PDA

View Full Version : Brawdy TWU Officer - renewed request

fradu
7th Feb 2002, 22:17
Hello

Last month I asked for assistance in the "Aviation history and Nostalgia" forum with a query about the RAF Brawdy TWU Commander of Hunter Squadrons in 1975. The Officer in question put a personal pennant on 'his' Hunter aircraft, 234 Sqn-liveried F.6A XF516, coded 19.

New information has come to light and the pennant may have been applied at any time between 1975-79, as XF516 left the TWU in 1980.

Can any list members suggest names for the OC Flying/Chief Instructor of the TWU during this time?

Thanks for your time

Best wishes

Mark Russell

BEagle
7th Feb 2002, 22:23
Are you sure it's a Wing Commander's pennant? Or perhaps a Squadron Leader's?

fradu
7th Feb 2002, 22:50
BEagle

We suspect it is most likely a Wing Commanders pennant, it is triangular in shape and is twin coloured.

I am taking steps to see if I can confirm the type.

OldBonaMate
7th Feb 2002, 22:51
I might be able to help - send me an e-mail.

fradu
1st Mar 2002, 03:21
Hello

Just an update on this, it proves that I was mistaken again - the pennant applied belonged to a Squadron Leader and not a Wing Commander.. .Apologies.

Mark

Triton
1st Mar 2002, 13:20
As a member of the first "revitalised" Hunter trained blokes I reckon the name you're looking for is Dave Webley. He was the boss of 234 in the period. Only a few Hunters were 234 liveried, most bore 79 Sqn markings. Only three courses of five TWU students went through the 234 Sqn Hunter process in the early eighties... the reason it was reintroduced was because the Hawk was too mild an aircraft and the F4, 'Ning and Bucc OCUs complained that Hawk trained guys (no girls) weren't able to cope with wings swept more than 23 degrees. The reason only three courses got to fly the thing was because we broke 'em all. Sorry!. .Anyway, sorry to bore everyone, but it was Webley who signed my logbook in '81 and he'd been the boss of 234 for a while. The other Sqn Ldr who flew Hunters in an instructional role was Ray Passfield, a true gentleman and an excellent pilot. Great memories, thanks...

[ 01 March 2002: Message edited by: Triton ]</p>

BEagle
1st Mar 2002, 13:28
If it was a 234 Sqn ac, then it's highly probable that it could have been Sqn Ldr Eastwood, OC234 in 1976?

Perky Penguin
1st Mar 2002, 21:47
Not sure of the time scale or where he fitted into the scheme of things at the time - could it have been Sqn Ldr Chris Golds, now an aviation artist!

fradu
14th Mar 2002, 02:56
Hello. .. .It seems that S/Ldr Stuart Eastwood is the man that fits the bill for the pennant. . .. .Thanks for all your help on this topic, all that needs to be done is to find out where he lives, can anyone help?. .. .Mark