PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod Questions

Gainesy
3rd Jul 2001, 13:38
I have been asked to write a feature on the Nimrod and while there is plenty of material available, I would like to liven it up a bit more than the usual "Will it fit your hangar" type of thing.
One way that works is to have operators list in their opinion, the aircraft's three best and three worst points. So, if any Nimrod mates would like to either Email me or post their thoughts (on the Nimrod) here, I would be grateful for your help.
Many thanks,
Gainesy

cyclops
3rd Jul 2001, 16:44
Somebody might enlighten you (and me) as to what happened to the pinkish/gold paint job on the Nimrod at Lossie? or the other Scottish power base.

BEagle
4th Jul 2001, 00:24
I am told the 'Flying $hite' went and hid at St Mawgan until Someone noticed it. "What the f*ck is that Nimrod painted that colour for?" quoth He. "It was a mistake" said Nervous-of-Newquay. "Clearly. Get it re-painted" said The Man. And lo, it was. For verily, in those parts was the AOC's word law.

Apparently when the paint job (supposed to be 'hemp') was ordered, someone queried the section reference for the paint. "Are you sure, Sir", asked the Chief, "for indeed 'tis a most strange colour". "Do as you're told, airman, I'm a Sqn Ldr and I know about this trial. Just paint it!" came the reply.

So they did. "Maybe it'll change colour when it's dry, Sir", said the helpful Chief as the Sqn-Ldr-who-knew-about-paint looked in horror at the dog $hit coloured Nimrod before him. But it didn't - well, not until the AOC saw it many years later!!

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 03 July 2001).]

madcat666
4th Jul 2001, 00:41
Is it true that the Nimrod has very small windows so the crew cannot look outside and get depressed by seeing how ugly their airplane is??
I guess the colour hemp was chosen to calm the crew down after they found out they not only had to work with 2 Navs, but an AEO as well. Does it work?
I love these old warbirds, are there any left flying?

ROGERTHAT
4th Jul 2001, 22:43
M/C. Too many for my liking. Three best things 1. 13 crew equals instant party anywhere in the world. 2. A galley and a sh*ter. 3. Ugly but well endowed. Three worst 1. Kinloss 2.Kinloss 3.no one thinking you still exist. cant tell anyone what we really do. no press coverage in sar incedents. no-one high up who gives a sh*t about us. People saying "isnt that the one with the funny nose/mushroom".(NO FOR F*CKS SAKE NO). Loadies going "blip" when the haven`t got a clue what their talking about. P.S I think in the right light she is kinda cute grrrrrrrrrrrr.

------------------
who`s wife do i have to sleep with to get out of this outfit?

[This message has been edited by ROGERTHAT (edited 04 July 2001).]

OscarCOG
4th Jul 2001, 23:42
Did you know that if someone calls you a Nimrod in the good old Usa it means they think you are a ********. Now that cannot be a coincidence!

Larrikin
5th Jul 2001, 01:33
Some of the replies to this thread have been rather rude, in fact verging on cruel. I hope that you are all aware how sensitive we are on the Nimrod fleet and will temper your views accordingly, NOT!!
Gainesy - pay no heed to these scoundrels. Email on its way!

Regards, L

FE Hoppy
5th Jul 2001, 09:14
BEST.
1 that bit of clear plastic with scratch marks pretending to be a weapon sight.(dont remember if it was for the 9Ls or something else)
2 the gyro stab bins(switch it on give it a knock and stick it in your lap)
3 I'm not on them anymore....
3a that little grill on the side of the bog for watching blue peter bird getting changed....he he he
Worst
1 Kinloss
2 Kinloss
3 Kinloss

I do keep a piccie of them in my nav bag to give my mates a laugh in the middle of another flight across the pond. Usually with the comment " ah 30 west spent a bit of time down there"

[This message has been edited by FE Hoppy (edited 05 July 2001).]

Charlie Luncher
5th Jul 2001, 11:40
3 Worst

1. Refuelling Probe.
2. Two navigators.
3. Buckie wives(dont ask).
3a. Kinloss(see 3)

3 Best

1. Having F3s askingus to descend/slow down and show modes n codes so they can intercept.
2. Being more popular than dynarod on the US airshow tour.
3. 13 is a better party than 2(especially when your with the womens national water polo team of Australia GRRRRRR).

I have the photos to prove all statements above but the Blue Peter girl didnt allow the photos to be printed, anyhow she has gone past her best now.

Charlie sends

Gainesy
5th Jul 2001, 12:48
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.
May be of interest.
When they first produced the Nimrod, they took out a 6ft fuselage plug from the Comet 4, ahead of the wing. This was to aid directional stability (got that right then).

A few years ago I was briefed on Nimrod 202?
and I asked if, now the aircraft had grown all these finlets and vortex generators etc, if they were considering adding back the 6ft of missing fuselage ahead of the wing. Blank looks all round. Appears that the then Hawker Siddely mates that did it had all retired/died and no-one knew WTF I was talking about.(Not uncommon).

Now to wind BEagle up.
Would it (Mk4) make a good tanker? I understand that they could build some more aiframes, this was mentioned as a possibility for the Jap P-3 replacement.

Descend to What Height?!?
5th Jul 2001, 12:56
Gainsey
wild stories are indeed going about on an airfield in North Cheshire, that complete new build Nimrods may be destined for Jap and perhaps across the pond!
Uncle Sam with Commets in the USN, no never happen!!!!
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
;-) It looked like a good idea at the time :-)

Gainesy
5th Jul 2001, 16:54
Hoppy,
Forgot to add to post above.
The sight thing was added in Falklands punch up so they could use 1,000lb bombs (where or on what I dunno). Story goes that Ice Station Kilo's SENGO sent a Chief Tech. down to AAEE at Boscombe to collect the prototype & see how it was fitted.

Chiefy calls SENGO: " Collected said bit"
SENGO: "Is it analogue or digital?"
Chiefy: " Its a bit of Perspex wi' lines scratched on it".

Gainesy
5th Jul 2001, 17:02
DTWH?
Yep, not so much a rebuild pgm as they made out to get the contract is it? Bit like "Through-Deck Cruisers"?

BEagle
5th Jul 2001, 21:04
Gainesy - the tanker possibility was looked at after the last Nimrod fiasco (AEW3). As it's only a little Comet really, there is no point in wasting money on a tanker development.

Now as a Link 16 platform with a few Fighter Confusers in the back..........

ragspanner
6th Jul 2001, 01:07
Tried 1000lb iron bombs on it at Boscombe during Falklands debacle,really you could stick just about anything in that flare bay !. It was the only thing that had the legs besides the Vulcan, so they gave it a try !

Gainesy
7th Jul 2001, 10:44
Rags,
I understand that they also had a go at fitting Paveway but it was a smidgin too big. Were you there at the time?

madcat666
8th Jul 2001, 09:35
Did the Nimrod get the nickname "flying dogturd", because:
a. That is what it looks like? or
b. That is what was tested in the windtunnels and how the design came about?
Always found something kinky about its cruise mach No. though!!! Or was that the chicken curry stains on the seat cover?
Keep that Bouy in D807 safe for me fellas.
Madcat

ragspanner
9th Jul 2001, 01:07
Gainsey,
I was based at RAF St Mawgan at the time ,Nimrod Line Flight.I believe the Sidewinders (fitted on the old Martel hardpoints)were fitted after some 'gesturing' sessions between Nimrod & Argentine Electras & 707's.
Cheers
Rags.
P.S. The gash 2 ring plastic sight on top of the inst' panel was for the 9L's.The 2 sheets of perspex ,one behind the other gave a visual representation of the missile aquisition cone,couple of coloured rings on each sheet.

[ 08 July 2001: Message edited by: ragspanner ]

Gainesy
9th Jul 2001, 11:44
Rags, Interseting, I didn't know about the 9L sight lash up. Anybody got any pictures of it. Also, did they test fire the 9Ls at any time?

sprucemoose
9th Jul 2001, 12:40
Does anyone know where I can find a public domain (can be news agency) photo of the R1 sitting atop Moray Firth on 16 May '95? Best I can do at the moment is one of a slightly mangled front section!

Dimmer Switch
9th Jul 2001, 21:47
Gainesy,

There are a couple of small B&W pics of the sight in John Chartres' book "BAe Nimrod", number 24 in Ian Allen's Modern Combat Aircraft series (IBSN 0-7110-1575-9) (How sad am I !!!)

The AIM-9 was test fired. I've got a couple of v.v.grainy telemetry photos of said launch, and I'll look into whether or not I can send you copies (i.e. are they public domain).

Moosey - same situation - I might be able to get the pics you're after; I'll look into getting 'em to you and let you know

Charlie Luncher
10th Jul 2001, 13:58
Gainsey

Just curious for whom and for why are you writing about the Mighty Kipper?

Charlie sends

Gainesy
10th Jul 2001, 14:50
Dimmer,
Thanks mate, I've seen the perspex "Barnes Wallis" bomb sight, I wasn't too clear there, I meant the two colour AIM-9 sight that Rags was talking about-sounds like its one up from a chinagraph cross on the windscreen-still if it works...

Charlie, its for the next edition of Jets which is out in September. Why? Dunno really, only a/c we have with a decent warload? :D

BTW, anybody know where I can get the Fincastle results over the last 25-odd years? I'd like to see how many times Nimrod crews won it.

Sideshow Bob
10th Jul 2001, 16:28
Sprucemoose Try looking for pictures at http://www.raf.picture-library.com/ . It's free you just have to register.

Gainesy. Have you tried the Press Relaisions Officer at Kinloss I'm sure she'll be willing to help you.

Dimmer Switch
10th Jul 2001, 19:19
Gainesy,

Sorry to harp on, but if memory serves, the Sidewinder pointing device was part of the same structure as the bomb sight. The bomb bit was a large lump of perspex with horizontal lines on it, and the sidewinder bits were 2 little bits of perspex sticking out from the side with rings on ‘em. I am, however, of an age where memory may be playing tricks. Can Rags confirm/deny?

DS
:confused:

Gainesy
10th Jul 2001, 22:51
DS
Ahah, on closer examination of the pic I've got, the rings are just visible, I thought that from Rag's posting that the 9L sight was a different bit of kit altogether. Why don't they just launch on tone? :confused:

Dimmer Switch
10th Jul 2001, 23:46
If we had ever got into a position to use the damned things, the pointy end chaps would never have been able to hear a tone because of all the screaming and crying from us mission sorts down the back!!!

Like I said earlier, don't take what I've said as gospel - I can barely remember what I did yesterday, never mind what happened more than eleventeen years ago!

Gainesy
11th Jul 2001, 12:42
Dimmer,
Yesterday you posted a book reference, well, day before now ;)

Dimmer Switch
11th Jul 2001, 23:10
Sorry, were you speaking to me? Who am I? Isn't this another thread?! Aaargh!

pitotheat
11th Jul 2001, 23:54
Gainesy
The sidewinder mod did not include the wiring for the tone so the missiles had to be launched using the sight and luck.

FishHead
13th Jul 2001, 05:27
Gainesy,

Here's two links for Fincastle results:

From the RAAF... for 1961-1969 and 1982-2001... http://203.6.115.8/raaf/mpg/Fincastle2001/previous_w inners.htm (http://203.6.115.8/raaf/mpg/Fincastle2001/previous_winners.htm)

And the RAF... for 1971 - 2001 http://www.kinloss.raf.mod.uk/newsfile/fincwins.htm

Don't know what happened in 1970?? :confused:
And in 2000 no competition was held...

Looks like out of the 39 competition results since 1961, the RAF took it out 12 times, and were joint winners once with the RAAF in 1975

Out of interest, the other countries scores (much as I hate to say it) are:
RAAF - 10 wins plus 2 joint
K1W1s - 8 wins
Canucks - 7 wins plus 1 joint

So I guess the Poms can beat the Aussies at something after all!

;)

[ 13 July 2001: Message edited by: FishHead ]

Gainesy
13th Jul 2001, 14:12
FishHead,
Many thanks, I'd already found a site but most of the mid-to-late '60s results were not on it.
Now, about the Ashes... :D

Charlie Luncher
15th Jul 2001, 23:55
I may have them at the office will cx and get back to you some time next week.

Do you want total wins or each year?

Charlie sends

Gainesy
16th Jul 2001, 11:51
Charlie,
Need 1970 to 1981 inclusive if you have them, just the winners as space is a bit tight.

Also any anecdotes tall/war stories anybody?
How about the 1v0 with the decoy? What happened there then?
Cheers
Gainesy

Low and Slow
16th Jul 2001, 12:13
Nimrod AIM-9L.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it AVM Sir John Curtis who ordered the fitting of AIM-9L's to Nimrods during Op Corporate. I understand it came from an encounter between a Nimrod and an Armada 707 operating in the recce role.

Dimmer Switch
16th Jul 2001, 21:50
L&S,

Don't know about the individual who issued the order, but the circumstances that led to the sidewinder fit were exactly as you describe.

Gainsey & Sprucemoose,

Still no joy on getting "clearance" for those pics - still working on it - will let you know.

Gainesy
17th Jul 2001, 00:10
Dimmer,
Snagless.
Gainesy

Charlie Luncher
20th Jul 2001, 23:41
Sorry for the delay little dude but work keeps getting in the way.

71 CAF tied with RAAF
72 RAAF
73 RAF
74 RAF
75 RAAF tied with RAF
76 RAF
77 RAF
78 RAAF
79 RAAF
80 RNZAF
81 CAF

Charlie sends

covec
25th Jul 2001, 02:42
Gainesy

Norman did a good job out in the Gulf, both before and during the conflict. All 4 Nimrod Sqns. took part, the 4 crews resident in the Gulf at the time of "Desert Storm" accounting for some 20 "assists", I believe, i.e. vectoring attack acft in using various sensor information. Quite a thing to see the end result in the papers the next day - Iraqi crewmen climbing aboard US warship as they were rescued.

Prior to the decoy incident, 1 crew was chased by a confirmed hostile - seen on ESM and radar. HMS Cardiff needed the MPA to scram south in order to get a lock. The hostile scrammed North pretty quick, and Norman took up station again.

The decoy incident occurred the next sortie:

Captain ..Nav..Fighter.. 6 o'clock, close in!

**** ! Off the Nimrod went, all good Fighter affil stuff, but to no avail.

Nav..First pilot..what exactly does this fighter look like?

It's a small wingless acft, still on our tail!

That is the TRD you ********~~###!!!

Another sortie saw a Nimrod come back stressed due to CBs - couldn't get out of the wxer due to inbound attack packages.

Sobering stuff with no 'chutes - but probably boring stuff to what the FJ and SH mates did.

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: covec ]

covec
25th Jul 2001, 10:30
PS Gainesy

Crew 2 of 42(TB)[Torpedo Bomber] received the Arthur Barrett Memorial Trophy for their Gulf exploits - no mean feat when you consider what the GR lads were going through.......

covec
26th Jul 2001, 22:09
PPS Gainesy

Perhaps some of the other Nimrod guys might shed some light on why they dropped chaff n flares on Muscat airport, and why they "got rid off" the TRD?

Gericault
28th Jul 2001, 16:56
Gainsey, do you ever do any of your own work? This journalism bit seems easy to me! Still your articles are much better than your straight and level attempts through the Daventry corridor in the T-bird if my memory serves me! When you coming to France? :)

Gainesy
29th Jul 2001, 19:57
Bonjour Colonel Rosbif,
:D
Comment ca va? Non Je ne travais pas trop 'kin fort parcque ils ons beaucoup des mates qui'll connais les consignes d'utilisation du le sac de cloux.
Mes bon regards en la belle C. et Le Tosh.
Gainesy :rolleyes:
PS I was jinking

[ 29 July 2001: Message edited by: Gainesy ]

Gainesy
30th Jul 2001, 12:45
Covec,
Thanks for all that, were you out there at the time? Can anyone expand on these tales?
Cheers
Gainesy