PDA

View Full Version : A Helping Hand...

SuperJet
2nd Nov 2009, 12:06
Greetings all.

It would appear that I am (potentially) happily destined to join the Hallowed Brethren of Freight Dogs!

What I would really appreciate is a bit of an un-biased low-down on what it is to be employed as Air Crew with DHL (out of, most likely, Belgium)?

Please bring all commentary and viewpoints on and part of this theme! I really could do with some inside input?

Thank you all, fly safe and keep the skies friendly! :D

SJ

Sam Crow
3rd Nov 2009, 20:46
unlikely to get a Belgium base as EAT Belguim is about to become Eat Germany. Flying is good fun, and if you don't mind being based in LEJ, its generally a good job. There are those that don't like it, for one reason or another, beligerant management, LEJ is difficult to get to etc etc, but if you like night flying its an ok job. I believe EAT are short of 757 drivers don't know if they are recruiting as they have just let a bunch of drivers go. If you are Europe based then EAT pay better than DHK, have better allowances and leather jackets (very cool).

MrIkea
4th Nov 2009, 07:17
Just out of intrest , did You apply for a job with DHL UK or EAT ? And recently ?

Or were You allready on a waiting list with one of the two companies ?

And as mentioned before, it will be 100% LEJ-based. In both cases. But You won't be alone over there...
And I agree with Sam...

SuperJet
4th Nov 2009, 09:14
Thanks for the above comments everyone! I am getting a better picture here. :O

I know that, under the DHL Corporate banner, a recruitment drive occurred last month for a bit, but seems to have stopped now. There was no mention of the type intended, be it A300 or B757. But, it did mention based in Brussles. However, I am hearing Leipzig a lot more since then.

I have no idea what the fleet preferences are for the future. I know the A300 and B757 are the workhorses, but is one on the way out? Is there a link between base and aircraft flown?

The attraction to me is that for an initial entry, albeit notarised as "Ab Initio" or "Cadet", the requirement is sensible, in my view, vis a vis other commercial operators - PPL/CPL/ME/IR/MCC. Clearly, the silver-bullet of bringing a type rating to the table is spared those "cadets", and that is the main attraction for me.

Just to clarify, I haven't been offered anything, nor did I apply, but I am certain that this will be the way forward for me. As yet, I do not satisfy the minimum requirements, but forewarned is forearmed as they say, so please, keep the comments and info coming in, and thanks again to those who already have! Any specifics and details would be most welcome too! :ok:

SJ

SuperJet
4th Nov 2009, 09:18
Hi Sam,

Thank you for your reply on here.

Quick question, if you don't mind. Are you currently flying with DHL/EAT? On which fleet? Based where...?

I am genuinely interested in DHL/EAT, and whilst enthusiastic to a fault, I am also shamelessly trying to get the real insider feel, warts and all, in total confidence, so I know where I stand in the future.

I have been in aviation, non-flying, for 8 years now, and so know there is a lurking void between the official outlook on a company, and the reality of its inner workings. :sad:

Anyway, thanks again, I hope I can hear back from you soon! :D

Cheers!

SJ

MrIkea
4th Nov 2009, 11:30
Well, for starters you will have to wait a bit till the recession is over. I think we will have a decent idea about this after the winter season. When all those government support programs stop.

At the moment the B757 is the workhorse. Used to be the A300... That one will be replaced after 2012 or something like that. As they already went from 18 to 10 A300's this year.

Considering the change of network structure I personally think we will go more to a bigger fleet/smaller aircraft situation. For employment that will be better I guess...
(One major hub operation)

One thing is for sure, the future of DHL europe is Leipzig. And I think to a lesser extend EMA... If god forbid they don't close that one down...

Anyway, if more questions, just shoot...

(Edit : typo)

SuperJet
4th Nov 2009, 14:49
Thanks for that Mr Ikea.

So, I am surmising that DHLs mainstay for the future will be a 757 fleet complimented with more of the same, or perhaps smaller airframes. I will keep an eye out. :ouch:

I wondered if anyone had any contributions concerning the day-to-day issues, like, what are the rosters like? How is the endless anti-social flying hours? Benefits of being under the Deutshepost umbrella? Promotional structure? Opportunities? Are crew actually happy? :rolleyes:

I know these are in some fashions, quite generalised comments I am asking for, and not everyone will have the same viewpoint, but I am aiming at getting a discussion going...

Thank to all again!! :D

SJ