PDA

View Full Version : Boscombe Down Hunter retirement?

PhotMan
10th Aug 2001, 01:46
Just heard through the grapevine that Boscombe (QuinetiQ - bloody silly name) are retiring the last British military Hunter T.7 XL614 tomorrow - I knew it was imminent, but can anyone confirm?

Any possible final fling flypasts?

Cornish Jack
10th Aug 2001, 11:08
If they are getting rid of the Hunter, how are they going to demo inverted spins for the ETPS 'studes' - or is that not done anymore?

Max Brakin
10th Aug 2001, 13:54
The end of an era as another fine piece of aviation slips away and almost creepy timing after the 50th anniversary weekend at Kemble just a fortnight ago.

Of course QinetiQ (or DERA as it was then) has bought Alpha jets which apparently have some very interesting spin characteristics but if all you wanted was inverted spinning then the Tucano(arrgghhh!!!) does it all the time. Mind you I don't think people will be looking back at the Tuc with such fond memories.

Will the mighty Hunter be put up for sale I wonder???

Gainesy
10th Aug 2001, 13:58
Maybe Gericault could comment on the Alpha spinning?

lightningmate
10th Aug 2001, 17:03
On a point of clarification, the correct title for the A&AEE real estate these days is 'MOD Boscombe Down'. Quinetiqueue just live(?) there.

lm

rollerbob
11th Aug 2001, 03:32
XL612 touched down for the last time at 16:40L on the 10 August 2001.
Fate unknown at the moment, but the engine's got to go back to it's owner. Expect £9K - £15K for the rest of it.
A sad day.

Jackonicko
11th Aug 2001, 04:13
Wasn't the whole point deliberate swept-wing inverted spinning?

Jay Foe
11th Aug 2001, 18:14
I heard a couple of weeks ago that the frame was being sold to Delta Jets at Kemble and then leased back to Quin-whatever-it-is whenever they needed a proper British Jet. Something to do with it being cheaper that way with all of the maintenance costs and everything.

Chairborne 09.00hrs
12th Aug 2001, 18:55
Yes, Jacko. Apparently, inadvertent swept-wing inverted spinning in a Hawk is quite an experience. '343 never flew straight after its little adventure in that regime!

Jay: after all, they hire back their old Twin Pin every now and again.

Chris Kebab
12th Aug 2001, 22:48
Interesting point about the chartering of a Hunter from a civvy company, assuming the above is correct.

Is there any precedence for service pilots officially flying in vintage jets serviced (including bang-seats) by such a company? This is not a dig by the way at Delta Jets by the way, just a question on the engineers licencing and insurance I guess.

Hunters leaving Boscombe is a bit like the Ravens leaving the Tower if you ask me. Writing must be on the wall for the Harvard. And as for Snoopy - the most esoteric CT hack known to man, what is all that about?

BEagle
12th Aug 2001, 23:21
Intrigued to learn how Kwinty Kwoo (a civilian company) could conceivably hire an aircraft operated under a Permit to Fly for Aerial Work purposes! I hope that Delta Jets, to use a Pythonism, "take 'em to the f*cking cleaners!"

Presumably Kwinty Kwoo will have an Air Operator's Certificate? Or does the shambles which calls itself the Ministry of Defence consider itself immune from normal industry requirements?

Cynical view? It'll all fall into the TFD category and swept wing spinning (whether erect or inverted) will no longer be affordable. Along with most other things in Tony B Liar's emasculated new world.

Descend to What Height?!?
13th Aug 2001, 20:58
Chris Kebab,
Snoopy
Allegedly the only servicable K model Boscombe can get their hands on. They need a K for certain trials, and the RAF have turned round and told them to bog off we havn't got any spare ones, or pay huge sums of money.
So not only was Snoopy at FL370 last week, but they are trying to refit a lot of standard Herc bits back on her so she can be used for trials.
Oh and the nose and radome. Cant afford to take them off and do a propper nose job! Or is it they are hoping our venture with private industry goes pear shaped, and we come running back to our old and trusted mount???? :rolleyes:

Still nice to see the best looking aircraft back in the sky, and not facing the same fate of a JCB through the mainspar as a lot of Boscombes aircraft they can no longer afford to use. :mad:

Descend to What Height?!?
13th Aug 2001, 21:07
Chris Kebab
Ref. Snoopy
I understand that Snoopy was the only K model Boscombe can get their hands on. The RAF have none spare, and wanted to charge a huge rate for them (nice to see the boot on the other foot for a change!)

They need a K for certain outstanding trials, and to fly the trials you need a crew, who need to stay current on type etc etc etc.They are refitting a lot of standard bits back on the airframe, but, can't afford to do a nose job, and take the boom off and put the radar back where it belongs. Or is it they are hoping our fling with private business goes pear shaped and we come rushing back to our old trusted mount? :rolleyes:

Any way, I think it is wonderful that she is back in the air, and not facing the JCB as so many of Boscombe's other aircraft have done! :mad: :mad: