PDA

View Full Version : Delta or Continental for MAN to US

Espada III
2nd Nov 2009, 08:26
Thinking of going to California and NY next summer from Manchester. Likely route is MAN - LAX; SFO - New York; New York - MAN.

Two main options. Cheapest is Continental via Newark in both directions but the MAN-LAX sector is a 17 hour trip with a 3 hours layover. Delta do a code share with Air France with MAN -LAX only 14 hours, and the return leg via JFK. The other two sectors of the route are similarly timed. Delta is about £250 pp more expensive. Is this a no brainer for Continental?

I haven't flown to the US for ten years and that was with BA, so thoughts on airline choice and advice (especially about Visa requirements and car rental in CA) gratefully received.

Avman
2nd Nov 2009, 08:41
Personally, I'd go for CO because they have a better reputation.

lexxity
2nd Nov 2009, 09:49
Delta stop their JFK in January and then AA pick it up for the Summer. I don't think AA are going daily though.

shobakker
2nd Nov 2009, 11:01
CO are the better option - excellent service from MAN :ok:

Espada III
2nd Nov 2009, 12:20
Thanks

Its good to get some feedback, especially if the saving for a family of five will be £1,250.

Ancient Observer
2nd Nov 2009, 14:39
Wife flew Co to TX a couple of weeks ago. Full of praise for them. Including "much better than BA"
I used to refuse to fly with them as they were so awful, but that was 7 years ago.....

Avman
2nd Nov 2009, 15:17
I believe that for the past 5 years or so CO have been considered the best of all the US carriers. Only used them once myself and I was more than satisfied.

MathFox
2nd Nov 2009, 17:11
There is not much difference in quality between the big US airlines, I generally pick one based on price and schedule.

It is good to plan on having a 3 hours connection time when entering the US; passing immigration and customs may take quite some time due to bureaucracy and queues.

Espada III
3rd Nov 2009, 13:09
Ah good thinking MathFox! - hadn't considered that or the consequential point of arriving at LAX in the domestic terminal at about midnight UK time with three young children.

What do I need to do about visas etc? Isn't there some website you have to go to to be allowed entry into the US?

Johnny F@rt Pants
3rd Nov 2009, 13:29
Continental, Continental, Continental.

US visa waiver form needs to be completed on-board the flight to the 1st ort of entry into the US. ESTA form needs to be completed at least 3 days prior to departure, and should be completed via the US Embassy website. DON'T PAY FOR IT, there are agencies that charge a fee for this, they're a scam apparently, below is a copy of an e-mail that I recieved recently:

Important Notice to ESTA Applicants:

Have you paid for ESTA? If so, you have been victimized by a fraudulent ESTA. Please review the DHS warning: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/esta_advisory.ctt/esta_advisory.pdf. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not work with any private websites to help file ESTA applications. ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) is a FREE application and it is available only at the official .GOV website: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

The following actions are required:

1. Dispute the charge with your bank or credit card company
2. Apply yourself at the official ESTA website

REFUND: You are entitled to a full refund by contacting your bank or credit card company. You should explain to your credit card company that you are a victim of fraud, as you have paid an impostor government website. If you have paid a fee to submit your ESTA application you are a victim of fraud and possible identity theft, as the individuals who operate the fraudulent ESTA website have your passport information, full name, date of birth, address and full credit card information. There is no way of knowing what they will do with this information.

To learn more about this scam, search online for "ESTA Fraud" or "ESTA Scam”. You will find several articles exposing this scam. The BBC made a report recently about fraudulent ESTA websites operating out of Korea and defrauding applicants from all over the world. You can watch the video at: BBC News Player - fast:track: looking at US entry requirements (http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_8290000/newsid_8293700/8293707.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&nol_storyid=8293707&bbcws=1)

*** U.S. Consumer Protection Services ***
Unsubscribe