PDA

View Full Version : Beacon, Nav & Landing Lights

Ryan5252
4th Nov 2009, 19:52
Just wondering what the correct or general consensus is for the operation of aircraft lights. I fly a C152 and before engine is started to engine shut down the beacon is always on. Fair enough as I know the beacon to indicate the engine is live or about to become live. However, when conditions are 'average' - 'good' we only use the beacon. If the weather is less favorable i.e. cloudy, raining or visibility otherwise reduced we will turn on the Landing light for landing operations. I have only 11 hours logged to date but today was the first time we actually used the Nav lights as conditions were terrible. I am wondering why the instructor 'appears' to opt not to use any other lights other than the beacon? Personally, when I get my flying myself I will not consider flying without the Nav lights as to me it just could be the saving grace - the difference in between spotted in time or too late.
The only conclusion I have reached myself is it may be a cost saving attempt i.e. bulbs less likely to burn out if they are not used - but that sounds too trivial to my underdeveloped 'Student Brain'.

Your thoughts?

bingofuel
4th Nov 2009, 20:12
I suspect your question will generate a large number of opinions and different procedures, but I will start with my tuppence worth.

Beacon - As you say, on before start and off after engine stopped, for the reasons you gave.

Nav lights - During the day I doubt if they have any real benefit to assist in making the aircraft conspicuous. However you will find that larger aircraft display nav lights generally all the time and especially on the ground when the apu is running.

Strobes - turn on when lining up and turn off when vacated the runway, and turn on if crossing an active runway. If your aircraft has no red beacon consider using the strobes as a means of warning people the engine is about to start (as well as the good old CLEAR PROP)

Landing/taxi lights - Yes bulbs are expensive, which is why a lot of people seem not to use them, they also blow on a regular basis. I would suggest 'on' for lining up and take off, and also turn 'on' when approaching, and when in the circuit. Some people fly all the time with the landing light on and I certaily would not say it was wrong to do so.

The bottom line is, lights help make your aircraft visible, which should assist in stopping other people colliding with it.Providing they are looking outside of the aircraft.

Look forward to other peoples views.

12Watt Tim
4th Nov 2009, 20:16
The main reason for using the landing light for take off and landing is to avoid birdstrikes. Therefore they should be used every time. Birds are far more likely to avoid a light than an unlit object, and are far more likely to be encountered at very low level - on departure and approach.

1800ed
4th Nov 2009, 20:30
The aircraft I fly only have an anti-collision light switch which turns the nav lights and strobes on at the same time.

I turn the anti collision lights on before engine start. If it's daytime they can stay turned on during taxi, if it's night then I turn them off.

Landing light is turned off for taxi at daytime and obviously turned on at night.

During engine run-up at night I turn the external lights off to avoid causing confusion to approaching aircraft.

Anti-collision lights and landing light go on when doing ATPL checks on line up.

Landing light can be turned off at about 500ft or whenever you choose to do your after take-off check. I tend to turn it back on when doing airfield approach checks, or on my down wind checks before landing.

Seems to work for me, I'm sure other people will have different sequences.

jollyrog
4th Nov 2009, 20:31
Why don't we have LED landing lights? These filament ones seem an awful waste.

Someone with an engineering expertise care to comment?

I fly a PA28 shareoplane. My beacon/strobes are on the same switch, so it's all or nothing.

1800ed
4th Nov 2009, 20:34
Probably because LED's are too modern and scary for GA.

mad_jock
4th Nov 2009, 20:36
I can understand the landing lights but NAV lights?

They don't blow after 10 hours use and cost 3 quid a pop to replace.

172driver
4th Nov 2009, 20:40
Beacon - on before engine start to after engine stop.

Taxi light - on for, errr, taxi

Landing light - on when entering rwy for t/o

Strobes - on when entering rwy for t/o

After t/o:

Strobes - off (but see below, may leave on if loads of traffic)

Landing light - depending on traffic situation, off or on until clear of vicinity of airfield (basically - the more traffic, the longer it stays on)

Landing:

Landing light on when approaching/entering airfield vicinity (see above)

Strobes on when entering pattern (circuit)

Landing light and strobes off once clear of rwy, taxi light on.

En route: everything on if potential conflict and conspicuity of the essence

Others will have different routines.....

PS: in some very busy terminal areas (e.g. L.A.) it is encouraged to leave landing light on at all times.

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Nov 2009, 20:47
Beacon - on from before startup to after shutdown

Taxi light - on whilst on the ground

Landing light - on whilst in the air

Strobes - on from entering to leaving runway

Nav lights - on at night

Every few yeras an unfamiliar instructor tells me to turn the landing light off after take-off, so I do, as it's less trouble than arguing; and then I revert to normal behaviour on the next flight (most instructors give me no such instruction, and I leave it on when I'm on my own).

Spitoon
4th Nov 2009, 21:08
Then there is the minor point of what the rules say. The words below are from the Rules of the Air Regulations...47.—(1) During the night an aircraft shall—
(a) display such of the lights specified in this Section as it is required by this Section; and
(b) subject to rule 49(6), not display any other lights which might obscure or otherwise impair the visibility of, or be mistaken for, such lights.
(2) Subject to rule 48(4) an aircraft fitted with an anti-collision light shall display that light in flight during the day.
(3) A flying machine on a United Kingdom aerodrome shall—
(a) during the night display either the lights which it would be required to display when flying or the lights specified in rule 49(5)(c) unless it is stationary on the apron or on that part of the aerodrome provided for the maintenance of aircraft; and
(b) during the day and night and subject to paragraph (4), display a red anti-collision light, if it is fitted with one, when it is stationary on the apron with engines running.

After t/o:

Strobes - off (but see below, may leave on if loads of traffic)Very odd view to take. I suppose it's up to you - but I hope I'm not flying in the same bit of air and don't spot you!

I'm with Gertrude on the strobes - unless in cloud or other conditions where they may be disorientating. In simple terms, if you've got them, use them!

gg190
4th Nov 2009, 21:13
I remember my PPL examiner telling me to use every light you have if you are close if close to somewhere or something that needs to be able to see you.

I.e. if ATC warn another aircraft about your presence and they can't see you and you can't them, stick all your lights on, make yourself as conspicuous as possible. Same goes if you are flying close to a gliding site.

Speedbird48
5th Nov 2009, 00:37
LED landing and nav lights($286.95 each) are available here in the colonies. Also an LED tail beacon is available from Whelan at around $675.00.

They are direct replacements for the original but rather pricey. The landing light being about $600US I believe??

Very good very bright, but not very cheap!!

As for the tail beacon, leave the thing on all the time and don't turn the switch off. Then, when you forget the master switch (of course you would never forget that, would you??) you will walk away from the airplane wondering why that light is flashing in the hanger!!

Or, how to stop people leaving the master on and finding a dead battery next morning.

Speedbird48

Nashers
5th Nov 2009, 07:08
main thing with NAV lights is that on some aircrafts, if you put them on, the aircraft is programed to dim other cockpit lights as it thinks its flying at night. during the day this on a retractable gear aircraft, the 3 greens may look like they are off even when the gear lever is down and there is no problems. this is because the dimmer the light, the less problems you will have focusing on the darkness outside the window.

when flying, standard SOPs for me when i learnt was strobs on before engine start, off after start then back on when taking off and off after landing. the only time the strobs would go off in the air is if i am in cloud and they are disorientating me.

at night, you may wish to flash the landing/ taxi light 5 times just before engine start to warn anyone you have not seen.

Piper.Classique
5th Nov 2009, 07:17
Hmmm
I use my nav lights if it's a bit murky. They are the only lights I have on the a/c. The rest of the time, I reckon a bright yellow aircraft flying at seventy knots is at least moderately visible, and I probably can't sneak up on you from behind. Please remeber we can't all light up like a Christmas tree, and keep heads on a swivel :ok:

usedtofly
5th Nov 2009, 09:36
Hi Ryan,

Your question is valid and well answered by 'Gertrude'. The use of many of these lights is optional but in reality consider the effect. Can you really see nav lights on a bright day?

Cost is certainly not an issue, you are paying for the aeroplane, do what you like!

Me? I turn on what ever will get me noticed at the appropriate time. My company SOP's call for minimum lights at certain times however I will add whatever I feel fit and useful depending on the occasion.

Be seen! (but that's only if you have bright lights!)

UTF :}

MyNameIsIs
5th Nov 2009, 10:48
Found good Quartz landing lights from GE for PA28s (12v). About double the price but last 2,3, 4 or more times as long.

I've got a good LED toch that is probably better than most landing lights anyways so I'm not particularly worried about busting landing lights :}
I've got two on the planes i predominantly fly anyway, and I dont have to pay for them either :ok:

malc4d
5th Nov 2009, 15:21
We leave the beacon switch in the 'on 'position, A quick glance back at the aircraft as you walk away will let you know if you left the battery 'on'..........:)

IO540
5th Nov 2009, 16:32
During the day I fly without the nav lights, since they cannot be seen during daytime anyway.

At low levels (below 2000ft) I have the taxi and landing lights on. But I never fly that low except when arriving or departing - too many other planes around.

On the ground, during the day, only the taxi light needs to be on. The strobes are debatable. They are pretty bright to view close-up which is why not using them on the ground is smart.

Today, all lights could be made of LEDs but since the vast majority of GA planes flying today are no longer made, the modification will never appear on the manufacturer's Type Certificate. So the only way to install them would be under an approved modification, and the cost of that will be more than the cost of a lifetime's supply of bulbs.

Ryan5252
5th Nov 2009, 17:07
Thank you all for your informed replies. :ok:

Molesworth 1
6th Nov 2009, 13:40
I usually forget to turn off the landing lights out of the circuit but it seems from what others are saying it's a good idea to leave them on.

Which is exactly what I am going to do from now on! :D