PDA

View Full Version : Zambia requires 1000 hours even for a 172 job

The Lead Sparrow
6th Nov 2009, 07:25
I have just found out that the Zambian authorities now require 1000 hours
even for a job on a 172 doing safari work.

Its not rumour control, I am actually here in Zambia looking for my first job.

I am stunned.

Any information on this new rule would be appreciated.

The pay here seems to be $1000 to $2000 a month. Any 1000 hour chaps out there fancy that?

Ronand
6th Nov 2009, 10:00
Yeah I recently applied to Proflight Zambia. At least they were kind enough to reply that I need at least 1000hrs to do anykind of flyingjob down there.
"All candidates have to have a minimum of 1000 hours total time due to Zambian DCA requirements."
It seems that most operators in Africa now require more than 500hrs even for small SE prop safari operations. This will basically cut out all the wannabes straight from flightschool......
Nice, isn't it.....:8

Ronand
6th Nov 2009, 10:47
As I said Proflight Zambia if you have more than 1000TT.... If you have a rating on Caravan or any of their types you will have even better chances of getting a job there...
Cheers

Captain_djaffar
6th Nov 2009, 11:31
that's really silly.
How will the fresh cpl 200hr chap get his first work if the minimum req. is 1000hrs for ANY kind of flying job??????

And at the same time, most of those above 1000hrs are already trying to have their a** on any line RHS.

:rolleyes:

powerstall
6th Nov 2009, 12:15
Sometimes, it's the insurance company who's dictating the experience needed.... :ok:

EladElap
6th Nov 2009, 12:18
I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Single engine piston, single crew flying can and is some of the most demanding flying you'll ever do in your life. The Zambian DCA is obviously just trying to improve their safety record and look after the tourism industry out there.

gerpols
6th Nov 2009, 12:21
Guys,

I am sorry to inform you that the Zambian DCA requires 1000 hours PIC time after obtaining your non Zambian CPL-Instr rating, to obtain a validation.
Sorry to inform you about this, but what it comes down to is that you will probably need more than 1200 hours of flighttime in your logbook.
What Zambia is doing is actually implementing ICAO ruling.
I am a Dutchman and when I wanted to validate my FAA ATPL to a national Dutch CPL, the Dutch DCA also required 1000 hrs flighttime after obtaing my FAA CPL-Instr rating.

Good luck everyone, and keep in mind, there are still plenty African nations that still have not implemented this ICAO ruling.

flying paddy
6th Nov 2009, 13:21
Guys read this:

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/tb20-experience/159-161.pdf

Cheers

FP

Captain_djaffar
6th Nov 2009, 15:17
If its ICAO ruling, then it would certainly be THE standard to be adopted later on at some point by all the countries.

Where and how would they expect someone with a CPL/IR to reach 1000 hrs before being eligible for employment??
I think it got more to do with employment by third countries.

Or am I missing something?

gerpols
6th Nov 2009, 15:46
Yes, you are missing out on something.
These requirements are for valadation of a foreign licence.
If you stay in the country that issued your licence,there is no issue !!

Pace152
6th Nov 2009, 16:41
Does that affect the people who are already out there working in Zambia who have less than 1000 hours?

I was out there myself working earlier this year, and I have less than 1000 hours.

Its gonna be bad news for some people I worked with out there if this is the case. Hopefully it wont effect them.

Bla Bla Bla
6th Nov 2009, 23:39
Captain D,

Yes you are missing something and that is the fact that they do not care how you get your first 1000hrs as its not their problem.

On a purely selfish note, excellent news less competition for me.

flying paddy
7th Nov 2009, 08:39
Guys

This ruling will not apply to those looking to work in Maun. Here you have to convert to a Botswana licence first, there are no validations.

So there is still a little light at the end of the tunnel.

All the best in finding that first job.

FP

Ronand
7th Nov 2009, 15:15
@scratchingthesky
There are almost no instructor jobs vacant in europe at the moment! That's a fact.... And those available will be mostly filled in by experienced instructors....
cheers

Neptunus Rex
7th Nov 2009, 15:41
Experienced Instructors? Whatever next!

:rolleyes:

ford cortina
8th Nov 2009, 09:46
Ronand and others, sorry to hear this, BUT you should have looked into this before starting out on the road, there are lots of CPL holders out there who never get jobs in aviation. Sad but true.

The Lead Sparrow
10th Nov 2009, 06:19
Thanks Paddy,

I am trying to get to Maun at the moment from the Copperbelt in the north of Zambia! It's a challenge to say the least.

Have you flown there?

I am trying to get to see someone at Sefofane Air Charters.

They ask you to take an exam which covers both personal and technical aspects before the interview. Any knowledge of the questions?

Or if anyone out there has any knowledge it would be appreciated.

Regards a very heavy Lead Sparrow!

Can I take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone for there help so far.

Mister Geezer
13th Nov 2009, 01:49
there are still plenty African nations that still have not implemented this ICAO ruling

A fistful of greenbacks will 'oil the wheels' in such states! :}

IO540
14th Nov 2009, 07:10
Guys, that PDF in the URL posted above is nothing to do with ICAO.

It comes out of an EASA proposal, to strip European residents of foreign license privileges when flying in EU airspace. Due c. 2012.

Hugely controversial it is too, and political dynamite, but that's another story.

The full EASA document (which that extract comes from) is here (http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/r/doc/NPA/NPA%202008-17b.pdf).

Journey Man
16th Nov 2009, 12:47
Although it may seem unfair to those looking for a job with low hours it is also not such a bad thing. Bush flying isn't the last resort for those with a fresh licence who can't get on a jet. It's demanding, difficult and will have you constantly working at the wrong end of your performance profile. Having no experience isn't the best background.

Good luck.

Wyle E Coyote
17th Nov 2009, 17:37
Although it may seem unfair to those looking for a job with low hours it is also not such a bad thing. Bush flying isn't the last resort for those with a fresh licence who can't get on a jet

So are you suggesting that pilots get a job on a jet first, then when they're 'good enough' they go bush for a while?:hmm:

it's not rocket science, it's a great way to learn, and it makes every one of them better pilots for it.

Lead Sparrow: Seffos use (or used to) the Cathy Pacific entrance test. Apparently they're not a bush charter company, they're an airline:} Just check their bond for a 206 these days.....

Journey Man
18th Nov 2009, 09:44
So are you suggesting

Try not to be a prat, dear chap. I'm not suggesting anything - so please don't try to make false statements, or imply anything other than what is written in my post.

Have you worked charter into difficult strips, year round? If you think flying a large twin into short and narrow tree lined strips is a good 'learning' environment then you obviously haven't.

Wyle E Coyote
18th Nov 2009, 17:02
It was a simple question, If what I infer from your post is incorrect, then please elaborate, as what ever point you are trying to make is clearly lost..... either that or you've just realised how absurd your suggestion is.

And to answer your question, yes. I have. for several years. Not only did I do it, I sat in the right seat, and trained others to do it.

However, that's not the point. 200 hour pilots don't fly twins in the bush, they start on a single and work their way up to bigger more complex types as their skill level (and company requirements) dictate. That first 1000 hours in the bush gives you a skill set that you just can't get any other way, It's a great learning environment, and is some of the best flying you'll ever do in your life.

Maybe you think the best place for a new pilot is in the right seat of a jet, stabbing the execute button when he doesn't yet have the basic handling skills to hand fly the aircraft while he undoes the mess he's just created in the box? (and before you ask, yes. I've seen that too)

Journey Man
22nd Nov 2009, 07:27
I draw your attention to the title: Zambia requires 1000 hours even for a 172 job

How many singles in Zambia? Not that many. A few Caravans, but those are crewed by guys with 1000+. Zamfari? Gone. And they used 152/172 primarily for training. Staravia? Yes, a 210. How many twins? Most of the charter fleet in Zambia. Relevance is a bitch, right?

...either that or you've just realised how absurd your suggestion is.
What suggestion? You'll see I've not edited any of my posts, not changed anything. Post up whatever 'suggestion' I've made.

Maybe you think the best place for a new pilot is in the right seat of a jet, stabbing the execute button when he doesn't yet have the basic handling skills to hand fly the aircraft while he undoes the mess he's just created in the box? (and before you ask, yes. I've seen that too)
Where do I say that? And frankly, I don't have any pedagogic experience on which to base that opinion. Seems to have worked well for years though via the company sponsorship system? Maybe the RHS of a Caravan is a good place to learn the myriad of tasks required of a charter pilot. It's not purely stick and rudder - that's one part of the operation.

I don't really understand why you insist on making so many assumptions to validate your posts. Can you explain?

Bla Bla Bla
22nd Nov 2009, 09:03
Pack it in you two numpties.

Topper Dee
22nd Nov 2009, 14:37
Of course the other option is to go to Zambia early and sit the 6 CPL exams (not too tough) and do hours as required and flight test and get the CPL issued here as if you had done the whole syllabus...

There are operators there that will be looking for pilots for next season, but whatever you do, check with the DCA first.

From what I hear, this 1000 rule isnt going to last very long. How is the industry in Zambia going to survive with no new pilots and guys leaving after doing a couple of years. You could also try pestering the AOOA there and see what they are doing to get this ridiculous rule overturned.

Oh well, look on the bright side, at least its not as bad as the situation in Kenya.

Topper Dee at 50 DME

Welshboyo
22nd Nov 2009, 15:09
Yes topper, but you have to be able to find a flight school in Zambia that is able to provide the training that you need.

ZASTI, the government run school, is not able to provide the training for CPL's, and now that Zamfari has closed down for a bit, then where do people go?

It is a real shame that Zamfari has gone, this has left a real vacuume in Zambia from what i have heard.

I cant wait to get a slagging from you about this, because i know you dont like them.