PDA

View Full Version : NATS medical and migraines

Pat42
9th Nov 2009, 14:49
Hi everyone,

Just had a quick question I was wondering if anyone had any experience of...

I've just sat stage 3 of NATS ATCO selection and am waiting to hear the result. If I'm through the next stage will be medicals, of which there is a NATS company medical and then a European class 3 administered by the CAA.

I have two medical conditions which I've been worrying may present a small hurdle. Both are to do with headaches. From NATS website all I can find is a document which states:

Neurological Requirements

An applicant shall have no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any neurological condition which is likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of the applicable licence(s) / certificate(s) of competence.

The following conditions are disqualifying:
(1) progressive disease of the nervous system.
(2) epilepsy.
(3) conditions with a high propensity for cerebral dysfunction.

The first condition is a chronic headache. I've had it for over 7 years with no significant change in symptoms. Intensity can vary over the course of several days but it is generally very predictable and I have become very effective at managing it and it has no effect on my ability to conduct day to day tasks. I am not particularly worried about this condition.

The second condition I have recently been diagnosed with is migraine. I am awaiting an MRI just to confirm it is nothing more sinister. The symptoms are extremely mild: the pain is almost completely masked by the above mentioned condition and whilst it is an annoyance it has little effect on my ability to conduct day to day tasks. In addition to this I often experience some very mild nuerological symptoms including a numbing sensation around the mouth which can occassionally extend elsewhere (sometimes the tongue, sometimes my fingers). Again, this is a mild annoyance but does not prohibit my performance of day to day tasks or restrict or limit me in any other way. I typically experience symptoms every few days, but am able to just ignore them and go about my normal life without incident.

My question is, does anyone know if such a migraine might be a problem or has anyone had experience of the NATS or CAA medicals for ATCOs who suffers from this or a similar condition? I would hardly describe either of my conditions as having a "high propensity for cerebral dysfunction", but will the medical assessors see things in the same way?

Pat42
10th Nov 2009, 08:22
This is what I had worried about :(

The stupid thing is that the symptoms are so mild the condition is hardly a real migraine. I know a few people who suffer from migraine quite seriously and I can entirely understand why such a condition would be disqualifying, when it strikes it can be completely debilitating (particularly if sufferers have additional symptoms such as aura). But in my circumstances the only thing that distinguishes the condition as a migraine rather than just a normal headache is the fact that the pain is accompanied by a very slight sensation of numbness around the mouth.

Obviously I'd never want to put myself in a role where I was unable to carry out my duties due to medical issues, but the way the condition presents itself there is absolutely no reason to think that this would be an issue. To be honest, I have my doubts as to whether its even a migraine at all, the way the symptoms occur is very non-standard and I know from my previous condition (which was also incorrectly diagnosed as migraine at one point) that some nuerologists have a propensity for over diagnosing the condition and simply slap it on anything to do with head pain they don't quite understand.

Do you know how much room there is for flexibility in individual cases? Or alternatively, if I saw a different nuerologist who might be able to give a different diagnosis would I still have to disclose the original diagnosis?

Loose rivets
10th Nov 2009, 19:22
Does the chronic headache build up after waking, or is it there right away?

Pat42
11th Nov 2009, 10:53
It is there upon waking and is more or less constant throughout the day. I might have a day or two where it is a little bit worse than normal, or a day or two where it is a little bit better, but on the whole it is very consistent and will not vary significantly during the course of any one day. As I say, I've had this condition for over 7 years, it is extremely stable and well managed.

I'm sure that it might effect my performance in some way, but its effects are consistent and predictable; i.e. my performance at NATS selection was my performance under the influence of the condition and, based upon the past 7 years of experience, there is no reason to believe that the condition will effect me any more significantly in the future.

throw a dyce
11th Nov 2009, 14:29
Pat42,
Do you take any Triptans? I was told if they were prescribed then that could lose the medical.

Pat42
11th Nov 2009, 16:57
Nope, I take no medication what so ever. Both conditions are managed effectively without the need for medication. Will this be in my favour?

In the past I have been prescribed various prophylactics for the chronic condition, but none of these helped and I've not been on any medication for at least 4 or 5 years.

Pat42
13th Nov 2009, 12:13
Well, the good news is that discussion with some other doctors suggests I have good reason to believe that the migraine diagnosis may not be the most appropriate. Bad news is that it's time for more poking and prodding whilst they try and work out what is wrong with me... fingers crossed it'll be something a little less likely to be disqualifying :\