PDA

View Full Version : Puma today on the A4232

barnstormer1968
30th Oct 2009, 21:13
While driving on the A4232 near St Fagans, at 14.27 today, I came across a puma on the back of a low loader parked in a lay by.

The serial number was taped over, so I could not get specific details of the exact aircraft, but does anyone where it was going, or what is wrong with it/what happened to it?

If I don't need to know then that is fine (and no need to post "if you needed to know then you would"), but am just curious, as it brightened up an otherwise mundane journey:ok:.

P.S. for the readers in search of comedy, can I state it was the rotary type of Puma, rather than the four legged type:E.

Airborne Aircrew
30th Oct 2009, 21:45
Defense cuts: It's cheaper to drive the troops into battle in a Puma on the back of a truck than to actually fly them there. You witnessed the side benefit: The crew can take their rest at the local layby or greasy spoon... You have to love Government, so efficient... :}

barnstormer1968
30th Oct 2009, 22:54
I had thought the same thing.
It would also be easier for the troops to leave the aircraft while in the hover, as they could step off straight onto the low loader. Much easier than in the late eighties when I was last jumping out of one, and saw quite a few lads chin themselves on their weapons as they hit the ground:eek::ouch:.

St Johns Wort
1st Nov 2009, 10:59
Suspect you spotted the future 1st of the Mk IIs on its way for a make over.

Faithless
1st Nov 2009, 11:14
The first one on it's way to make it better. I.e the UK's answer to spending stupid amounts of money by pouring it into an old airframe.

Give it new engines and Cockpit...All done in another country and we should all be greatful that the New Labour UK PLC are looking after the Armed Forces.

Not bitter.....MUCH :ugh:

ShyTorque
1st Nov 2009, 14:04
Come now, plenty of life left in these aircraft. The type didn't come into service until 1971.

Same year as these:

Morris Marina (http://www.retrowow.co.uk/transport/70s/morris_marina.html)

Fareastdriver
1st Nov 2009, 15:27
About a decade after the Chinook, and one of these.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/fareastdriver/250px-Ford_Consul_Capri.jpg