PDA

View Full Version : flyNiki/Air Berlin -vs- Ryanair

Tigger4Me
7th Nov 2009, 18:18
Can I say that this is NOT a, “Let’s knock Ryanair” thread but one that does pose a question as you will see. I use Ryanair when I have to, i.e. when the price is right, and get what I pay for. It does what it says on the tin and so long as you know the rules you should not have anything to complain about... BUT

This week I sampled another loco, fkyNiki, from PMI to LIS and found some interesting differences:

1. My fare included (optional) on line check in with seat selection at no extra cost.
2. 20 kgs of luggage with an additional 5 kgs of hand luggage.
3. An allocated seat, so no mad rush or scramble for what each individual perceives to be the ‘best’ seat.
4. Greeted and attended by charming, smartly dressed FAs who, despite being German/Austrian nationals, all spoke perfect English.
5. A comfortable seat with ample legroom in a smart aircraft that did not bear any resemblance to a bus.
6. Two seat back pockets; one in the headrest for safety card, menu, etc. The other in the seat back for personal belongings.
7. Multi channel audio entertainment (earphones extra).
8. Drop down TV’s showing flight information. As a side issue, this included displays I had not seen before. During the take-off and landing phases we had a ‘view’ through the flightdeck window and during flight through left hand and right hand cabin windows. Obviously computer generated as it showed the landscape below as it would appear if it were not for the 10/10 cloud cover. Once below the clouds on the approach to LIS the views matched perfectly. Interestingly as we banked the views moved in synch.
9. During the 90 minute flight we were served with a choice of sandwiches and the drinks trolley made two runs during which I had two orange juices and a coffee. This was followed by service from the duty free shop; all without pressure and all included in the fare with the exception of alcohol and duty free. AND not a scratch card in sight. The FAs smiled through it all and were still smiling when we deplaned.
10. No charge for using a debit/credit card.

And the cost? Six Euro for the flight and 23 for the taxes and fuel surcharge.

Clearly Niki Lauda is not running his business as a charity making a record 7.1 million Euro post tax profit in 2008.

So MOL, the question clearly is, if Niki can do it... ;)

Chronistin
7th Nov 2009, 22:35
Cannot compare it to other low cost operators, as I never flew with any, but I couldn't find a difference to traditional carriers when flying Airberlin or FlyNiki. There are more smiles on FlyNiki flights than on Air Berlin, but smiles are optional & the service on both carriers is very professional IMO.

kingston_toon
8th Nov 2009, 00:38
So you paid 29 Euro for the flight? I could probably have got that for £0.01 with FR. Too expensive, even with a free sandwich.

rogerg
8th Nov 2009, 05:40
[QUOTE][/QSo you paid 29 Euro for the flight? I could probably have got that for £0.01 with FR. Too expensive, even with a free sandwichUOTE]

KT please tell me this is a wind up.

Seat62K
8th Nov 2009, 07:08
Apart from the amazing £28 offer a few years ago (and the Lidl one later), I've always found Air Berlin to be more expensive than Ryanair.

I thought Air Berlin's entry on to the Stansted-Alicante route (a regular commute for me) was interesting but it didn't last. A pity.

It also has a frequent flyer scheme and a hub-and-spoke operation out of Palma.

So, in many ways Air Berlin doesn't really look like a "low cost" carrier in the easyJet/Ryanair mould.

Dane-Ger
14th Nov 2009, 19:53
So you paid 29 Euro for the flight? I could probably have got that for £0.01 with FR. Too expensive, even with a free sandwichI'm asuming this is a joke, I think you'll find the 27 euros included baggage and check in etc etc. Unfortunately many do have this attitude towards flying today, people will quite happily pay £50 for airport parking, but will complain in shock and horror that a £50 airfare is too expensive!.

back to the original thread, I have flown with Air Berlin and Niki on many occasions and have found them unsurpassed in terms of service compared to every other loco, and more than an equal to the flag carriers.

RingwaySam
16th Nov 2009, 10:39
I flew Niki from Innsbruck to Milan via Vienna in February. Was impressed with them and will certainly use them again.

shobakker
17th Nov 2009, 13:38
Flew Lauda Air to Oz many years ago - sounds like little has changed....even had the great man himself in the flight deck on the way back - got a little certificate, photo & handshake with him as we boarded the flight...

WHBM
20th Nov 2009, 09:40
Flew Lauda Air to Oz many years ago - sounds like little has changed
A lot has changed, they are two quite different companies. Lauda Air, an independent which operated the long haul flights, got into an association with main carrier Austrian Airlines, which ended up in the brand being squeezed right out, along with founder Niki Lauda, although Austrian retained rights to the no-longer used Lauda Air name, along with the routes and fleet.

FlyNiki/Niki restarted as a different company with Niki Lauda in charge again, fresh financial backers, no mention of the word Lauda at all (although everyone in Austria knows who Niki is), and now concentrates on European flights.

rmac
3rd Dec 2009, 18:09
I use Niki regularly from Vienna to Moscow and back. My company would actually pay for me to fly business class with Austrian if I wanted, but I like the pre booked pepper chicken and spatzle for 8 Euro, which more than makes up for someone sitting in the middle seat and of course its a third of the price.

Even better, last month I had to delay a return by one day, the night before the original departure. Called the call centre, representative found the lowest cost comparitive fare to my original booking which resulted in a difference of 3 Euro plus a 50 Euro re-booking fee.

Absolutely magic ! you can't even do that with anything but full fare economy on the legacy carriers.

Niki/Air berlin are the absolute model for short haul airlines IMHO

The late XV105
11th Dec 2009, 13:18
I flew Air Berlin STN-NUE-STN in early summer this year because it was the only direct flight to NUE that I could find from the UK. Thanks to the low ticket price and that I knew they only had a desk or two at STN I thought they were some two-bit outfit like the LoCos that have come and gone, so was amazed to find a spotless new A319 that I learned on reading the in flight magazine was operated by Germany's second largest airline after Lufthansa.

I was even more amazed to find a wide range of magazines and newspapers spread out over the galley (making me think of a train station newsagent!), a proffered basket of boiled sweets on entering the cabin, food included in the price, and polite and efficient service.

The nicest touch of all however was the simplest; the on-line booking system included a simple click to load the flight details in to my Outlook calendar. Neat. Very.

If what I write sounds like an advert, it should!

XV