PDA

View Full Version : Mali Air Express?!

belliott
4th Nov 2009, 02:44
I was contacted today by the Chief Pilot with regards to my resume.

Beyond barely being able to hear and understand the guy all I got out of the phone call was that they would be sending me an email with the specifics of the contract.

Does anyone have any experience with these guys?

nerof53
4th Nov 2009, 09:43
well in about 2 years the lost over five pilots .Nevertheless it is difficult to find a job in aviation they prefered to stay far away from that out fit.Must be a reason for it.
That guy that you have been talking over the phone must be the Mex guy that in more than two years that he is living in Mali still does not speak a word of french and neither of english . How he comunicate with the pilots , management and authority of civil aviation is a mistery, but it is a good guy.
Regarding the boss that is en entire different story.Lebanes origin he likes to be in charge of everythink from the pilots up to the meccanics.He does not respect the contracts at all, so be aware of it
Airplane have a lot of problems and does not look like that are fixed.If they are searching for pilots ,in high season for them,the situation must be very bad.
I would suggest to ask for salary up to 3 months in advance and also an open return ticket that you can you use anytime.
The enviroment amongs pilots is terrible do not hope for any kind of support or help at all.
Overall I raccomand you not to go, but then it is your choice

Cave Troll
4th Nov 2009, 09:55
Sounds like Allegiance Air Contracts!

ct

OldSF3Dude
4th Nov 2009, 18:48
I looked into flying for MAE this past summer as a Saab captain. One guy I found who used to fly there had mixed things to say about it. The schedule wasn't bad, but maintenance didn't sound good and they still owed him money. He had sour feelings about the company. Never-the-less I was still seriously considering it, at least to try it out. They sort of strung me along and I sort of let them, however, since I was waiting to hear about another job. The other job didn't come through, but I never heard from MAE again and assumed they hired someone else.

Then a couple weeks ago I too received a message that they were again interested in me. A couple of days ago I signed the contracts to be a Saab-340 captain/TRI,TRE. Now I'm just waiting for them to send the ticket to go over there.

There is a new chief pilot then the one I dealt with this past summer. The new guy, Ivan, has been much better about staying in contact with me and letting me know what's going on. Last I heard the owner of the company was on a business trip to China. He's the guy who sends the contracts and the ticket to get to Mali.

They do sound like they need pilots right away. I was told they are looking for 2 Saab first officers. FOs make $3000 per month tax free and get free housing.

The contracts are in French. There is a local contract and a contract with the company that owns the Saabs. Most of your pay comes from the Saab contract. You get some pay in African francs for the local contract. Some of the local pay you spend towards insurance (about $200 per month) and perhaps electricity if you go over the amount they budget for you in the company housing.

I don't know what else to tell you. It's a small company and it's hard to find out a lot about it. I'll be over there as soon as they send me a ticket, though. I have about 3500 hours in the Saab (6 years at Mesaba), so I'm legit. I encourage good pilots to come fly with me!

nerof53
5th Nov 2009, 11:38
I encourage good pilots to come fly with me
So you are saying that all the pilots that left Mali Air express are bad pilots??
I have about 3500 hours in the Saab (6 years at Mesaba), so I'm legit
So you are saying that pilots with less of 3500 hours on Saab 340 , not with Mesaba experience, are not legit.??
Very good start.
Good luck

Bla Bla Bla
5th Nov 2009, 12:33
Nero53,

No he is not saying that you plonker, you must be one of the regular bring the post down to its lowest form type chaps that hangs around pprune trying to turn every post into a petty argument, go and get lost.

David_Lid Air
5th Nov 2009, 13:28
Hello OldSF3Dude.

Maybe we will meet there then. I am considering to go and give it a try:).

Does anyone know how the roster looks like at AME?

Greetings from Sweden

/David

nerof53
5th Nov 2009, 15:19
I forgot to say that also the ex chief pilot and director operation , Lebanes also, after he had a stroke this summer ,he could not flying any longer, well his last paycheck was very small.The owner of the MAE refuse to pay to the ex chief pilot all his paychek, after more than 2 years and after ,the ex ,he dedicate all himself to the company, and now he need to be cured he may need another brain surgery , and he does not have the money .
He had an Egiptyan pilot , married so with a family to support,neverthe less the contract says that every sixmonths the company should pay for his return ticket, well the owner change idea and so he did not pay for his return tickecy.Naturally he quit the job
He had an Lebanes F/O.He promised to pay him back for part of the simulator training.He change idea and he refused to pay him back his money.
An I can keep going with many other story for a while .
Those are facts
Now for those pilots that are looking to go and join MAE, question yourself
what more do you have of all those guys that have been working for MAE that owner should respect you more?
More hours ? 3500 on Saab?Tri TRE? Let me tell you some
those guys I have been telling you the story of are:
Ex Captain of B707/ TRI on the saab 340/ Pilots on the B727 and B737/Pilots instructors of Mig 21.
Are you better than them?
Great go foward than

POSITIVE NOTE.
for all those European guys that are looking for job in Europe.
Several good companies are looking for pilots of SAAB 340.
In Scotland, Germany,Romania and even in Georgia ex C.I.S
I can not specificaly say the name of the company in this forum but you can search on the web . Just today there was the last ad for Saab 340 pilots in Scotland.
for all those African guys
try to search in Gabon theyu were looking for Saab 340 pilots
in South Africa you may give a try
Even in Mali ther is another outfit that use Saab 340 and the contract are much better at leas 1000 $ more of what MAE pays plus free housing with swiming pool , and free elettricity plus the chief pilot over there is a good american guy..

OldSF3Dude
6th Nov 2009, 02:06
Well, first off nerof53, I wasn't trying to brag or think I'm someone special. You're reading stuff into my post that I never intended. I mentioned my experience only to provide a piece of the puzzle to the guy who was looking for information. I meant that although there were many unknowns, at least he would know he would be flying with a guy with experience. For what that's worth.

But, I've decided not to go to Mali Air Express. Frankly I've not heard a lot of good about it. (If anybody out there had a good experience there please speak up!) Like I said previously, I signed the contracts a week ago. After reading this thread I was having second thoughts, but I figured I signed on so I would see it through. But, ever since I sent the contracts (by fax and e-mails) the owner has been jerking me around. Over the course of this week he said he didn't receive them, then that he received them but they weren't signed, then that only one was signed and then that he had indeed received them, and they were indeed signed, but that the signature wasn't dark enough. I know for a fact all were signed from the beginning. Also the chief pilot said he received correct/signed contracts when I sent them to him. Even after this, however, the owner still insisted that I keep re-sending the contracts. Obviously he was stalling.

Somewhere in this thread someone said the owner of MAE was a micro-manager. I can totally sense this. I would even say he's an obstructionist. It seems like he is on a totally different page than his own chief pilot. Several times I expected a ticket to Mali, or a date to leave, only to get a message the next day saying I had to call the owner first, etc., etc. Today the chief pilot said I could expect an schedule to leave in the morning. Then a couple hours later I got a message from the owner saying that I had to re-fax contracts and call him for a ticket. It's all very frustrating! U.S. airlines have plenty wrong with them, but I've never experienced this sort of thing before.

userdfdf
6th Nov 2009, 11:13
I would say to avoid at all costs. Seeing them operate first hand and socializing with their pilots, I've learned some pretty disgusting facts about their operation. The airplanes are Guinea-registered (3X-), thereby allowing them probably the lowest operating or maintenance standards of anywhere in the world.

Two pilots I knew came out after signing contracts, and only received half their pay because the schedule wasn't as busy. The owner is a Lebanese devil who is even hated by other Lebanese businessmen in Mali/worldwide. He is desperately searching for pilots because 4 of his just took other jobs at other companies and he is fighting that tooth and nail with African lawyers, mainly as a scare tactic. He's done this before to pilots who have ditched him, but never followed through with his threats.

If at all possible, avoid at all costs. It would be your best move.

thats entertainment!
7th Nov 2009, 08:03
Lets hope that those looking for Saab 340 work find it elsewhere. I know nothing about this operation in fairness, but there are too many of those sorts (as described) of operations in africa... the less support they get from the pilot community the better. Its true they create work but there needs to be a minimum standard, and in africa sadly the regulators do not provide this... you need some ethics from the top.

Anyway based on the FO pay it doesnt sound like the money is good, certainly not worth getting cocked around for.

David_Lid Air
7th Nov 2009, 08:30
Even though I want to get up in the air badly, I have decided to stay away from this company.

OldSF3Dude
7th Nov 2009, 18:03
Below is my experience. When I sent this to the owner he had a logical explanation for all my troubles. Health problems with chief pilots, intrigues, etc. He also provided references for aircraft maintenance, etc.

So, take it for what you will. Two sides to every story I guess. I'm not going though.

2 June- I applied for the job.

3 June- I received what seemed like an offer.

4 June- I said I would take the job.

11 June- Said I would take the job.

13 June- I was asked for copies of my license and medical.

13 June- I sent my license and medical.

16 June- I sent more documents.

22 June- I tried to call again to see what was going on.

25 June- Had my uncle try to write in French to see what was going on.

28 June- Was asked to come to Mali.

28 June- I again said I would come to Mali.

28 June- Was finally having good results getting through on the phone as well.

29 June- Planned on leaving for Mali in a couple days.

30 June- Tried to e-mail and call to see when I would be leaving. Took care of getting shots and a visa on my own.

6 July- Called and sent more e-mails trying to see what was going on.

6 July- Was told that you would be sending me a contract.

19 July- I still had received nothing. Wrote again twice to tell you that.

10 Aug- I was asked to call. I called and was asked to come again. I explained that I had heard nothing in 5 weeks. I had another interview in the mean time and now had to wait 2 more weeks to find out about that job. Said I could probably come in 2 weeks, however.

15 Sep- I asked if anything was new. I never received a reply.

25 Oct- I was asked if I was still interested. I said I was. I was sent terms again and I sent my documents again.

26 Oct- I was asked when I could come to Mali (for about the 10th time!!!). I said I could come after Nov. 1st and/or with 3 days notice.

28 Oct- I was sent terms again and I accepted the terms again.

30 Oct- I was sent additional terms.

30 Oct- WAS FINALLY SENT ACTUAL CONTRACTS AFTER NEARLY 5 MONTHS!!!

31 Oct- I had the contracts translated.

2 Nov- I sent signed contracts via e-mail and fax.

3 Nov- I e-mailed to see what was going on. I was told that Achcar had to make the final decisions.

4 Nov- I canceled another job interview because I thought I was going to Mali.

5 Nov- I was told to re-send everything.

5 Nov- I re-sent everything. I was told that everything was received ok and was asked to leave on Sunday.

Later on 5 Nov- I was asked to re-fax everything again.

6 Nov- I withdrew my application.

pfm08
8th Nov 2009, 07:30
i worked for mae.

unless things have changed (and comments on this post seem to indicate they have not) i would recommend staying away at all costs.

belliott
8th Nov 2009, 13:00
I too have withdrawn my application as I don't have the time to deal with people/a company that cannot communicate or follow through on simple things. Just not worth the extra gray hair... especially if its not in the left seat.

Gaius Westman
8th Nov 2009, 15:00
I think Riccardo worked there also. In his own way, I'm sure he agrees with you guys.

GW

el_capitano
27th Jan 2010, 04:59
Was offered a job with this mob, but after reading the comments sounds like a company to stay well clear from.
On another note what is it like living in Mali as a Westerner?? I have read a lot of negative things about Mail and would like to know from an expat currently living in Mali what it is like.

NG Driver
27th Jan 2010, 05:14
Mali is a great place if one is happy with their employment situation. If youve never lived in Africa there's not much to compare it to. Yes, it's way too hot 4-5 months of the year, but there are 3-4 months where it rains each day, and another 3 months that are downright comfy and temperate. Malians are peaceful and gentle types, really niceI'd say - unlike say Guineans or Nigerians (sorry if you're sitting in Abuja reading this). I see those Mali Air Express guys across the ramp and I really don't know much about them. However, I have heard stories and first-hand reports from their crews here confirming much of what has been said previously in this forum.

el_capitano
27th Jan 2010, 12:27
What other operators in Africa operate the Saab340?

DrCaptPhD
2nd May 2010, 14:44
Mali Air Express has come a long ways in a short period of time. I have been working with them for 2 months now and have never had any issues with anything. The owner is a typical business man, however never has he shorted or withheld pay from myself or any of the other crewmembers. The new chief pilot is one of the greatest guys that you could ever have the privilige of working with. at work he is just another captain, and at home, he is your best friend and a great mentor. Anytime we had an issue at work be it maintenance, weather, or personal health issues, we are actually encouraged not to fly. Overall Mali Air Express is a small company, that like any new business needed some time to iron out the wrinkles, but seems like they have really pulled themselves together in the past year from what I understand about their past.

The Maestro
5th May 2010, 08:43
Yeah, James. Right on. It's encouraging to hear good news about a company that many people have maligned, justly or unjustly. Keep us informed.

belliott
9th May 2010, 03:10
DrCaptPhd...

Where did you work before MAE? How did they go about contacting you? I mean from what you are saying MAE doesn't at all sound like the same company that I spent a considerable amount of time trying to contact and deal with.... I saw that they recently posted for more pilots but didn't have the stomach to attempt to try them again if I was going to get the run-around again.
Thanks for your input btw.

DrCaptPhD
28th May 2010, 00:59
Belliot- I was working for a regional carrier in the northeast USA flying saabs before MAE. I dont know much about MAE from before I came here, but from what it sounds like, they weren't really running the company the way it should have been run. I can only speak from my own experience, and so far it has been a pretty good one. I know for a fact that pilots definetly are treated with much more respect here and the pay is much better than anything a SAAB pilot will make flying for the regionals in the states.

Maybe before when you were trying to apply, the old chief pilot was here, because the new one is a straight forward guy. When they contacted me, they asked me how much time I would need, I told them and they got me a roundtrip ticket to Mali for the time I told them. However, the owner is still the same guy and since I have been here has never given us any grief about delaying or canceling a flight due to maintenance or weather. He just wants to be kept in the loop. He has never tried to withhold pay from us or anything like that. However, they did tell us upfront that if we violate the contract and just leave then dont expect to get paid for that month.

It seems like it just took a little time to get their ducks in a row here but now they have a good system down and are making an honest effort to run a safe and efficiant airline. However, they are not perfect and still have a few bumps to smooth out here and there, but they are small bumps.

Also I think the way they run the show here has alot to do with the type of pilots they have at the moment. Like I said before, I dont know who was here before me so I cant make judgements but from what I understand they seem to be more satisfied now with the current staffing because we give our input regularly on what can be done to make it a better work environment and for the first time in my career, management actually take the pilots advice!

They seem to realize that happy pilots makes their lives much easier, and unhappy pilots, well just dont fly.

Overall I think if you are truely interested in working West Africa flying the SAAB, then MAE is not a bad company to work for and it would be safe for you to send your CV again. If they are interested then they will contact you and bring you over, if not then they just wont respond.

billteasdale
28th May 2010, 16:24
My only impression of MAE management has been negative. As a pilot with Sahel Aviation Service, there were numerous times that MAE management "turned us in" to douane... saying, falsely, that we were carrying contraband on trips from Ghana or Guinea... which we never did. The result was to delay our flights, and cause extra headaches with the local officials in Bamako... all of whom knew that we did NOT break the rules!

The pilots, on the other hand, were always great on the radio, helped us with relays and weather, etc., as we did for them. They seemed as professional as anyone else.

So, I'd say that any perceived negative impressions, or truly negative experiences with MAE come from management actions, and not aircrew.

B737africa
29th May 2010, 11:01
if we violate the contract and just leave then dont expect to get paid for that month.

I did not violate the contract and still.........MAE own me money.

DrCaptPhD
31st May 2010, 18:01
billteasdale- im sorry to hear that. when did that happen?

billteasdale
7th Jun 2010, 21:38
It happened in late 2008 or early 2009... can't remember the exact date. Our dispatcher said that it wasn't the first time, either. Only happened to me, personally, the one time.

B737africa
8th Jun 2010, 19:22
billteasdale
I left on the July 2008 maybe we know each others.

billteasdale
18th Jun 2010, 22:43
billteasdale
I left on the July 2008 maybe we know each others.

I was there from May 12, 2008 through May 7, 2009. Then again from November 2009 to February 2010 but based in Conakry.

Bill