PDA

View Full Version : Anyone confirm?

Smoketoomuch
11th Aug 2001, 16:09
Hello chaps, sorry for barging in but could someone settle an argument please.

Have a look at http://www.ffour.force9.co.uk/Oldstuff/wow/wow.htm
Anyone care to comment on the veracity of the pic of the Phantom and the accompanying story.
Much appreciated, ta.

[edited cos its 'veracity' not 'voracity'.. oops!

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: Smoketoomuch ]

c130jbloke
11th Aug 2001, 17:00
cannot say, but what a pic !!!!! :eek: :eek:

BEagle
11th Aug 2001, 17:36
No - it must be a fake. He's far too high!!

Mad Pax
11th Aug 2001, 19:28
Got a copy of this pic sent by a mate at St Athan; another mate advises that it's called 'blocking' - the use of alternatives if the runway is attacked and rendered unusable. Apparently...

Firestreak
11th Aug 2001, 22:09
I'm certainly no photo expert but It looks to me like a fake. The F4 is in sharp focus which would be unlikely with an instamatic camera at take off speeds. Also, the relative size of the a/c v the hangars looks wrong. I have a photo of 4 x F4s in a relatively similar situation and somehow the whole aspect looks wrong.

I could be totally wrong of course, indeed I hope I am as such flying nowadays would result in all sorts of nastiness.

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: Firestreak ]

Audax
12th Aug 2001, 09:55
Sorry, but I think it must be a ringer. If the aircraft was doing any speed at all, then surely the background would be very blurred if, as stated, an ordinary Instamatic Camera was used.

Snapshot
12th Aug 2001, 12:27
MUST be something dodgy with this photograph?
This Banana, (XV332, the one scrapped at Marham last week see 'Gate Guards' thread) is WAY TOO HIGH!!!! :D :D :D
http://members.tripod.co.uk/Buccaneer/XV332_pprune_web.jpg
Snaps www.BlackburnBuccaneer.co.uk (http://www.BlackburnBuccaneer.co.uk)

Dan Winterland
12th Aug 2001, 13:55
If the camera was being panned to follow the aircraft, the aircraft would be sharp and the background blurred.

Those of a certain vintage (but younger than BEagle!) will remember a similar thing being done at Cranwemll in front of a lot of very senior witnesses.

BEagle
12th Aug 2001, 16:31
72ft a.g.l apparently!

But I never saw the photo which someone took of Vulcan B2 XL319 flown by a certain 35 Sqn crew at 350KIAS and 80ft a.g.l between the 12 Sqn hangar and the ATC tower at Honington on 17 Jun 1978.....followed by a 150deg AoB wingover and quick transit back to Scampton.

Wee Jock
14th Aug 2001, 01:34
I saw 2 Belgian F104s doing exactly this at Leuchars in 1980. They were 23 Sqn 'Tigers' from Kleine Brogel and they flew line astern between 43 and 111 Sqns hangars. I thought my ears were going to be torn off with the noise. I was standing on the apron just beyond their 'exit' point, my husband was standing by the hangar doors. I can still remember the racket, and the exhaust fumes. If that photo's real, and I suspect it is, I reckon I could also guess the pilot's name. He was on 43 Sqn (as I was) when the F104s did their stuff. Happy days. :cool: :cool: :cool: