PDA

View Full Version : More disrespectful Muppets.

green granite
4th Nov 2009, 16:59
War veterans have expressed their fury at a toiletries store in Wigan which has banned its members of staff from wearing poppies. Bodycare in The Galleries threatened one member of staff with disciplinary proceedings if she did not remove the emblem from her uniform.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Store bans staff wearing poppies (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8342958.stm)

Cows getting bigger
4th Nov 2009, 17:03
Can't find an e-mail address for them; pity. :mad:

TheOptimist
4th Nov 2009, 17:05
Not disrespectful at all.

If they want to wear poppies then they can do so out of working hours. Their uniform is a uniform. They don't allow any stickers or badges which show allegiance to any charity, so to suggest this is disrespectful is complete idiocy. I don't wear a poppy at work because of hygiene issues. Are you going to accuse me of being disrespectful?

Cows getting bigger
4th Nov 2009, 17:10
Oh dear, you really don't get it Opto.

TheOptimist
4th Nov 2009, 17:13
And what is there to 'get,' pray tell?

Rigger1
4th Nov 2009, 17:20
Sorry, with 'Cows' on this one, if you need it explaining you really haven't got a clue :oh:

Cows getting bigger
4th Nov 2009, 17:21
Let me quote you from a previous thread

Personally I don't see why so many people make a fuss if a politician/celebrity/newsreader etc doesn't wear a poppy.

It doesn't indicate respect, it doesn't indicate remembrance, it just indicates that the person has chucked some loose change into a collection box and pinned it to their jacket.

Personally, I remember our fallen by visiting museums, reading books, making donations etc. After that I get chastised by someone who doesn't even know what the poppy actually symbolises, but because they've paid their annual 10p to have a paper poppy on their top they're automatically superior. I wear one if I have time/come across a vendor when I'm walking down the road, but it hardly shows I'm indifferent and ignorant if I don't wear one.

Obviously this doesn't apply to those who actually wear the poppies with a recognition of our soldiers plight and the rationale behind the day.

TheOptimist
4th Nov 2009, 17:23
Have I missed something? As far as I can tell my older post, which I still stand by, doesn't have much to do with this latest article.

Please don't be so cryptic, if you think I'm wrong then just explain why.

Charlie Time
4th Nov 2009, 17:24
I would have said go ahead with the disciplinary measures and see how far it gets.

Cows getting bigger
4th Nov 2009, 17:28
I can't be bothered. Go figure.

Dengue_Dude
4th Nov 2009, 17:33
Personally Optimist, with what is going on both within this country and without it, if it needs explaining, then you are an ignorant tw@t.

That's as much effort as I'm prepared to spend on you. Try looking at the Wootton Bassett threads and perhaps the penny might drop.

ComJam
4th Nov 2009, 17:41
The Optimist:

Was it disrespectful of young Mr Laing to p*ss all over that war memorial then?

If a person wants to show their respect by wearing a poppy they should be allowed to...whether it forms part of an unofficial uniform or not!

Honestly, the youth of today.....:ugh:

TheOptimist
4th Nov 2009, 17:45
Of course you're right. There's absolutely no difference between defacing and desecrating a war memorial and not wearing a poppy to work.

The youth of today? What exactly has this got to do with my age?

Ad hominem. Try harder.

Lightning Mate
4th Nov 2009, 17:46
"Honestly, the youth of today....."

Don't you mean thu yoof uv toodaay?

vecvechookattack
4th Nov 2009, 17:50
Is this similar to Servicemen and women being banned from wearing H4H's wristbands..?

Its a symbol of respect....It raises money for military charities....

cazatou
4th Nov 2009, 17:59
TheOptimist

It is absolutely nothing to do with "Allegiance to a Charity".

It is a mark of respect for all those who have sacrificed their lives - or suffered grave personal injuries whether physical or mental - so that people like you are free to enjoy their lives and even, as you do, offer gratuitous insults to those who defend them.

SirToppamHat
4th Nov 2009, 17:59
Is this similar to Servicemen and women being banned from wearing H4H's wristbands..?

Err we're not ... even in normal working dress. Or is that the point you're making?

STH

TheOptimist
4th Nov 2009, 18:08
Can't you wear your mark of respect outside work?

Why are bodycare being disrespectful exactly? How is not allowing charity emblems on their uniforms disrespectful. Does this mean they are being disrespectful to the other 10,000 charities in the UK?

It's their work, their uniform, their rules. To suggest that enforcing the uniform policy constitutes as disrespect to our soldiers is ridiculous.

Complete non-story. Just the tabloids and a bunch of angsty members of the public (who put 7p in a tin, get a poppy and go into 'respect mode' for 10 days a year) making a big deal out of nothing.

vecvechookattack
4th Nov 2009, 18:09
The boys and Girls at Yeovilton were banned from wearing H4H's wrist bands.....

Jumping_Jack
4th Nov 2009, 18:40
RAF Uniform committee specifically allowed H4H wristbands.....I think it was for a set period so not sure if it was extended.

Dengue_Dude
4th Nov 2009, 19:12
Judging by your responses, it has rather a lot to do with your age - and apparent attitude.

It doesn't always hold true, but a few turns around the block seems to engender a certain amount of respect for others as well as yourself.

I'm not saying you don't have any, because I don't know you, but if you have, it doesn't show.

Geehovah
4th Nov 2009, 19:23
TheOptimist;

You Sir would clearly never lay down your life for your Country

Need we say more

TheOptimist
4th Nov 2009, 19:23
It has nothing to do with my age and attitude.

It has far mroe to do with the fact none of you have actually given me a valid response beyond 'oh you're just young, you couldn't possibly know.' Respect for others? You mean like calling the shop owners 'muppets' for enforcing their uniform policy?

I think you should read my previous post, pasted on page 1 of this thread and quoted by someone.

@ Geehovah - You don't know me at all, and are completely ignorant given the fact that I'm currently going through my military applications. Another ad-hominem. Go and play with your toys little child.

Charlie Time
4th Nov 2009, 19:29
Well said Dengue Dude.

I suggest we move on and leave those who don't appreciate the sacrifice made by others to be.

TheOptimist
4th Nov 2009, 19:32
Charlie Time, can you read? Or have you conveniently ignored my other posts in this thread?

If you could point out exactly where I've shown any disrespect whatsoever then I'd be grateful.

Perhaps some of you could focus on the topic at hand rather than;

- Insulting my respect of our armed forces (for which there is absolutely no basis - in fact in this thread alone there is evidence to the contrary).
- Devaluing my opinions based on the fact that I'm young.
- Making ridiculous assumptions regarding my willingess to joing the forces.

Capetonian
4th Nov 2009, 19:38
I don't wear a poppy at work because of hygiene issues.

What has 'issues' got to do with it? You are just mindlessly repeating the pathetic mantra of the 'elf 'n safety' muppets, or perhaps you have a coherent explanation in your own words as to why wearing a paper poppy is an 'issue'.

Fat Chris
4th Nov 2009, 19:42
Having read through Optimist's post history, he/she seems to be an opinionated sh1t stirrer, who deserves no more than junior troll status.

Please do not feed.

TheOptimist
4th Nov 2009, 19:42
Capetonian - Sterile prep for theatre doesn't leave much time for poppies.

Fat Chris - Please quote all my 'stirring' and 'trolling' please. Would love for you to find a valid example of either.

glad rag
4th Nov 2009, 20:07
and are completely ignorant given the fact that I'm currently going through my military applications.I hope you fail.

Shh, listen, did you hear the little mouse click?

Justanopinion
4th Nov 2009, 20:11
Fat Chris - i agree with you -i too was bored for a few minutes and trawled through this little boy's posts - lets just hope he does not get into the military and goes back to his Walter Mitty dreams and aspirations...

Anyway - the owners of the bodycare shop have had their own issues in the past as per the link below

The Court Service - Chancery Division - Judgments (http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/judgmentsfiles/j213/arrow_n.htm)

Wholigan
4th Nov 2009, 20:35
OK - this has now just got into the 'stupid' category. Bye!