PDA

View Full Version : Passengers taken ill flight Newark to LHR

coldair
31st Oct 2009, 11:23
From the Press Association;
The Press Association: Medical alert over 'fainting flight' (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hiFBtQpx9CaRLiUgdjWGe5CFTTbg)

Rather vague reporting to say the least;

Medical alert over 'fainting flight'
(UKPA) – 10 minutes ago
Medical services have been called to meet a plane landing at Heathrow Airport after several passengers fainted during the flight.
Around six people fainted during the flight from Newark, USA, and London Ambulance Service was asked to meet the flight when it landed at Terminal Five at 6.50am on Saturday.
It was not known what had caused the passengers to faint so the emergency services wore protective suits.
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said it is being treated as a potential hazmat (hazardous materials) incident.
An ambulance service spokeswoman said its hazardous area response team was sent to meet the flight, along with six ambulance crews, two duty managers and three paramedics on bicycles who are based at the airport.
Copyright © 2009 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

Avman
31st Oct 2009, 12:00
Forgive me, but I've just had a vision of three paramedics racing down the runway on their bicycles.

brakedwell
31st Oct 2009, 12:10
two duty managers and three paramedics on bicycles who are based at the airport.

I make that five bicycles :):):)

Basil
31st Oct 2009, 12:36
Chemical alert as six passengers faint on transatlantic flight to Heathrow - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/6473575/Chemical-alert-as-six-passengers-faint-on-transatlantic-flight-to-Heathrow.html)
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: "We were called at 6.41am to reports a number of people had been taken ill on a passenger aircraft. As a precaution we ran some tests on the aircraft to ensure there were no dangerous substances but they came back negative."
Six patients were taken to a health centre in the grounds of the airport. We assessed them and nobody needed hospital treatment.

Xeque
31st Oct 2009, 12:36
Spare a thought for those who pay the wages.
It must have been wonderful sitting on the ground for 2 hours after a trans-Atlantic flight whilst firemen in gas masks wandered up and down the aisles.
Presumably this included the people who had fainted.
What did the emergency services think it was? Akin to a scenario from a Tom Clancy novel methinks.

CaptainChaotic
31st Oct 2009, 12:54
Why boys are turning into girls (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthcomment/geoffrey-lean/6418553/Why-boys-are-turning-into-girls.html)

"The 326-page report, published by the environment protection agency, is the latest piece in an increasingly alarming jigsaw. A picture is emerging of ubiquitous chemical contamination driving down sperm counts and feminising male children all over the developed world"

"It concluded that a child could be "at critical risk" from just a few exposures to high levels of the substances, such as from rubber clogs, and imperilled by the amount it absorbed from sources ranging from food to sunscreens."

The latest and greatest modern materials are first used extensively in the manufacture of aircraft. The exposure of passengers to these materials in an aircraft is far higher than you will find elsewhere, a lot more needs to be done to establish links between these chemicals and adverse health effects.

coldair
31st Oct 2009, 13:23
Obviously this is just 'breaking news' More info will become available in time.

Chemical alert as six passengers faint on transatlantic flight to Heathrow - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/6473575/Chemical-alert-as-six-passengers-faint-on-transatlantic-flight-to-Heathrow.html)

Chemical alert as six passengers faint on transatlantic flight to Heathrow

More than 200 passengers were at the centre of an fumes alert at London's Heathrow airport after at least six "fainted" during a transatlantic British Airways flight.

By Julie Henry
Published: 11:54AM GMT 31 Oct 2009

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00998/british-airways_998611c.jpg The British Airways flight landed at Heathrow Terminal 5 Photo: AP

The Boeing 777 was ordered to a remote part of the airfield after landing early this morning, where it was met by 11 fire appliances and six ambulances.
The drama began as the British Airways flight BA184 from Newark, New Jersey, landed at Heathrow's Terminal 5 at about 6.50am.

The crew of the flight deck had radioed ahead to warn that six passengers had fainted, amid fears that they could have inhaled some type of poisonous chemical or been struck by a mystery bug.Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus boarded the plane and spent almost two hours checking for any sign of a chemical or fumes which might have caused the passengers' illness.
After the all-clear was given, ambulance crews were allowed aboard and treated the passengers, who reported feeling "light-headed" and "faint" during the flight. None required hospital treatment.
All 216 passengers, who were kept on board while firefighters checked the plane, were later allowed to disembark.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: "We were called at 6.41am to reports a number of people had been taken ill on a passenger aircraft. As a precaution we ran some tests on the aircraft to ensure there were no dangerous substances but they came back negative."
The spokeswoman confirmed the Boeing 777 aircraft had 216 passengers and 14 crew on board.
A spokesman for the London Ambulance Service said: "We were called just after 6am to Terminal 5 to six patients taken unwell on a plane.
"Six patients were taken to a health centre in the grounds of the airport. We assessed them and nobody needed hospital treatment. They were taken unwell on the flight and the cause of that is under investigation.
"We were discharged from the scene at 10.10am."
"The cabin area and flight deck were declared safe using equipment and by crews wearing gas-type suits," she said.
Police were also called to the scene but a spokesman said the incident was "not suspicious".

coldair
31st Oct 2009, 13:35
If the passengers were seriously affected it is likely that the cabin crew would have been affected too.

I think this should be in romours & news as it may have major implications.

PAXboy
31st Oct 2009, 13:36
No word yet as to WHEN the pax fainted. Cruise? TOD? Approach? Even roll out. That will be key info.

[The thread started in R&N and mods have just moved it here, leaving a pointer in R&N]

Roadster280
31st Oct 2009, 14:03
Might it just be CC being overenthusiastic with the heat controls? In the past, many is the time I have sat in my seat sweating after the meal phase because the heat has been cranked up (presumably to aid in sending the SLF to sleep?).

wbble
31st Oct 2009, 14:20
Probably toxic oil fumes from the engines. It happens all the time.

Xeque
31st Oct 2009, 14:50
A picture is emerging of ubiquitous chemical contamination driving down sperm counts and feminising male children all over the developed world"

"It concluded that a child could be "at critical risk" from just a few exposures to high levels of the substances, such as from rubber clogs, and imperilled by the amount it absorbed from sources ranging from food to sunscreens."
Rubber clogs = 'flip flops'?
Does this explain the preponderance of 'ladyboys' in Thailand? :oh:

dubh12000
31st Oct 2009, 15:01
Wow, I get the 184 at least once a month. We are always early and end up doing laps before going in.

Can anyone see if they went straight in? a 6.50 landing for the 184 is "normal".

Moira
31st Oct 2009, 15:04
Sounds like case of mass hysteria ... :hmm:

On second thoughts ... do 6 people qualify as a "mass"?

mickjoebill
31st Oct 2009, 15:29
Would it not be wiser to disembark passengers immediately rather than waiting for an emergency response team?

Unless the team have kit to check for contagious bugs why leave those who are so far unaffected to sit on the plane and possibly be further affected?

If the cause is unknown who is to know that landing and switching engines off could have exacerbated the cause?

Perhaps it is a case of with the best intentions, sticking to an emergency response plan that doesn't quite fit the circumstances?

Mickjoebill

radeng
31st Oct 2009, 16:07
If a PAX was seriously ill, the delay could have been fatal. Maybe the emergency plan figues that if the contamination is bad, fatalities have to be accepted to prevent further contamination......

It would be interesting to have an answer to that one at a news conference.

CornishFlyer
31st Oct 2009, 16:17
It'll probably be down to the fact that if it is a form of chemical "weapon" or something done maliciously (worst case scenario's will always be how the investigation starts then as things are ruled out, the "threat" will be downgraded) then the offending pax could destroy any evidence. Also it may stop the spread of something if it was something that was passing from one case to another. If it was an infection, Port Health would have quarantined the a/c so as to prevent anyone else being affected. Pretty much standard procedure. I doubt they would have kept the pax on for any longer than was necessary but you never know.

coldair
31st Oct 2009, 16:24
From 'The Aviation Herald'

Incident: British Airways B772 near London on Oct 31st 2009, medical emergency
By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Oct 31st 2009 14:53Z, last updated Saturday, Oct 31st 2009 14:53Z
The crew of a British Airways Boeing 777-200, registration G-ZZZC performing flight BA-184 from Newark,NJ (USA) to London Heathrow,EN (UK) with 214 passengers and 14 crew, requested a number of ambulances await the aircraft upon arrival in London Heathrow after a number of passengers fainted in flight. The airplane landed safely on runway 27L, six passengers needed to be treated at the airport, none needed to be taken to hospital as all recovered quickly. The cause of the illness remains unclear however.

Authorities reported, that they received the call about one hour prior to landing of the aircraft. They entered the aircraft with protective suits as it was unclear whether hazardeous material, virusses or bacteria could have caused the unconsciousness of the passengers. No hazardeous material, bugs or indications thereof were found. The passenger felt light headed before fainting and recovered quickly on the ground. Hazmat services examined the aircraft for two hours before declaring the airplane safe and permitting medical staff to enter the aircraft. Medical services were stood down 3 hours after landing after all six fainted passenger had recovered and didn't need hospitalization. Police concluded, that the incident was "not suspicious", the exact cause however remains unclear.

Can't rule our mass hysteria, stranger things have happened

Bob Upndown
31st Oct 2009, 18:13
If the cause of the fainting was unknown whilst in flight, would the flight deck have gone onto masks as a precaution?

HeathrowAirport
31st Oct 2009, 21:19
I wonder if they were all sitting on the same row? Thats very coincidental.

Thedonkeycentrehalf
31st Oct 2009, 21:21
Roadster280 - I've noticed this on 777s before myself. The problem is that as you don't have any of the old fashioned personal vents to direct 'fresh' air on you, there is no way to cool yourself down.

Juud
31st Oct 2009, 22:50
FAs and pax feeling dizzy and people fainting on the 777 was a well known problem for many airlines when the aircraft was first introduced.

This article gives some info, but fainting was much more widespread among passengers than mentioned here: Crew Members Fault Air Quality on 777's (http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/15/travel/travel-advisory-correspondent-s-report-crew-members-fault-air-quality-on-777-s.html)
No idea what happened on this flight, but in a cabin where the ´airquality´ is already borderline, some malfunction/DG fumes incident adversely affecting the cabin air can cause a bigger problem than it would cause in say a 747.

Might it just be CC being overenthusiastic with the heat controls? In the past, many is the time I have sat in my seat sweating after the meal phase because the heat has been cranked up (presumably to aid in sending the SLF to sleep?).
Roadster, some people, perhaps due to a suspicious nature coupled with a lack of knowledge, like to ascribe ulterior motives to others.
If you are like that, don´t read the following. ;)

The heating system of the 777 is not that good. The heat is distributed very unevenly, and even the retrofitted modifications that were supposed to improve the system haven´t helped very much.
Simply put, there are a number of ´cold traps´ in a 777 cabin, easily discernible when you walk down the aisle. Sections, a couple of rows each, have really really cold air coming down over them, while the rest of the aircraft is comfy.

So the CC are faced with a continuous balancing act. Trying to keep the pax in the ´cold rows´ from freezing and spending 8-12 hours in shivering misery, while at the same trying to avoid overheating the rest of the pax.
It is an impossible situation, whatever CC do there will always be pax who are uncomfortable.
We try though, Lord knows we try.

Another aspect is that during night flights, people´s metabolism slows down which lowers their body temp. So pax ask for the heat to be turned up.
A third aspect is that Asian pax are ALWAYS cold and require a significantly higher cabin temp than Western/African pax. So if you as a Westerner are on a flight with mainly Asian pax, you will be hot.
Last but not least, as pointed out already by Donkey, the lack of individual airvents is no doubt cheaper but detracts from pax comfort.

As every long haul flight attendant knows, there are flights where most pax will sleep most of the flight, and there are flights where most pax will be awake for most of the flight.
It´s dependent on departure time, outside light/dark and direction of time-zone crossing.
Every flight has its own fixed pattern.
It never varies.
No matter what we do with the lights, the blinds or the heating. :)

Standard1
31st Oct 2009, 22:52
Rumour here is that it was caused by Dry Ice and that a loader also collapsed after he opened the cargo door. If true must have been quite high consentrations.

aceflyer-jerz
1st Nov 2009, 11:15
Rumour here is that it was caused by Dry Ice and that a loader also collapsed after he opened the cargo door. If true must have been quite high consentrations.

If this should be the case, will the official report read due to " Icing conditions" ;)

Dream Buster
2nd Nov 2009, 09:49
Medical alert after series of passengers mysteriously faint mid-flight on their way to Britain | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1224282/Medical-alert-series-passengers-mysteriously-faint-mid-flight-way-Britain.html)

Aerotoxic Assiociation - Support for sufferers of Aerotoxic Syndrome (http://www.aerotoxic.org) for more.

A picture is worth a 1000 words....

DB :uhoh:

PAXboy
2nd Nov 2009, 11:25
Thanks for the link DB In the opening paragraph the Daily Mail goes for the more dramatic Six people collapsed ...and by the fourth paragraph have downgraded this to ... who complained of feeling 'light-headed and faint.The interesting info is that the people were seated in varying parts of Y and not together. They also hypothesise that the pax may have had a stomach bug.

If it was toxic air, then no trace would be found anyway, due to the elapsed time although no detail was given as to when in the flight the pax felt poorly.

Dream Buster
2nd Nov 2009, 20:43
I suppose if anybody really wanted to prove toxic air fumes - the airlines would fit toxic air detectors instead of relying on the Mk 1 human nose.

Maybe they don't want to detect them!

Incidentally, does anybody know the safe exposure limit of such a detector -for pregnant mothers?

DB :mad:

Basil
4th Nov 2009, 09:33
I cannot comment re those who allege lasting harm caused by a certain little 4 jet which has a 'toxic air' reputation; this was not one of those.
I and many others I know have over forty years and many thousands of hours as mil and civil pilots and have never suffered from toxic air inhallation on a passenger aircraft.
Juud has a point which I noticed on my last pax trip EWR>LHR (why not just leave the others feeling cold? - they can always wrap up - you wouldn't want to see Basil down to his boxers trying to keep cool :yuk:)

For passengers reading this, when starting engines or passing downwind of another aircraft, it is common to smell ingested paraffin fumes.
For those who have never worked in industry with its smells and fumes it may be worrying but it's normal - unless, of course, your worst fears are realised and the engine really is on fire ;)

wbble
5th Nov 2009, 09:40
Basil. It's good to know that you and many you know have not suffered the effects of contaminated bleed air. My mate George has been smoking 60 cigarettes a day for 40 years and is OK, so by the same logic smoking isn't bad for you. The point is not everyone is affected the same, people fly different aircraft types, some with worse air quality problems than others, or they may take just one flight and experience a fume event. Because you're OK, it doesn't mean there is no problem. Like you I know loads of people who have been flying for years and are fit. I also know dozens who are seriously ill and have been specifically diagnosed with breathing toxic fumes (Aerotoxic Syndrome). A survey by GCAQE has found HUNDREDS of ex-146 pilots with a clear pattern of neurological disease, brain tumours and death. As these people leave the aviation scene, they are forgotten about.

Anyone in any doubt, do the research, look at the evidence from both sides: the government who say there's "no evidence" of a problem, and organisations like the Aerotoxic Association (http://www.aerotoxic.org/) who say otherwise. If you look at the issue for five minutes, you may conclude the government are doing their best to look into the issue. If you spend more time on it, as you dig deeper, the extent of the problem will become apparent, as well as the lengths they are going to to cover it up. I've been researching for two years, am I appalled by the misery that has been caused to so many peoples' lives.

Engine oil contains tricresyl phosphate, a potent neurotoxin, it does get into bleed air, bleed air enters the cabin unfiltered ... go figure!

Dream Buster
5th Nov 2009, 16:08
Basil,

If I could have a sample of your blood - I could tell you whether you have been exposed to toxic chemicals - it is not rocket science.

I have many mates who claimed that they hadn't been affected either, now they are losing kidneys, immunity systems and their health and being told by doctors it is all caused by exposure to oil fumes.

They now want help - it's a bit late.

Toxic cabin air appeal: has your health been affected? - Learmount (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/learmount/2009/10/toxic-cabin-air-appeal-has-you.html)

So Basil why don't you have your blood checked and see what is ahead for you? You might be in for a nasty shock.

I wish you well sir, but please respect the expert doctors' detailed findings....

http://www.aerotoxic.org/download/images/general/Enfield%20Advertiser%20-%20Prizewinner%20solves%20pilot%20illness%20puzzle.jpg

...and when colleagues say they feel awful - they feel.....awful.

DB :ok:

Basil
7th Nov 2009, 10:09
Two points:

1. I specifically excluded the 146.

2. Born in an industrial area and following a career in engineering, artillery discharge, ships' engine rooms, military and civil aviation and months spent in HK with a northerly wind I have no douby that I've ingested a range of toxins, both inadvertently and intentionally ;)

I have had one episode of unexplained discomfort. When I mentioned a rude comment by one of my kids the doc said "Oh, yes, I've checked for all those ailments too." Never achieved a diagnosis and the symptoms eventually subsided so perhaps that was one of your 'toxic syndrome' reactions.

Have you flown and then developed any of the following unexplainable symptoms?
Constant fatigue you can’t shake off, dizziness, can’t think straight, trouble concentrating, memory problems, speech problems, spaced out, not feeling yourself, mood swings, speech problems, breathing difficulties ...
Yes, but they disappeared after I sobered up :}
Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Xeque
8th Nov 2009, 14:31
Firemen in green wellies - love it :}
Nice to see at least one passenger was treating the spectacle with the laughter it deserved.

apaddyinuk
12th Nov 2009, 13:12
I always love how you lot assume that it was the "cabin crew" overreacting!

All the cabin crew do is deal with the patient, call Medlink and go from there! If it was really considered serious there and then Im sure the Captain may have elected to divert! If anything I would assume that Port Health stuck their finger in and hence it all turned out rather dramatic!!!!

wbble
16th Nov 2009, 14:29
Toxic Free Airlines (https://www.toxicfreeairlines.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1) would like to speak to any passengers (or crew) who were on the flight.