PDA

View Full Version : Airline failures

daynehold
7th Nov 2009, 17:28
Reported in UK Airport News:
"Fresh airline failures are predicted this winter - a time when less people fly and airline finances are most stretched - with a knock-on effect across the industry. The warning came from insurer International Passenger Protection (IPP), which said a number of airlines collapsed over the last two Christmas periods, and it expects a similar pattern this year."
What are the hot tips - BMI baby possibly?

EI-BUD
7th Nov 2009, 20:10
daynehold, rather than say what airlines that I think are most at risk I am going to mention a few that are in my view in a good/strong position outside of the obvious ones like Ryanair, Lufthansa, KLM/Air France etc.

Small carriers
Manx2 are small well run, low cost, and efficient outfit. I think they have carved a strong niche that will see them through.

Flybe.. would appear are in good shape, they are quite niche too and have a broad range of operations that dont really have alot of competition, ie Exeter, Southampton some LGW routes and in many areas the big boys have avoided them ie Easyjet, Ryanair as their cost base is effective with a cost effective prop at high enough frequency seems to do the trick.

Cityjet/VLM, I know part of AF/KLM and as such have a strong parent, but Cityjet/VLM will be strong and will emerge stronger as a result of the challenge at the moment.

I think we will see some consolidations at fairly short notice for reasons of synergy. Maybe some of the smaller regionals might link up.

In the UK I just cant see how Eastern, Air Southwest and Aurigny are managing with the combination of competition and high costs (delete for each airline where applicable) Eastern have alot of planes and have a limited flying programme for them. Air Southwest have a limited market and one could argue quite seasonal? And of course Flybe have been on the scene on the NQY LGW route. These small carriers are good and hopefully sound. The above is opinion only not casting aspersions about security of same.

On another but related note Airports, What does the future hold for some of the now little utilised airports across the UK?

Teesside/Durham Tees Valley

Kent

Opinions?

EI-BUD

The SSK
7th Nov 2009, 20:31
"Fresh airline failures are predicted this Winter". Cheap and lazy journalism. People were confidently predicting 30 or 40 failures this year - or was it last year? Airlines are always going bust, in good times as well as bad, and no doubt they will continue to do so.

SkyEurope was entirely predictable - anyone reading Pprune would have realised that. Ditto the three premium-service transatlantic carriers - their business model wad fundamentally flawed.

Most of the failures are airlines that very few people know or care about. The bigger names, normally, will be rescued in one way or another.

Little Blue
7th Nov 2009, 21:00
BABY/??
You having a laugh??? Who owns the bmi group?
LH !!! Ok, baby are cutting the a/c, but I will be willing to stake my mortgage and yours as well that they will not go bust !!
All Uk carriers will live to fight another day.

davidjohnson6
8th Nov 2009, 00:04
Wikipedia (that source of knowledge which is never wrong), lists 20 airlines as having ceased operations so far in 2009.
An insurer like International Passenger Protection is likely to have an interest in emphasising the impact of airline failures when talking to a mass audience
In agreeing with SSK, most consumers will not have heard of many of these airlines
The only UK airline I can see on the list are SkySouth who flew a single 9-seat plane from Shoreham to Normandy - a rather niche route.

Category:Airlines disestablished in 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Airlines_disestablished_in_2009)

Rainboe
8th Nov 2009, 07:57
Oh how exciting! Another 'which airline will go bust next?' discussion we can bang away at our keyboards discussing who is next for the chop! Why don't we inject some fun into it and run a sweepstake? What fun!

Ian Brooks
8th Nov 2009, 09:19
Wow of that list on Wikapedia how many would have survived without the
recession, not many at a guess and how many are household names?
not many

Ian B

Beavis and Butthead
8th Nov 2009, 10:30
What are the hot tips - BMI baby possibly?

Hot tips?? Have you really nothing better to do? Go and bet on a horse, not people's loss of their livelihood. Pathetic! :yuk:

Rainboe
8th Nov 2009, 17:11
Obviously not a living, but evidently makes his entertainment from spotting, and probably actually achieves ecstasy working out which struggling airline will be the next to fail and lose investors money and throw a lot of people who are working hard onto the unemployment list.

Good game eh! Excellent entertainment for very sad gits!

EISNN
8th Nov 2009, 17:23
Think the Mods should move in here and shut this thread down.:=

RoyHudd
8th Nov 2009, 20:57
Agreed. Ghoulish and unnecessary.