PDA

View Full Version : AAARRRGGGHHH

MightyGem
20th Jul 2001, 13:47
Anybody watched "The Dambusters" lately? The PC police have only dubbed out ******!! ****** is now called "boy". Better mount guard on ******'S grave incase they try to alter that as well!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

MightyGem
20th Jul 2001, 13:55
So, it seems that pprune has been got at!! The stars in my last post should read "N" "I" "G" "G" "E" "R".

:mad: :mad:

X-QUORK
20th Jul 2001, 15:31
Not a dog you'd want to lose in Brixton.
:eek: :eek:

[ 20 July 2001: Message edited by: X-QUORK ]

John Eacott
20th Jul 2001, 16:34
Glad to report that the ABC TV broadcast the film a fortnight ago without censorship. PC is creeping in down here, maybe the PC luddites haven't woken up to such dastardly attempts to re write history :rolleyes:

Fortyodd
20th Jul 2001, 17:40
Fortunately, being a spotter, I've got the film on video. Totally uncensored and "Boy" is known by his real name. What really concerns me though is that before the raid, all those brave chaps were shown eating greasy fried food and drinking non de-caff. Now that can't be acceptable in todays caring, sharing, enviromentally friendly, PC, equal opportunity, healthy option Fighting forces. (Whoops! that's a bit too aggressive a word, lets use "Services" instead). ;)

Min Decent Ht
20th Jul 2001, 22:19
In the version I saw they didn't drop any of those nasty bouncing things, but poppies instead to improve the morale of the German people. Or was that the 60th anniversary of the BoB at Buck Palace? I can't remember.

My old man's a mushroom etc.

I say 'Drop bombs, kill people and break their stuff'. Its all part of growing up and being British.

Snapshot
20th Jul 2001, 23:47
Mighty Gem,
Are you serious?
Snappers

Blue Stuff
21st Jul 2001, 13:57
******. Just testing.

Blue Stuff
21st Jul 2001, 14:03
Bloody hell!

Is this what we've come to? Apparently, we can't be trusted not to make insulting or defamatory posts, because Nanny State has waded in and censored us! :eek:

Before editing this post, I also tried "f***" and "c**t" to see what would happen. They were also starred-out. I'd like to think that I'm articulate enough not to resort to these words in posts anyway, but it's rather insulting that somebody should have seen fit to apply this 'Big Brother' censorship.

I note that w-o-g also gets starred-out. I can think of no reasonable circumstance in which use of this word would be appropriate, but I can't believe that we aren't credited with the intelligence to work that one out for ourselves. :mad:

There is very little in the world of PC claptrap which surprises me any more. However, this does indeed set a worrying precedent. How long will it be before the 'Military Pilots' forum is forcibly removed, because our profession is no longer socially acceptable? End of rant.

Blue.

[ 21 July 2001: Message edited by: Blue Stuff ]

Captain Kirk
21st Jul 2001, 14:15
Sadly, it was only a matter of time. Incidentally, 6 foot used to have '******' as a sqn callsign but were obliged to drop it after failing to get a response from ATC at Lakenheath - the only reply, after 4 or 5 attempts was 'I ain't talkin' to you man!'

Slightly off beat but on films - I was stateside recently and queueing up for a ticket to 'Pearl Harbor' (sorry about the spelling) when the Spam in front turned to his mate and said 'So this is where the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor right?'

Per Ardua Ad Ardua

BEagle
21st Jul 2001, 17:29
Apparently it won't even accept S****horpe. That is Sc un thorpe in Linconlshire. Only goes to show that the nanny-editor must have visited the wretched place once!

Ah - seems I was right! Wonder what it would make of Stwathorpe?

[ 21 July 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Blue Stuff
21st Jul 2001, 20:01
Wot, you mean S****horpe? Perhaps if we all posted sufficient profanities simultaneously, we could crash the system. How infantile!
Ha ha. ;)

Blue.

P.S. Ooops - I've clocked up 69 posts. Isn't that supposed to be a rude number? Shhhh - Nanny hasn't noticed yet.

[ 21 July 2001: Message edited by: Blue Stuff ]

Flatus Veteranus
21st Jul 2001, 21:38
Capt Pprune's censor is really quite tolerant. Auntie Beeb won't even accept "cocktail" and "feckless". In both cases the first syllable is highlighted in red at the Review stage and, if not changed, the whole post is rejected.

Agree that some words these days are quite rightly unacceptable, which were in general use in the past. It is impossible, for example, to give an authentic account of life in the Canal Zone in the '50s with out referring to Egyptian terrorists as Wiley Oriental Gentlemen. But I deleted a ditty using this word from a recent post because there was a major riot in a Northern city the night I posted it.

There can be no hard rules about the use of industrial language. Context is all that matters so far as taste is concerned.

Blue Stuff
22nd Jul 2001, 15:26
Flatus,

I don't think it's Capt PPRuNe's censor; it's more likely to be the desk drivers at Infopoop (wot 'powers' this site) who are terrified of being sued. Spineless gits! We all know that if anybody were to post deliberately racist verbiage on here, the rest of us would jump on 'em immediately.

Anyway, if the existing censorship on the site was taken to its logical conclusion, it would preclude much of the 'sexist and childish' humour which we all enjoy (see recent thread!).

Imagine the damage to ornithological websites when people can no longer write about shags or tits! :rolleyes:

Genitals to the fanatical PC police! :p

Blue.

Jackonicko
22nd Jul 2001, 19:05
While you never used to be able to type bollocks properly, b0ll0cks always slipped through. Perhaps if you could find the cent symbol. or tried accents, naughty words like çunt would be possible?

EESDL
23rd Jul 2001, 17:06
PC fightback:
I was flying a party of Germans the other day (it t'was a day made for flying), when I noticed an unusual amount of 'chat' from the 'talking freight'......It was then I realised that I was humming the theme tune to 'The Dambusters' over the intercom!!!

CAC Runaway
25th Jul 2001, 18:39
Its ****

fobotcso
25th Jul 2001, 19:20
...and you're looking very well on it, Jacko!

AllTrimDoubt
25th Jul 2001, 21:25
Always said if I got a dog, I'd call him "Syndrome"

Love to see the PC crowd reaction when you shout "Down Syndrome!" in public! :p