PDA

View Full Version : Auric Air Needs Caravan guys

atpcliff
2nd Nov 2009, 18:12
Hi!

Just heard they are looking for experienced caravan drivers.

Mwanza, Tanzania.

cliff
NBO

mwanzanese
26th Dec 2009, 17:09
yes, asap please! We're kind of overworked! And make sure you know everything about G1000.

I.R.PIRATE
27th Dec 2009, 09:05
What is the pay like?

lilflyboy262
27th Dec 2009, 09:43
Requirements? Currently in a holding pattern in Namibia :(

DashRiprock
27th Dec 2009, 10:21
Does Mwela still like his Snickers?

flyingfish24
29th Dec 2009, 07:07
I went to their website looking for info, do they do any lodge flying. only flights I could find for them where in and out of Mwanza. Is that all they do, or do they do other stuff?

Pro1966
29th Dec 2009, 11:17
Why are they having such problems getting experienced van drivers?? surely in todays climate this should not be a problem!! :confused: come on guys get out there.

Carrier
29th Dec 2009, 20:02
If they were operating the F406 Caravan twin it would be a good gig. However, the C208 Caravan has only one engine. Anyone considering flying it should read these threads:

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/149095-van-has-engine-failure-tanzania.html

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/123075-van-down-tanz.html

http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/155914-pilatus-pc-12s.html

http://www.pprune.org/caribbean-latin-america/128841-c208-incidents.html

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/308474-caravan-engine-failure-tsv.html

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/397085-aeroplanes-down-tanzania-whats-up.html

Soap Box Cowboy
30th Dec 2009, 13:51
Have flown over 2500 hours in vans, never had engine trouble. But there is a noticable difference between those engines that have been looked after and been operated gently and those that have at the other extreme been thrashed and treated like pistons.

Keep pushing any engine to it's limits and it degrade accordingly. I've flown a couple of vans that were operated by select pilots by the owners discretion. Those engines reached TBO with plenty of grunt left. Other vans flown by several different pilots seem to suffer a bit more. I think the issue would be the different operating styles of pilots, whilst if only one or two flew the aircraft the engine becomes in a way moulded to a particular style, also having your "own aircraft" creates a personal connection and a greater familiarity offering better oversight on it's performance and condition and a gentler touch.

I heard one operator in Botswana started a policy of each of their vans only being operated by two pilots. Making it their aicraft and their responsibility to ensure it's proper use.

I think PT-6's are great and far stronger than Garrets, it's a better suited engine to harsh conditions and the high demands of cycles and enviorment found in bush and remote operation.

HughHefner
30th Dec 2009, 16:28
Do you need previous Caravan experience or just know everything about the G1000? I've done plenty of G1000 flight, but only flown C172s, 182RG, and PA-44s.

rigpiggy
30th Dec 2009, 16:59
Having flown both the PT6 and pistons, I would say if you were as nice to the PT6 as we were to pistons they would go well past TBO. ie: stage cooling planned descents etc.....

samjetblaster
30th Dec 2009, 19:29
Well said Carrier.These are a bunch of amateurs.As long as you know the right people and have a bit of money,you can pull anything off.Sad to see that anyone can run a charter company in Tanzania.

900expilot
30th Dec 2009, 22:56
Are you joking? Stage cooling in a turbine engine? Whomever gave you your training should have their certification removed. How do you stage cool something that is always on fire? Your ignorance of turbine engines is extraordinary.

rigpiggy
31st Dec 2009, 10:15
Actually the statement was wrt soapbox cowboy's statement about thrashing it like a piston engine.
"But there is a noticable difference between those engines that have been looked after and been operated gently and those that have at the other extreme been thrashed and treated like pistons."

Pistons require a much greater degree of finesse to run reliably. turbines well we should go down now ok power to idle/nts/bottom of the green 60psi torque etc..... pratt/garrett/dart. once on the ground a 3 minute cooldown is advisable , otherwise watch the torques/temps and your golden.

lilflyboy262
31st Dec 2009, 10:57
Before this turns into yet another thread of people trying to outdo each other in their knowledge of turbine engines, does anyone know the requirements to work for them? Please and thanks.

flyhardmo
1st Jan 2010, 04:32
does anyone know the requirements to work for them? Please and thanks.

You have to be stupid and desperate.:E

atpcliff
1st Jan 2010, 17:30
Hi!

Currently, they don't need pilots, but it could change soon. I did not hear any complaints from anyone working there. However, it IS Africa, so that in itself makes it very unlike any N. American job.

They fly schd runs from Mwanza to Bukova, and they do charter flights all over, mostly to mining locations. They have Caravans, a light twin, and maybe a C208???

I know a couple of pilots that work for them. If U have no Caravan experience, they send U to training at FlightSafety?? in the US, and U have to agree to fly for them for 2 years. If U are Caravan trained, they will take U right away.

Pilots live in Bukova, which is small, and very 3rd world. Mwanza, is nicer, and they planes go for MX in Nairobi, which is nicer still.

cliff
NBO

lilflyboy262
3rd Jan 2010, 08:16
Thanks NBO. Much appreciated.

austra1998
4th Jan 2010, 09:51
u must be joking!!! the pilots live in bukoba???? no wonder no one want the job!

from bad to worst!

austra

mwanzanese
15th Jan 2010, 16:26
Hi,

All very funny, those outside stories... Auric is doing better than the world thinks apparently, from ****ty a couple of years ago maybe, to 3 C208. For your information: Year of manufacturing: 2008, 2009, 2009/2010. Who does better? No incidents on them since new. Mwanza is the hub and that's where you live. Due to the schedule, one plane sits every night in Bukoba. Pilots are alternating nightstops there. Pay depends on experience and minimum 1000hrs as standard in Tz to sit in the van. Applying is also standard, email doesn't do anything. Show up and don't look like you've been out the night before. If you have experience on it, good. If not, we train you anyway. Looking for pilots? Yes, but if you're not in Tz with the license in your hand, you're already too late. It's pretty acute.

Hope to have relieved some questions!

lilflyboy262
18th Jan 2010, 10:14
Hi mwanzanese,

Licence in hand meaning that we have to be holding a Tanz~ licence?

I've heard rumours of having to have 1000 hours before they will validate your licence? Is this true? Or is that only for Zambia.

Thanks in advance

atpcliff
18th Jan 2010, 21:50
Hi!

Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, etc. are all different countries, with different CAAs with different rules.

I'm not sure what the rules are for Tanzania, as I am licensed in Kenya.

Validation and Conversion are two different things. Validation is where the CAA lets you fly on your home country license, typically for a limited time period. Conversion is where they use your home country license to give you a full new license from the respective CAA. Conversion is much more difficult, time consuming, and costly, typically. Some places will not do, or strongly prefer not to do a Validation.

In my experience, a Validation will work on an airplane that is not licensed in the country you are flying in (I had a Kenya Validation to fly a plane licensed in Sao Tome). A Conversion is needed to fly a native plane (I got a Kenya Conversion to fly a plane licensed in Kenya).

You will need a license, medical, radio license, and an instrument check to get a full Conversion to the new country's license. Converting an ATP is much better than converting a CPL, at least in Kenya.

cliff
NBO

mwanzanese
28th Jan 2010, 07:19
Have no idea about validation, its probably easier to apply for your licence. Just have to study a bit.

mentorbz
13th Aug 2010, 20:26
My brother,
it is difficult to leave a current caravan job to go all the way to africa to "look" for a job. I am a caravan captain with over 5000hrs and am very much interested in looking for a job somewhere else to get to know another part of the world.

Any inputs? Any other advice other than having to go all the way over there?