PDA

View Full Version : Bob Ainsworth

Epsilon minus
2nd Nov 2009, 12:31
Back in the days of Harold Wilson's government military chiefs considered a coup d'etat. Time to reconsider I think.

The highly critical report, by Charles Haddon-Cave QC, said the Afghanistan crash occurred because of a “systemic breach” of the military covenant.

A safety review of the Nimrod MR2 carried out by the MoD, BAE Systems and QinetiQ was branded a “lamentable job”.

Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth apologised to victims’ families.

Mr Haddon-Cave condemned the change of organisational culture within the MoD between 1998 and 2006, when financial targets came to distract from safety.

He quoted a former senior RAF officer who told his inquiry: “There was no doubt that the culture of the time had switched.

“In the days of the RAF chief engineer in the 1990s, you had to be on top of airworthiness.

“By 2004 you had to be on top of your budget if you wanted to get ahead.”

Mr Haddon-Cave’s report also criticised two RAF officers.

Ainsworth is the man who told us the Nimrod was airworthy. He lied then and should go.

BBC NEWS | UK | Nimrod review reveals ‘failures’.

Categories: Afghanistan, Bob Ainsworth, MOD, Nimrod, RAFTags: Afghanistan, Ainsworth, Haddon-Cave, lies, Nimrod, Qinetiq, report, XV230
Bob Ainsworth: Stating the bleeding Obvious
September 28th, 2009fitaloonNo comments
According to the Telegraph Bob Ainsworth, the Defence Secretary, has admitted the Government has pushed the armed forces “too hard” and that Britain only has scope for a “relatively small” troop increase in Afghanistan.

Well done Bob! You’ve finally managed to work that out.

The only time we should be running with this level of forces is when we have fully committed to the war and are not dithering about waiting for other countries to make up their minds what strategy we are going to take, until then we are just wasting our time and our armed forces lives.

If we fully commit then we can run “hot” for a while as long as we are making our set objectives. If we are expecting any other country to provide extra forces, apart from the US, then we will be waiting along time.

Bob Ainsworth: Government pushed military ‘too hard’ – Telegraph.

Categories: AfghanistanTags: Afghanistan, Ainsworth, troop levels
Ainsworth: towards the next Strategic Defence Review.
September 16th, 2009fitaloon2 comments
Bob Ainsworth gave a speech to the Centre for Defence Studies and the War Studies Department at King’s College London on Tuesday 15 September 09. In it he spoke about the defence review that he is launching to take place early in the next Parliament and he will publish a Defence Green Paper early next year. This will set out the Government’s thinking on the key issues facing defence, suggest the key questions to be resolved in the full review, and invite reactions from the public.

When I read the speech it seems all very good with it’s emphasis on Operations in Afghanistan and the preparation of our forces for the future, but when you look at it any detail you realise that it is a real sham and totally small-minded, it speaks of our Island nation and climate change and mentions Clausewitz, it hopes the Conservatives and Lib Dems will participate in the spirit in which the offer was made, it says it cannot exclude major shifts in the way we use our defence spending to refocus on our priorities. It as if Ainsworth thinks all the problems can be solved by the Strategic Review.

All the review will do will be to point us in a direction, right or wrong for the more distant future. The problem is that our future depends on what is happening now, and with the way things are going we are staring defeat in the face in Afghanistan if we can’t react quickly and change the nature of the war.

If we are defeated, either by the Taliban or public opinion, then the Strategic review will not be worth paper it is written on, as the defeat will be game-changer for many years.

We need the review but priority must be the war in Afghanistan and some kind of Victory that leaves us able to think about what comes next.

To win this war we need leadership and a steady hand at the helm, currently we don’t have this and we require this as soon as possible. This tired government is hobbled by it’s stumbling and deficient leader aided by his lacklustre ministers. A change is required to provide the leadership and support our Armed Forces deserve.

Ministry of Defence | About Defence | People | Speeches | Secretary of State Speeches | 2009/09/15 – Fitting Defence for the Future: towards the next Strategic Defence Review..

Categories: Afghanistan, Bob AinsworthTags: Afghanistan, Ainsworth, Strategic Review
“Busta Gut” Ainsworth’s lack of support for Soldiers
August 30th, 2009fitaloonNo comments
Lickspittle Bob “Busta Gut” Ainsworth has yet again shown the disdain he holds for soldiers in two stories over the weekend. Both of them involve the deaths of solders but in completely different circumstances.

The first is of the sad death of James Philippson who was serving in the 7th Parachute Regiment, Royal Horse Artillery, and was part of a quick reaction force dispatched to assist another group of soldiers who were under fire and had a serious casualty. They had been sent to retrieve an unmanned spy plane near their base in Sangin on June 11, 2006.

Philippson was hit in the temple by a bullet. Surviving colleagues said there were only three or four night-vision kits between as many as 40 men. They also lacked Minimi machineguns and under-slung grenade launchers, leaving them “totally outgunned” as they faced Taliban forces armed with multiple rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

At the inquest into Philippson’s death, Andrew Walker, then the assistant coroner for Oxfordshire, said:

“They [the soldiers] were defeated not by the terrorists but by the lack of basic equipment. To send soldiers into a combat zone without basic equipment is unforgivable, inexcusable and a breach of trust between the soldiers and those who govern them.”

The MoD admitted that an “administrative error” had led to a 25-day delay in getting equipment to the front line.

However, in an interview just hours after the inquest, Ainsworth, then the armed forces minister, attempted to shift the blame onto Bristow. He said while there had been a shortage of equipment, a military board of inquiry had also found there were a

“lack of standard procedures and tactical errors too”.

Ainsworth neglected to mention that the inquiry, which pre-dated the inquest, also criticised ministers and their failure to commit sufficient troops and equipment to Afghanistan.

The story is highlighted in the Times here. It concludes with the following which I can only wholeheartedly endorse

Tony Philippson said:

“Bob Ainsworth is not fit to be secretary of state and lead the armed forces. Blaming a commanding officer for the MoD’s failings is outrageous. He should resign his post with immediate effect.”

The second story over the weekend is highlighted in the Mail by this story which starts

Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth has been criticised by the father of a dead soldier for the second time in a week after being accused of sending ‘rude, dismissive and insensitive’ letters.

According to the Mail

Mr James, who is unhappy with the official report into the death, received one letter which said: ‘I can see no point in meeting to discuss this matter.’

In another, Mr James is told that ‘no further purpose will be served by continuing this correspondence’.

But after being approached by The Mail on Sunday, Mr Ainsworth agreed to meet Mr James.

As usual Ainsworth has made a bad situation worse by his inability to deal with what are very normal concerns in a proper way.

Bob Ainsworth in ‘cover-up’ over soldier’s death – Times Online.

blaireau
2nd Nov 2009, 13:17
In the Wilson era, there was a movement favouring impeachment of the Air Council for dereliction of duty, and additionally charging PM Wilson with treason.

Roland Pulfrew
2nd Nov 2009, 13:57
I was going to put this link on the Nimrod topic, but to be honest it is appropriate in any number of current topics (and the Nimrod thread now seems to descending into the realms of conspiracy theory). It seems Defence is not the only part of the machine of state that is suffering and this seems to rightly identify many of the reasons "we" are failing. It is worth a read.....

Lights are going out at the Foreign Office - Telegraph mobile (http://m.telegraph.co.uk/article/6483972)

I have to say, that until we legislate to stop the rise of the "professional" politician, we will get what we deserve. Younger and younger MPs, with no experience of leadership, and by that I mean leadership in a real world occupation, be it commerce, military, law etc, no life experience and liitle or no common sense. People who are driven by lobbyists and pressure groups rather than by doing the right thing and not by what the latest bunch of very expensive external consultants preach.

Cows getting bigger
2nd Nov 2009, 13:59
I remember being a rather junior staff officer when the Labour initiated SDR was published. At the time we felt the nu-Labour approach was quite refreshing - for once we had a defined set of criteria we were required to meet (1xLS, 2xMS or 1xMS and 4x SS). Unfortunately the 'rule book' was quickly thrown out of the window with the various continued Balkan and Middle East ops. ISTR that 9/11 brought a new chapter to SDR but I don't recollect anyone ever comparing the SDR requirements against either the enforced changes in capability (cost savings) or indeed actual level of operational commitment.

Maybe someone should dust-off the document and see whether it still has any relevance.

minigundiplomat
2nd Nov 2009, 16:38
If the FCO is being wound down,it is probably to make way for the new EU foreign policy and foreign secretary.

Squirrel 41
2nd Nov 2009, 19:25
CBG

The 1998 document is very interesting - I searched out a copy the other day. It was from a brave new world pre-Kosovo (1999), pre-Sierra Leone (2000) and a long time pre-9/11, let alone TELIC. It is, in short, ancient history. But it is damaging ancient history as it continues to set the bounds of what was to be purchased (2 x CVF, 12 x T45, 32 FF/DD, 10-12 SSN, 21 x MRA4, 232 EF2000, FSTA, 67 WAH-64, etc etc) when we could probably not have afforded them then, let alone now.

The real question is not whether the planning assumptions were right or wrong; the real question is if there were additional unfunded costs, why didn't someone say "stop"?

S41

Cows getting bigger
2nd Nov 2009, 19:36
Squirrel, I agree; SDR was an attempt to define the 'price' of Defence. Who was monitoring that? :bored:

minigundiplomat
2nd Nov 2009, 21:37
Squirrel,

Speaking from the light blue corner (with no particular axe to grind), Apache (or WAH-64) was a blinding purchase.

As for the others, I don't know enough about them. But the troops on the ground would quite happily give all the Type-42's/MBT's/Typhoons in China for the Apache.

hoodie
2nd Nov 2009, 21:47
Speaking from the light blue corner (with no particular axe to grind), Apache (or WAH-64) was a blinding purchase.

Quite so, but it's not at all what the Proon Generals (or Air Marshals etc) said - loudly and often - at the time.

Still, this is hardly the thread for THAT conversation.

Squirrel 41
2nd Nov 2009, 22:32
MGD,

I don't disagree - the point is that the SDR was allegedly a policy-led review which happened to endorse the pet projects of the brass-hats. I've got no problem with Apache at all.

S41

minigundiplomat
3rd Nov 2009, 14:40
Squirrel,

fair enough. I was just chipping in...as you do.

MGD

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
3rd Nov 2009, 16:02
But the troops on the ground would quite happily give all the Type-42's/MBT's/Typhoons in China for the Apache.

Regrettably, it’s not just the “troops on the ground”. Nearly all the starred rank chaps in brown suits seem to have a similar outlook. Still, I expect it’s not easy seeing the “big picture” from a trench.

The Apache is, indeed, brilliant at what it does but the total National interest does not hinge on that capability.

Epsilon minus
9th Nov 2009, 07:48
T. B. Bechtel, a City Councillor from Newcastle , Australia , was asked on a
local live radio talk show, just what he thought about the allegations of
torture of suspected terrorists.? His reply prompted his ejection from the
studio, but to thunderous applause from the audience.

HIS STATEMENT:
"If hooking up one raghead terrorist prisoner's testicles to a car battery
to get the truth out of the lying little camelsh***er will save just one
Australian life, then I have only three things to say: Red is
positive, Black is negative, and make sure his nuts are wet."

“Red is positive, black is negative and make sure his nuts are wet” – Daily Telegraph Blogs (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/9192828/red_is_positive_black_is_negative_and_make_sure_his_nuts_are _wet_/)

The White Warrior
9th Nov 2009, 08:22
Another internet viral that becomes truth because of it's 'out there'. Five minutes research has come up with the following;

T B Bechtol is not a councillor in Australia. He has also been said to be a councillor in Midland, Tx (USA), which he is not. He has not been elected to any role or public office. He is, rather, a comedian. T 'Bubba' Bechtol is the self styled President & CEO of The Bubba Club, "preserving the Bubba Lifestyle worldwide". A southern USA comedian with particular views which you may or may not agree with.

Just thought I'd clarify that with the intention of maintaining a sense of proportion and perspective.

Epsilon minus
9th Nov 2009, 08:49
Of course you are correct and no one here would seriously believe that a politician would utter such a diatribe. So for pointing out the bleeding obvious we are grateful to you.
What I am more interested in, from a military persons perspective, is if anyone agrees with the sentiment.
Kind regards.
EM

sisemen
9th Nov 2009, 10:49
Everyone seems to forget that speeches and policy start from a vague directive from the top, become more complicated as they work down and are finally given to a staff officer to complete the first draft.

It then starts its return journey. Each succeeding rank level makes it changes to ensure that both their personal opinions are included and also that of their bosses to ensure that they are looked on favourably at ACR/gong time.

The end result is a policy/speech where the Minister declares "By Golly, that's exactly what I was thinking!"

And people on PPRuNe are surprised???

You can't blame the Minister; you can't blame the Very Senior Officers and you can't blame the Staff Officers. However, each and every one of them is to blame - including the "good mates" when they were on the squadron.

So, to all those VSOs and SOs I would suggest that you go home tonight and have a really, really, really good hard think about where you fit in the bigger picture.

And don't come on here tomorrow under the cloak of your nom de plume and cast aspersions on all and sundry - it's your fault :ugh:

Epsilon minus
9th Nov 2009, 11:54
I wont pretend to understand what it is you are talking about and what relevance it has to the question as to whether a profound lack of leadership of the government and the ministry of defence should make senior military officers consider a coup as they did in the Wilson government days. But thank you for your contribution anyway. By the way, why do you not think it is the ministers fault?
Please have a look at the video to see what one officer in the RAF thinks about the current situation.
RAF Blonde Bombshell Mocks Gordon Brown’s Leadership (http://order-order.com/2009/10/02/raf-blonde-bombshell-mocks-gordon-browns-leadership/)

sisemen
9th Nov 2009, 14:22
Epsilon - perhaps you have got me wrong. I hold no brief for Broon or Ainsworth - both are prime candidates for the tumbril as is the rest of the raggedy mob.

However, I speak as an ex staff officer knowing how the system works. It behoves everyone in the chain to tell it like it is - not brown nose and then make snide remarks behind the cover of anonymity.

It is perhaps even more incumbent on the very senior officers to make it clear to their staffs that they expect honesty in the staff work presented to them rather than the 'party line'. Perhaps then we won't have to wait until after the award of a peerage to get the truth.

Navaleye
9th Nov 2009, 14:51
Good on yer mate!

charliegolf
9th Nov 2009, 17:58
military chiefs considered a coup d'etat.

Treason, not good except in tinpot dictatorships. Not yet!

Time to reconsider I think

Incitement to treason. Better, 'cos only you go to jail.

CG

Modern Elmo
10th Nov 2009, 02:54
Treason, not good except in tinpot dictatorships. Not yet!

Was Oliver C. a traitor?

L J R
10th Nov 2009, 03:19
Spoke to the 'man in Question' in the 'Stan earlier this year - He struck me as an uninformed flounderer...

..thanks Zetec . ........(doh!)

cazatou
10th Nov 2009, 07:31
Modern Elmo

Oliver C was not a Traitor for one very simple reason:-

He Won

Epsilon minus
10th Nov 2009, 09:37
Treason eh! I think not; this is a healthy debate in a democratic society. Mark you President Blair has done his uptmost to deprive us all of the full liberties of the democratic process.
Treason you say! What about the Islamic extremists that conspire and have conspired to blow apart our nation not to mention our soldiers in and outside of our country? What about those that tried to commit mass murder over the North Atlantic - all British citizens.
What about the failure of the present administration to provide the equipment needed to win the war in Afghanistan - helicopters , modern and reliable airborne surveillance platforms, more troops (not the begrudging 500 that GB gave), better armoured vehicles (American ones can withstand the blast of a 500lb IED)?
What about the attitude of the PM to defence? It is now a junior cabinet role. Brown refers to you as "those bastards in the military" and Ainsworth says he is fed up with "your whinging".
Why did my son have to walk the entire length of the Pennine Way to raise money on a charitable basis for our wounded soldiers (he raised £405). Is it possible for a government to show less regard for the 3 services?
Why is there no war cabinet? Why do we not get regular briefings from the MOD as to our progress in the war in Afghanistan, they did an excellent job of it in the Falklands war!
But you senior officers, when considering the pros and cons, consider who will replace Brown and his ineffective administration and will the replacements be any better?
Doubt it.
Kind regards.
EM

charliegolf
10th Nov 2009, 11:51
Epsi: answer a simple question.

Does anything in your last post warrant a coup?

CG

zetec2
10th Nov 2009, 12:58
Re LJR's post above:
"Spoke to the 'man in Question' in the 'Stan earlier this year - He struck me as an uniformed flounderer"

Shouldn't this read: UNINFORMED ?.

PH.