View Full Version : Ryanair cost cutting plan

dannyalliga
3rd Nov 2009, 00:03
I would like to open a thread for FR managers to read and implement revolutionary and modern ideas to cut costs , improve efficency and add value for our shareholders.
I will start with a couple of ideas that a colleague came up with a few days ago, you can all add yours and let's hope our wise managers will implement them:

1- closure of all crewrooms and briefings to be done directly on aircraft with paperwork printed by F/O on his own printer and paper back home before coming to the airport
2-duty could this way start 15 minutes before ETD
3-crew to buy and carry their own fire gloves,life vests,PBE,crash axe and BCF bottle
4-loadsheets to be done on a re-usable plastic sample and then signed copy sent to dispatcher with an MMS from Capt.'s own phone
5-weight loss campaign to be launched amongst crews with minimum loss 10 kilos in 6 months in order to lower average standard weights and allow more payload

Your turn guys now, let's make this airline a better workplace!!

captjns
3rd Nov 2009, 00:33
Earth to dannyalliga... earth to dannyalliga... come in dannyalliga. Hello!!!! anyone home? April Fools Day is still five months away:}:}. I love it though!

If the process ain't broken... then don't fix it. Oh wait... this may be the next standard for crews:eek:.

FLEXPWR
3rd Nov 2009, 00:52
What? All these things haven't been done already? :} :}

bumba
3rd Nov 2009, 07:31
which pilots will transition to Airbus when the CEO will cut all the bridges with Boeing?
ATW Daily News (http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=18372)

captjns
3rd Nov 2009, 07:37
which pilots will transition to Airbus when the CEO will cut all the bridges with Boeing?

De javu. from the original purchase agreement way back when.

Rudi747
3rd Nov 2009, 09:30
i think it's a great idea! but first:

if you want to be a pilot, you don't pay anything!at this time, you must pay about 70000€ to became a professional pilot.. and now, you want that a fisrt officer prit the documents at his house?

Navigator33
3rd Nov 2009, 09:40
Ehm Rudi...

BigNumber
3rd Nov 2009, 09:50
I still cannot begin to understand why the TR package is still Euro 33K.

Surely, being the only gig in town, it is not unrealistic to price the 'dowry' accordingly.

I think Euro 45K is not unrealistic. THEY WILL STILL BEG FOR THE CHANCE!

Frankly, they will "fly" off the shelf.

UncleTravelingMatt
4th Nov 2009, 08:13
Replace push back trucks with cabin crew on airport stand by. They are there for free anyways...:}

Cough
4th Nov 2009, 09:35
Always land with a tailwind to lower the fuel burn on final

welliewanger
4th Nov 2009, 21:07
All staff are to purchase pedometers (step counters). At the end of the month step totals should be submitted to payroll and a "carpet and floor wear and tear" fee shall be deducted from salaries. Employees (sorry, "contractors") are advised (not) to take steps to reduce costs.

Flintstone
4th Nov 2009, 21:33
Employees (sorry, "contractors") are advised (not) to take steps to reduce costs.

Very droll :D

G-AWZK
4th Nov 2009, 21:39
Now why not get petty and ban staff from plugging phone chargers in? Make the staff buy their own stationary, or better yet tell them to steal it from hotels.

You couldn't make it up. :eek:

dire straits
4th Nov 2009, 23:23
Steal from hotels........
We are never in hotels, either sleeping in our cars or in a lowcost B&B!!

G-AWZK
4th Nov 2009, 23:32
I didn't say that you stayed in hotels, did I? :}

It was from a Wall Street Journal interview:
MOL "We at Ryanair have a policy of stealing hotel pens. We won't pay for Bic biros as part of our obsession with low costs".

RadAlt
5th Nov 2009, 00:09
We at Ryanair have a policy of stealing hotel pens
It's the managers that stay in the hotels though, when they do their annual (or twice a year now!) tour around Europe to telle veryone about more paycuts because RYR made €2million net profit a day over the last 6 months!:rolleyes:

dannyalliga
5th Nov 2009, 02:49
1- Have the fuel figures and landing info sent to ground handling via SMS at Captain's own expense using the onboard ONAIR system (I guess it's .5 euro cents each message multiplied by approximately 600 flights a day it should come out with an approximate 110.000 euros/year).

2- Get rid of cleaners at the end of the day and just use the last crew to land to deep clean the aircraft since duty times end at blocks on and crew could be legally used for a couple more hours (cleaning products to be bought at own cost of course)

3- Have the Captains doing mandatory PA's advertising scratch cards and bus tickets to improve sales (we all know that the Captain's authoritative voice could do the trick).

4- Sandwiches and pizzas to be prepared by cabin crew at home in their own time and at their own expenses and to be sold onboard with the money going to FR

5- Pilots to invite kids into flightdeck after flight to make pictures and videos of them at a cost

Capt Pit Bull
5th Nov 2009, 09:13
1. Shut down an engine at top of descent.

2. Shut down BOTH engines at top of descent.

stansdead
5th Nov 2009, 12:18
Capt Pit Bull,

You obviously have no idea.

Ryanair would prefer you to switch off an engine immediately after takeoff.

Why waste money and fuel in the climb and cruise? After all, the aircraft is designed to be able to fly on a single engine.....:ok:

whatdoesthisbuttondo
5th Nov 2009, 12:44
Ask new pilots to pay Ryanair to work for them.

It's the logical next step after getting them to pay for interviews, sim assessments, training, uniforms, crew food, I.Ds, car park passes etc etc. . . .

Ryanair pilots wouldn't even stop it happening, as long as they had a job and the company was making money.

I bet the managers will be taking notes from this thread.

lowcostdolly
5th Nov 2009, 14:31
And I bet they are taking notes!!!! :eek::eek:

This thread is being talked about by some orange crew as well. It's the funniest thing we have seen for a long time...:D:D:D
A tad worried though because when I'm on airport standby as CC I'm paid.... albeit a pittance.I might actually be expected to earn my money now :uhoh:

Just imagine some "forward thinking" manager at orangeland might actually plagerise these ideas as their own so not only would they have CC pushing back the planes but CC are expensive on airport standby at EZY so why not utilise them for the following at EZY or FR:

Baggage loading....why pay a loader when the airport standby CC can do it??:}
Re fueling the plane....how hard can it be really?? A CC could manage it. After all you only have to stick the pipe in the wing don't you? Nothing else matters at this point other than OTP.....hopefully??:hmm:
Gate revenue.....how have any LOCO managers missed this one!!! We all know the CC are on board to create ancillary revenue don't we??. Why carry their extra wieght if not neccesary. Do the service at the gate on boarding. In fact proof of purchase could supersede the boarding card :E !!! Furthermore we could sell them seatbelts, loo tokens etc at this point as wellBut what about safety? Well we can always rely on the fact that pax don't give a monkeys about the CC contribution to this anyway. However the CAA are so damn picky.....they want briefings and ABP's :uhoh:

Why not do the safety briefing pre flight at the boarding gate? To check SLF understanding we could do a competition (paid entry of course) where the highest score gets an emergency exit row and some legroom aka an ABP....after all anyone can open a door right?? That has been previously posted on PPrune....:rolleyes:

For reassurance purposes we could have some CC "mini me's"!! Inflatables at the exits to make the SLF think we are actually there but they actually weigh nothing.....OMG I forgot about fuel efficency until now.

In case anyone is wondering I post in jest and have the ability to laugh at both companies. Who knows what may be policy next week :ugh:

Keep it coming people......hilarious:):):)

Dufo
5th Nov 2009, 19:53
Penalize flight crew for flying any distance greater than great circle departure to destination + 50NM. Shout, yell, beg and squeeze that ATC!!

h3dxb
5th Nov 2009, 19:54
I would install ENGILOT's.

Train the lazy buggers in the front as engineers, ENGINEER + PILOT = ENGILOT

They sit the whole turn around in the cockpit, damn, when they break something, they should fix it themself....would safe a fortune :ugh:

peterinmadrid
6th Nov 2009, 01:57
Charge passengers an extra 10 pounds each not to be punched squarly in the face on boarding the plane.

ALFRED
6th Nov 2009, 02:54
Captains all have Gold Mater Cards, havn't they ?
I'm pretty sure Fuel Truck Drivers take Master cards. Or CC's one. Ask them. :p

jetopa
6th Nov 2009, 08:17
Install a frequent-flyer loyalty programme and force every employee to fly a minimum amount of legs (full fare, of course) every year and to acquire friends / family to do the same. If the targeted number of flights at the end of the year is not being met, deduct something from the salaries.

It's their job, isn't it? Everyone on FR's payroll should get involved.

Microburst2002
7th Nov 2009, 06:54
You RYR pilots wish... No, you need that all other airlines go bankrupt.
There is one who told me that:
"In this manner, all of you would have to go ask O´leary, the big pimp, for a job.
Only then you would know the pleasure of working for him. Really. If you just knew how it feels. He is so, so "macho"...! He knows when you deserve a punishment. Ah, and the fear he puts on you... Not even the fear you experience in the Cassino can match that. It is so addictive! You are going to love it, I promise.
Join us!
join us....
join us....
join us...."

then I started running as I realised she had all her clothes ragged and was walking towards me with her arms extended. And other fellows appeared in the same fashion.
"Join us...
join us...
join us..."

Ah, no. This was a nightmare, only.
But it can become true, sadly.

My contribution to cost cutting:

"PEE BEFORE GETTING INSIDE THE AIRPLANE. GET RID OF ALL THAT EXTRA WEIGHT"

FlyingOfficerKite
7th Nov 2009, 19:48
I'm surprised that MOL hasn't followed the example set by the military - that is assign 'secondary duties'.

The pilot is employed in the 'general duties' department of the airline with a primary duty as 'pilot'.

Individual pilots could then be designated for additional duties (excluding Union Rep of course!).

This would ensure maximum use of resources whilst achieving minimum cost.

I don't know of any specific examples but these may include:

1. Photographer for Ryanair Calendar;
2. Interviewing suitable candidates for said Calendar (male pilots only);
3. MOL car washer (whilst on airport standby only);
4. MOL valet (whilst on airport standby only);
5. Actually the list is endless ...

FOK

dannyalliga
7th Nov 2009, 20:36
LOADSHEETS:

why does the company have to spend thousands of $ in printing those loadsheets when the crews are fully trained not only to check, fill and sign but also to draw them!

Have the crews take a few A4 papers from home and make them fill in those loadsheets with their own pens in 2 copies.

The first 2 copies will be prepared by the F/O up to the payload at home after he's found out the APS weight for his aircraft by calling ops with his own phone, the following copies can be comfortably done in the cruise during flights.

If the IAA has anything to object then the airline could do a one day training on "fast loadsheet preparation" in order to bring the crews up to speed with their drawing techniques , of course at the pilots' expense.

Would be better if some other airlines like BA implemented some of the above ideas?
then they might stop posting loses of millions and millions!!!!!!!!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gifThen at least this time next year their pilots will have a job!

IRISHPILOT1990,
why would you care about BA and other loss making airlines?????
Our shareholders and cost cutting are the only things we should be concerned about!!
When other airlines go bust and fellow pilots lose thir jobs we should celebrate!!!We wish every competitor bad luck by painting our aircraft with explicit sentences afterall...

Talking about painting aircraft....BRK pilots should be called in with their own paint to do that job during their mandatory month off.
They are self employed professionals afterall!

essexboy
9th Nov 2009, 08:27
When vis is good draw a magenta line up the windscreen and turn off all electrics.

MPH
9th Nov 2009, 13:05
What a daft amount of comments! I bet half of the posting are done by no-Ryanair pilots and the other half probably, would not be accepted in the company. What is this...evey company looks for costing cutting measures. Some are unreasnable and others are just not plane feasable. The fact of the matter is that for one reason or another this company, seems to be making money. Charging low fares and obvously keeping the costs down!! Or how else do you think they are able to attract 62m pax every year. Certainly not for good service! But yes, offering lower fares, getting off on time and flying to places where others don't want to fly too. The Fr format is working but, obvously with a strong oposition from others in the industry!

Flintstone
9th Nov 2009, 16:32
http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/fishing.gif

Well done folks, you got one.

Ten West
9th Nov 2009, 17:00
You going to weigh him and pop him in the keep net along with Slim Shandy then Flinters? :E

Flintstone
9th Nov 2009, 17:44
That'd be poaching, not my catch. ;)

StressFree
9th Nov 2009, 18:10
Ha ha ha, this is great humour BUT it has a horrible likeness to the guests on the Titanic cracking jokes about icebergs.....:eek:

MPH, you must be the chap who polishes and re-arranges the deck-chairs on the aforementioned Titanic, hope you're happy in your work, its got a great future :E

fireflybob
9th Nov 2009, 18:34
Passenger window blinds to be closed and can only be opened after inserting one euro!

The Real Slim Shady
9th Nov 2009, 21:40
Strange you should come up with all these great revenue enhancers when we are actively looking for means of increasing the ancillary revenue and saving on operating costs.

One of the issues under consideration is charging the equivalent of "corkage" on the food and drink you bring on board as we have to pay to have it removed: think of it as your contribution to the environment rather than a charge.

The other one we are critically examining is the introduction of a "green charge": it has nothing to do with the environment of course, but since you lot love to whine about "hidden charges", we thought that a charge for flying Irish as a "green charge" would give you endless hours of entertainment. Aer Lingus may also introduce this charge.

Our efforts also extend to reducing the costs at arports: we are now carrying metal trays to asssit in in the speedy disembarkation of passengers of reduced mobility as the lift off can often be time consuming and traumatic, not say expensive.

dannyalliga
10th Nov 2009, 05:16
Why have management people tour all our bases like lately just to discuss the implementation of something which is already in the current agreements like pay and T&C freezes?
These trips cost money and are absolutely pointless because the company would implement the pay freezes in any case.

These managers should stay home and save the company money while the pay freezes go ahead by themselves with no need to explain anything.

Ten West
10th Nov 2009, 09:16
One of the issues under consideration is charging the equivalent of "corkage" on the food and drink you bring on board as we have to pay to have it removed: think of it as your contribution to the environment rather than a charge.

Doesn't worry me one iota. I will never, under any circumstances, travel with Ryanair and neither will anyone I know. Even if I didn't get staff rates with my airline I'd rather pay the extra and go with a proper carrier thanks all the same.

I'm firmly of the opinion that their cumulative dodgy practices will end in tears and/or twisted metal one day, and I don't want to be involved in it when it does.

postman23
10th Nov 2009, 17:15

By that logic, the aforementioned skanky outfit would have to pay medical fees to its passengers upon arrival to cover psychological treatment. :eek:
I know, I know people board MOL's airline on a voluntary basis, still haven't figured out why though :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

MPH
11th Nov 2009, 15:05
STRESSFREE: No, actualy I could have been ( if, I had been alive) the reporter how brought to life all the errors commited in the Titanic accident. He showed up the faults from the building, the arrogance and the cock up made by some of the crew and the captain. Not all projects and procedures are full proof. It's not until you try them out that you find out, if they work or not? Having said that, I am sure that even RYR will change and modify its work plan and ethics. But, for the time being it seems to work. And for the record I have flown in several airlines, flying wide body to narrow. Why several because they went bankrupt. And after 23000hrs of flying, I have certainly have seen how this industry has changed for better or for worst. That is a point of view that relates to the world economics and a little word that's known as: Goloblization! Whether you like it or not blame someone else but not as in my case someone who like his job and is happy to have one.

StressFree
11th Nov 2009, 16:21
MPH,
Well thank you very much for your post, its most valuable and helps the debate, clearly you like the Ryanair model and 'after 23,000 hours' (!!!!) you feel happy to continue with this workload then please carry on. I won't be one of your passengers, 'goloblization' or otherwise.......

MPH
11th Nov 2009, 22:24
No choice but to carry on...good thing about FR you can book online and you will probalbly will be not noticed. Lets put it this way. Every company strives to survive and apply the model they think is the right one. In the case of RYR it works. In the model used by other carriers it has also worked. But, unfortunatly for others it has lead to banckrupcy. Lets not bash a company for their way of doing things and pretend that the others are the only ones whom are correct?:)

dannyalliga
12th Nov 2009, 02:06
MPH,

from one like you, with wide and narrow body experience and 23k hours , we expect some great cost cutting ideas based on your background.

And don't tell me FR is already doing it the best they can, you know very well they can cut even further.....I have an idea for instance:

1- pilots who have seen it all, been there, done that and who are happy 'cause they have a job and are not bankrupt after 23k hours should be more than happy to accept a paycut based on the above statements and also on the fact that they have been living like kings for the past 20k hours in other airlines and now they should help the company save some money giving a good example to the young folks who still think about ridiculous stuff like benefits or T&C's.

MPH
12th Nov 2009, 14:30
Dannyalliga:
I did not say that! What I said that the actual cost cutting and the model FR uses, seems to work. My experience has nothing to do with what I have to sugest to a company or any company in relation to cost cuttying. I just do my job, follow their SOP's and mind my own bussiness. Now if, they want to pay me extra, I might look into the already thin line of cutting more costs. But, to be honest their are sufficent 'wizz' managers around whom are payed to do this without me advising them or the company. And, I repeat for some companies their model works and for others, it does not! I think that what's important is, that the companies that are doing well, can expand and at least there would be more work around. Whether or not we like there way of doing things or not!

oapilot
12th Nov 2009, 15:36
As MOL is the great servant of the masses, bringing cheap and joyful travel for all to enjoy, he should copy that other great bastion of civil duty and introduce means testing for all crews. Only those living so far below the breadline that they can't afford to thumb a lift to work would qualify for pay.
He could run the system on the same basis as Tax Credits, and then claw back all the payouts from ex crews pensions on the basis that the original calculations were wrong and everyone was overpaid....
OR
He could hold a seat sale for the two seats in the flightdeck, with those bidding highest getting to work those sectors. OK, I realise this would only work for contractors as they have to fly to get paid, but its a start....

:}

groundfloor
12th Nov 2009, 16:08
Passengers and Crew should only board after having been to the little boys/girls room - Only start APU to start engines - off immediately after start, No pack operation until Climb Power. ( If its really hot theyl sweat off more weight - BONUS!!)

Fill up aircraft from the back to move cg aft at all times, only aft toilet to be used for same purpose.

Retrofit cockpits with manual seats to save on weight and electricity and the cg goes aft again..

Get offending aircrew to remove all paint from aircraft to save weight.

Only accept vacuum packed luggage, don`t want to carry air around.

All fuel from fuel checks to be sold to Fo car dwellers to burn in drums in winter in the car park..

The Real Slim Shady
12th Nov 2009, 16:16
We fire danny alliga and save the cost of one bitter and twisted FO :D:D:D:D:D

JW411
12th Nov 2009, 16:31
Friend of mine went "tits up" in Carcasonne in his very nice and expensive turbo.

The only way home was FR and that cost £300 each (one way) because they wanted to travel "instantly" - like now.

What is wrong with that? They wanted to travel "instantly" and they were prepared to pay the price. If they had wanted to pay £10 then they would have to have booked their disaster well in advance.

Before I retired, I had a flight engineer friend who used to book eight flights a month with FR between Charleroi and Stanstead. That exercise cost him €80 per month, or, if you like, €10 per flight.

That exercise is called the principle of the 6 Ps:

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

captplaystation
12th Nov 2009, 17:31
groundfloor

If you are going to make suggestions like fitting manual instead of electric seats in the cockpit, please do enough research so you can differentiate between an A319 (that is Easy Jet) and a B738.
You will find that the manufacturer took care of that suggestion before the aircraft left Seattle, like every other 737 to my knowledge.

Duh ! :ugh:

groundfloor
12th Nov 2009, 17:36
My humble apologies, not seating by wire (SBW) - well done Boeing!!

SKYWRITER1
12th Nov 2009, 17:50
1. Make cabin lighting and even flight deck electrics run on dynamo generated electricity (similar to wind up radios/torches) This will save on engine generators thus reducing fuel burn. (note: all dynamos must be charged preflight to prevent carrying excess weight.) The F/O could calculate number of turns required preflight as part of his duties.

2. Shellsuits/paper forensic suits as uniforms. They could have painted ties and stipes on them, but think of the weight you would save!

3. Drill holes in the skin and fill them with cork. Add an extra hole per sector. After the first hull loss, reduce number of holes drilled by one :ok:

4. Put those flush saver devices for toilets in the fuel tanks. You would carry less weight in fuel, but the gauges would still show minimum reserves on landing.

5. Fill tyres with helium.

6. Only operate from airports where the apron is higher than the runway. The upslope could be used instead of braking. And you could free wheel to the threshold before starting engines.

I love this thread, keep it up guys.............:ok::}:ok::}

dannyalliga
14th Nov 2009, 04:03
Looks like the idea of getting rid of those costly and colourful loadsheets/performance charts and having the F/O's drawing them at home won't be realistic; somebody has raised a safety concern about it: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/11/13/334754/regulators-worry-about-take-off-performance-miscalculation.html

We fire danny alliga and save the cost of one bitter and twisted FO :D:D:D:D:Dshimmy shaved, how do you fire somebody who you don't even employ?you just put them off the roster, which you can do for FREE and without even having to spend money on stamps for a dismissal letter.
Maybe you should get fired for such costly and inefficient ideas.....:E:E

Wizzaird
16th Nov 2009, 08:16
1. No diversions around weather allowed. Pax to be informed that they are going to get the "Alton Towers experience" at no extra cost.

2. No entries to be made in the ATL until the aircraft is due for a C check.

3. De-Icing only using waste fluid from the lavatories to save on expensive de-icing fluid. Procedure to be carried out by the FO using a hand pump.

4. To save using standby crew, passengers who have flown more than 10 times with FR may be used as cabin crew and be offered a free bottle of water, and passengers who have flown more than 15 times may be used as flight deck crew and offered a free cheese sandwich.
:}