PDA

View Full Version : CAA accreditation

BEagle
8th Aug 2001, 20:00
Had an interesting chat with CAA FCL Policy 'tother day. One result of this is that those military pilots holding SEP Class Ratings and who wish to revalidate these by experience and dual training flight should note the following:

Any instructional flight or check flight conducted by a military instructor/examiner WHERE REQUIRED DURING THE COURSE OF A PILOT'S SERVICE DUTIES will satisfy the dual flight with an instructor requirement. This will include military IR check flights. However, flights conducted by a military QFI but not required as part of service duties will not be acceptable for this purpose.

Other snippets - GID 29 and GID 30 giving full details of military accreditation both FW (29) and RW (30) will soon be available. Also the application forms will be available on line and the FAQs on the www.tgda.gov.uk (http://www.tgda.gov.uk) website are being updated.

For those military FW pilots holding UK or JAA/FCL licenses, don't forget that a FW military IR also exempts you from needing to fly an IMC Rating test if you wish to exercise IMC Rating privileges on a SE aeroplane.

[ 08 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Tonkenna
8th Aug 2001, 21:36
BEagle,

Thanks for the link, it makes interesting reading. I have been looking for that info for a while. Cheers from sunny Scotland.

Tonks

:D :D

BEagle
8th Aug 2001, 21:43
Hi Tonks! Hope you managed something better than S&L 2 during your Summer Camp. Before you were a responsible married type (?), there would have been lots of opportunity for tower-babe watching whilst supposedly watching Bloggs and his/her chums smiting the runway in various ways doing endless 12/13s!!

Tonkenna
9th Aug 2001, 15:54
Cheers BEagle for the email, very helpful. Have to say that the reply from TGDA was v quick as well which was also helpful.

Oh yeah, just cause I am married doesn't mean I can't look.....so I did. Not bad!

Tonks :p

OOPS 78
13th Aug 2001, 16:41
Still no news on rotary exemptions. Is there anyone in the forces that we can talk to if we want to find out information. I've tried the CAA and they were very nice and helpful but at the end of the day they had no info, it was all down to the forces they said.

Flipper.
13th Aug 2001, 20:25
Tonks, I'm surprized you had any time for eyeing up the talent in 'Fenton what with visiting the staish in your No.1's and worrying about having the likes of me on camp.

Flipper :)

[ 13 August 2001: Message edited by: Flipper. ]

BEagle
13th Aug 2001, 21:31
Those of you who need to take the Military Bridging Package for Military Accreditation purposes should note that PPSC have ceased trading. However, I have just been advised that Atlantic Flight Training at Coventry now have approval to conduct the course.

Regarding RW exemptions, I don't want to misquote anyone but someone told me that the delay in getting the information out on the street has been due to RW negotiations; however, agreement has now been obtained and the CAA are busy producing the GIDs as fast as they can.

When I know anything more, I will certainly post a link here!

OOPS 78
15th Aug 2001, 16:29
BEagle,
Thanks v much for the info and all of the time and effort that you put into letting the rest of us know what is happening. If only the air farce did that itself.

Cheers
:cool: :cool:

Broken Wings
15th Aug 2001, 21:07
Guys

I've just signed up for the Mil Bridging package with Atlantic Flight Training today and will be the first to do it with them. I'll give you feed back at the end of it.

Tonkenna
16th Aug 2001, 04:26
Flipper..

Shhhhhush, you don't have to tell the whole world!!!!!

Git :cool:

Oh, and of course, they were'nt my No1s.

[ 16 August 2001: Message edited by: Tonkenna ]

Specaircrew
19th Aug 2001, 00:50
Come on then you may as well spill the beans!

BEagle
24th Aug 2001, 00:43
The information from TGDA has been updated today. The following link will take you to their website which also includes downloadable application forms etc:
http://www.tgda.gov.uk/CAA_Accreditation/CAAAccreditation.htm .

zak
24th Aug 2001, 01:57
Thank you very much BEagle for your last message. There has been much discusion on how one applies for the ATPL - thanks to you the procedure is becoming clearer. :)

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: zak ]

Broken Wings
25th Aug 2001, 22:10
Thanks BEagle for the update and it certainly looks like the guys at TGDA are doing a good job, the new forms have come at just the right moment for me. I'm nearly ready for the Mil Bridging exams at AFT and its going OK. Some slight anomolies to sort out (not unexpected as I'm the first to do it with them) and I'll give feedback after I've done them.

BEagle
25th Aug 2001, 23:01
Thanks for your kind comments. I expect something pretty positive on the RW front very soon.
Incidentally, QSPs needing to meet the requirements of FAQ 13, 14 or 26 could always do so at a suitable RAFFCA Flying Club...

[ 25 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Marine
29th Aug 2001, 06:00
I found an email soliciting my thought on another thread, one that received appropriate consideration and has died.

I know a Harrier exchange pilots have taken FAA ATP, FE, and commercial instrument exams on our mil. equivalency program. I’m not sure how it would apply to most of you here as the exchange pilots were stationed CONUS and had their various logs and records converted to U.S. mil equivalents.

I only had a brief conversation with an exchange Harrier driver and he was under the impression that the FAA license was acceptable in England.

The computer based tests have a data base of 1600 to 2000 questions with 200 to 500 on the computer generated tests (going from memory of only a couple? of years ago). The tests are very easy, far easier than any military written flight test. The only questions I had to try and memorize were legal crew duty days, cabin crew quals depending on acft. nationality, routes, etc. The helo aero was pretty basic as was the trans/super sonic aero.

The flight test standards were less than our first safe for solo check ride in primary flight.

Just some general info. in case it helps out.

BEagle
29th Aug 2001, 09:17
Thanks, Marine, but the FAA commercial licence would be of no virtually no value here in Europe to ex-UK mil aircrew unless they were to restrict themselves to trying to seek employment flying US-registered aircraft. To convert a FAA ATPL to a JAR/FCL ATPL would require much, much more than the current UK accreditation rights for experienced Qualified Service Pilots!

Marine
30th Aug 2001, 01:43
BEagle,

This was a "few" years back and it appears before your current mil. accreditation. I did find out that our FAA conversion were very easy to accomplish though enriching those who signed off on the tests. Very little practical knowledge tested and none was imparted.

I had the experience a few months back in seeing a few FAA administered check rides to a couple of pilots (757/767) in one our major airlines. The questions were along the lines of "Do you know your flap speeds?" not "Do you know your flap speeds and what are they?", huge difference. Only a single handful of digits worth of memory emergency procedures the rest being "I’d look it up in section X". Very interesting.