PDA

View Full Version : Guy looking for a job with Aid Agencies

albertaboy
1st Nov 2009, 00:33
Hi there
I am just curious about any aid organizations that need a pilot (if this even exists at all). I suspect that most aid agencies charter aircraft and pilots wherever they need them but thought I would throw it out there. I was also wondering about the UN, but suspect they use military aircraft equipped with their own pilots. I will have 1500 PIC SE (float and bush time) with MIFR when I would be ready to make the move. Like I said, I am not too sure how realistic flying in a developing countrie delivering aid is, but hey, it wasn't all that realistic hoping to become a bush pilot but here I am, so why not keep the dream going!?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
P.S. I am not a bible thumper, and couldn't pretend to be one (so no MAF for me)

WDaron
1st Nov 2009, 04:06
Hey Albertaboy,

Nice thoughts.

Unfortunately it just doesn't exist like that anymore, for the most part.

Most aid agencies including the UN contract them from South African or other operators, who specialize in that kind of work.

At the extreme low end of the totem pole, you will find some faith-based religious organizations who fly C206s or C210s. Some like MAF require you to be along the same lines religiously as them, and in fact bible/prayer/preaching sessions will be a big part of your experience with them, as it usually is a multi-year volunteer commitment. Others aren't so stringent, but the work is done on a volunteer basis.

As for advice to you, if that is what you want to do, go to Africa, pound the pavement, and find that dream "bush pilot aid job" that you talk about. Those types of positions exist, its more a matter of being right place/right time.

Good luck.

WD

grensloos
1st Nov 2009, 09:08
Hey Albertaboy.

Can I assume that you're from America (i.e. Alberta)?

Why not try Air Serv? I've seen some of their Twin Otters around Chad.

As far as I know they are based out of DC.

Cheers
G

WDaron
1st Nov 2009, 12:14
I'd heard Air Serv went bankrupt, or was close to it earlier this year. Spoke to some of their pilots in Entebbe in April or May, all pilots in Congo were laid off.