PDA

View Full Version : Duty Free and Connecting Flights

Gouabafla
30th Oct 2009, 11:28
One of the joys (along with Java House) of flying from Nairobi is the cheap duty free booze. Normally, I fly directly home with KQ, so have no problem bringing a bottle or two home. However, on my next flight I'll be with KLM and routing via Amsterdam. Am I right in assuming that if I get a bottle of Kenya Gold at NBO, it will be removed from me when I connect in Amsterdam? What about if I buy a bottle on the NBO-AMS leg?

MathFox
30th Oct 2009, 11:54
Assume that all booze you bring into Amsterdam will be taken from you at the security checkpoint. Put it into your checked luggage. (Unless Amsterdam is your final destination)

Rusland 17
30th Oct 2009, 12:27
MathFox is correct. All duty-free booze (and other liquids that do not meet the standard 100ml/one-litre bag rule) that were not purchased and sealed at an EU airport will be taken from you at the gate in AMS.

Some airlines will allow you to check in your duty-free purchases at the gate as additional checked baggage, but most won't (presumably because of the logistical problems of doing so).

Incidentally, because security checks at AMS take place at the gate, you will also be unable to take on board any bottles of water or other soft drinks you purchase in the airport shops.

Gouabafla
30th Oct 2009, 12:29
Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure this was the case, but it's always worth checking. Looks like I'll be going short of my favourite coffee based drink for a while.

nicolai
31st Oct 2009, 12:42
Incidentally, because security checks at AMS take place at the gate, you will also be unable to take on board any bottles of water or other soft drinks you purchase in the airport shops.

That's not entirely true. Some shops in the airport can seal any liquid for security, be it booze or water. Most of the obvious eaterys can't (eg, the food court at the A-gates end, or the snackbars at the H-gate end) but the shops that sell cakes, chocolate, cheese, and drinks can do that (state you wish to take the drink onto the aircraft before you buy to ensure this happens). For example the food shop at the H-pier end of the airport, behind the sunglasses shop, will sell you soft drinks you can take onboard the aircraft. Irritatingly the last-chance grab-and-fly stalls right by security, can't do this!