. But report says brake failure so , it must be so.

By the way the intermediate exits will be limited to aircraft less than 3 tons, all the others exit at the end...