PDA

View Full Version : Compass error ANDS

boofhead
9th Nov 2009, 16:30
Here is a Wiki article that a mate of mine learning to fly in the far north of the American continent showed me. It refers to deliberately weighting a compass card to compensate for dip. It seems to me that if this was done it would exacerbate the ANDS error and I doubt that it is actually a practice, at least I have never heard of it. Neither do I think it is important in real life, but has anyone heard of this before and is it true?
"[edit] Magnetic dip
A second limitation is magnetic dip. When the aircraft is at any altitude above the Earth's surface, the compass dial will tend to align itself with the geomagnetic field and dip toward the northern magnetic pole when in the northern hemisphere, or toward the southern magnetic pole when in the southern hemisphere. At the equator this error is negligible. As an aircraft flies closer to either pole the dipping error becomes more prevalent to the point that the compass can become unreliable because its pivot point has surpassed its 18 degrees of tilt. Magnetic dip is caused by the downward pull of the magnetic poles and is greatest near the poles themselves. A weight is often placed on the compass of the aircraft on the equatorial side to help negate this effect. Compass navigation near the polar regions, however, is nearly impossible due to the errors caused by this effect.

When in straight and level flight the effect of magnetic dip is of no concern. However when the aircraft is turned to a new heading the following two rules apply for the northern hemisphere:

First, when on an easterly or westerly heading and the aircraft accelerates, the inertia effect of the weight on the compass in the magnet causes the compass to show a false turn towards the north if in the northern hemisphere or vice versa a false turn towards the south if in the southern hemisphere. Also if the aircraft is decelerated the compass will show a false turn towards the south in the northern hemisphere and false turn towards the north in the southern hemisphere. The force is neutralized when the aircraft has reached its velocity and the magnetic compass will then read the proper heading. Pilots in the northern hemisphere remember this by the acronym ANDS; accelerate north, decelerate south. The opposite occurs when you decelerate. This error is eliminated while accelerating or decelerating on heading of exactly North or exactly South.

Second, when on a northerly heading and a turn towards the east or west is made the inertia effect of the weight on the compass in the magnet causes the compass to lag behind the actual heading the aircraft is flying through. This lag will slowly diminish as the aircraft approaches either east or west and will be approximately correct when on an east or west heading. When the aircraft turns further towards South, the magnetic compass needle will tend to lead the actual heading of the aircraft. When a turn is made from south to an east or west heading the compass will lead the actual heading the aircraft is flying through, it will diminish as the aircraft approaches either east or west, and it will lag as the aircraft turns further towards North. The magnitude of the lead/lag will be approximately equal to the aircraft's latitude. (An aircraft at 30° north latitude will need to undershoot 30° while turning directly north, and overshoot 30° while turning directly south) The pilots community uses acronym UNOS (undershoot North overshoot South) to memorize this rule. Some other acronyms which pilots find easier to remember is NOSE (North Opposite, South Exceeds), OSUN (Overshoot South, Undershoot North), and South Leads, North Lags [opposite in the southern hemisphere] This guideline is based not on a standard-rate turn, but on a bank angle of 15°-18°, which would equal a standard rate turn at the airspeeds typical of light aircraft."

bfisk
10th Nov 2009, 08:40
I too can remember this; and I used a paperclip on an upside down styrofoam cup on a ballpoint pen to demonstrate this when I was instructing.

The Instrument Flying Handbook (8083-15) states that "The float is balanced with a small dip-compensating weight, so it stays relatively level when operating in the middle latitudes of the northern hemisphere. This dip along with this weight causes two very noticable errors: northerly turning error and acceleration error"

My JAA ATPL manuals also talk about N.T.error and acc.error, but they attribute the latter to the mounting of the pivot point being off-centre, thus shifting the CG, rather than having a central pivot point with added off-centre mass; however the result is quite the same.

When it came to all these acronyms; I found that a lot of my students had a hard time with undershoot north, overshoot south. Was it OSUN? UNOS? SUNO? What? So I taught the way I was thinking about the problem during my initial instrument training; in the north pole there are polar bears, which you have to keep away from, so you have to "roll out early". But in the south, like in Mexico, things are very relaxed, and you have plenty of time to roll out late.
:)

werbil
10th Nov 2009, 10:46
Yes, I remember and have observed this.

poldek77
10th Nov 2009, 15:48
The Instrument Flying Handbook (8083-15) states that "The float is balanced with a small dip-compensating weight, so it stays relatively level when operating in the middle latitudes of the northern hemisphere. This dip along with this weight causes two very noticable errors: northerly turning error and acceleration error"

Compensating the residual dip (it's a compromise between magnetic force trying to position the element at actual dip angle and gravity trying to keep it level) is not the priority.
Following that we would need a couple of compassess in cockpit for such routes like New York-Buenos Aires or London-Cape Town, each for a specific range of latitudes. Makes no sense.
And if we put some weight on one side of a compass float then we will have even greater errors from inertia during acceleration/deceleration or turns.
The magnetic element (float) actually hangs below the pivot and although its CG is usually aside - this makes the compass usable all over the world (polar regions excluded).