PDA

View Full Version : AWACS @ LPL 5/7/01

Capt PPRuNe
6th Jul 2001, 15:27
Being an inherent 'spotter' at heart I was passing Liverpool Airport yesterday evening and saw an AWACS (B707 derivative) circling the airport and paracticing what looked like procedural instrument approaches. I dediced to go to Dungeon Lane which passes about 200 feet from the threshold of 27 at LPL to watch as this magnificant aircraft proceeded to do touch and go's and various visual circuits of the airport.

It was extremely interesting to say the least as the circuit was being shared with a Chipmunk! One would do LH circuits and the other RH ones. There was a little scally girl there who lives on one of the houses next to the new control tower and she was waving like mad every time the AWACS came in for a touch and go so if the person who was in the RHS (he had blue eyes ;) ) saw her, she was as thrilled as the rest of the crowd that gathered to watch some poor pilot going through the motions of learning to hand fly the big jet.

The most interesting thing for me was watching how precisely they were aiming to touchdown on the piano bars. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif You can imagine how close the lumbering jet appeared from my vantage point only a hundred feet (if that) from the threshold (piano bars) as he aimed for that touchdown point! Well done to the crew for the impromptu and spectacular show and the trainee who managed to carve his or her initials in the good old LPL 27 threshold (thereby obliterating my earlier attempts from several years ago).

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

newswatcher
6th Jul 2001, 16:47
According to someone who has flown one of these, the influence of the radome housing is significant, and it seems to take ages to set-down, compared with a "normal" airframe!!

Guess the 767 AWACS would have looked even more spectacular!

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/767awacs/images/767awacs1.jpg

[This message has been edited by newswatcher (edited 06 July 2001).]

Scorpius
6th Jul 2001, 22:13
It is a real handful! No powered flying controls - hence it is very heavy. However after several thousand hours you feel accustomed to fact that it will eventually react to your inputs. For the spotters - our threshold crossing height is 50'. We aim to land in the 1st 2000'. Believe it or not but the Rotor Dome doesnot make the aircraft handle that much differently from a clean 707!

Next Waypoint
11th Jul 2001, 01:00
Scorpius,

You must be one of the few pilots left. Good luck and keep the faith!
PS: If you are who I think you are, do you still want my No.5's?? If you aren't, then disregard.

Scorpius
11th Jul 2001, 01:33
Next Waypoint

Sorry but I'm not who you think I am. As for being one of the last pilots left - I will be the one to turn off the lights!