PDA

View Full Version : Senegal Airlines in 2010?

Wingsofprayer
30th Oct 2009, 10:09
Boys and gals,

My French is far from functional, but I think the story tells of new Senegal Airline. Maybe some French speakers can enlighten us...

I wonder what a/c will grace the skies there - new opp in West Africa? Better than Nigeria?

Sénégal Airlines, nouvelle compagnie, démarre ses activités début 2010 (http://www.rewmi.com/Senegal-Airlines,-nouvelle-compagnie,-demarre-ses-activites-debut-2010_a19395.html)

concordino
30th Oct 2009, 10:50
The article basically states the following:

First flight expected in the beginning of 2010 to a network covering Africa and Europe.

Senegal Airlines will be part of a Holding Group called GAS (Groupe Air Senegal).

I will be owned by the private sector, although the government will have a stake in this new airline, it will not run it.

Karim Wade (son of president Abdoulay Wade) who is also minister of Air Transport :E , stated this company will be a major player in African Aviation and offer the best inflight service.

There is no mention of airplane types, however he stated a delegation will be attending the Dubai Air show November 15-19th and that an announcement regarding fleet composition will be expected shortly.

I say Good luck to them :) wish them the very best :ok:

SalesConsult
30th Oct 2009, 11:57
The beginning of this does not bode too well. Government involvement, son of president etc. Africa aviation has been there before and it has always ended in tears.:ugh:

concordino
30th Oct 2009, 15:38
Ever since Air Afrique folded, all attempts by member nations to start their own airlines have had very limited success.

The only modest example is being Air Ivoire...most other start ups involved small ventures with European operators for short term or medium term equipment leases...

Senegal has benefited from sufficient operational experience from Air Senegal International Days. Royal Air Maroc provided a good support at some stage by bringing in gradually 737NGs at a later stage.

But this begs the question, why did RAM pull out of a venture they once assessed as strategic and profitable?

Fact is the Moroccans pulled out to limit mounting losses due to counter management from various Senegalese parts.

Call the days of Air Senegal International a " conflict of ambitions and aspirations", this is a chance for the Senegalese to go at it on their own.

Let us see what they make out of it :)

eagleflier
30th Oct 2009, 17:37
Better than Nigeria?
The devil you know is better than the angel you don't.
No matter how bad you consider Nig aviation to be,why compare it to an airline that doesn't exist yet.

elpilotofrances
31st Oct 2009, 13:22
bla bla bla ...
no names ... where is coming the money??
somebody in place have leasing of wide body to be placed somecwhere ....
The only problem in this new company wil be : is the gouvernement guy will pay theirs tickets ?????????

concordino
19th Nov 2009, 17:37
The latest on Senegal Airlines can be seen in this article as appeared on ATW Online.

[QUOTE]Senegal order helps Airbus to 'better than expected' air show

An order from Senegal Airlines announced yesterday helped Airbus secure Dubai Airshow bragging rights with commitments for 33 aircraft valued at more than $5.3 billion.

Senegal's new national carrier, unveiled as the show kicked off on Sunday (ATWOnline, Nov. 17), signed a letter of intent to purchase four A320 family aircraft and two A330s. The airline intends to start flying early next year with leased aircraft. Delivery dates for the planes ordered yesterday were not announced.

Emirates Group announced its intention to support Senegal Airlines' launch and reached a long-term agreement to help with "commercial support, technical expertise, training and aviation-related goods and services."/QUOTE]

By the looks of it, EK's involvement sounds promising :)