PDA

View Full Version : Messerschmitt - D Mail web today

Fournierf5
29th Oct 2009, 18:15
Yes, that's how they spelt it. Silly story today on DMail website re BoB70th . . .of more interest is one picture used to illustrate article of a 'Messerschmidt 110 bomber .....' Picture shows practically complete example, under some netting, placed on display on what I presume to be a London street - anyone got any more details on when / how etc etc

Fournierf5
29th Oct 2009, 23:19
three out of ten for copying the Mail's caption, the question was actually about establishing where in London it was put on show. . . and perhaps, as a bonus, where it originally crash landed!

avionic type
30th Oct 2009, 01:56
haven't a clue where the street is but during the BofB and after enemy shot down planes were put on show to aid the Spitfire Funds

stevef
30th Oct 2009, 06:45
One for the London Bass pub experts! Paintshop won't sharpen the sign up enough unfortunately.

Bravo73
30th Oct 2009, 08:39
Fournierf5,

Zero out of ten for being so rude and ungrateful. I just posted the picture (and it's 'Daily HateMail caption') to help you on your 'quest'. :ugh:

Oh well, I won't bother next time.

forget
30th Oct 2009, 08:53
Fournierf5, Why don't you post the picture and it's 'Daily Mail caption' to help you on your 'quest. :hmm:

Fournierf5
30th Oct 2009, 14:03
I DIDN'T post the picture because it didn't strike me as particularly difficult to follow my lead to the Mail website.Some folk apparently suffer severe palpitations at the thought of this and then revel in telling how much they have been traumatised by reading the Mailbut that's their silly little problem.More pertinently, I also thought there may have been copyright issues. Perhaps the 'Mods' could advise?Nevertheless another person DID 'helpfully' post the pix and caption stating what was already known. I freely admit m'lud that I mildy rebuked him for this as it contributed nothing much to the discussion. Tantrum ensued, picture not here anymore!
The picture is in the Corbis Historical Archive. (Easily found online). Their caption, below, including their spelling errors gives little away. There is a sign in the background saying 'ABASSA'. Whether that's a club/organisation/company name, I can't establish yet.

Messerschimidt 110 On Display Original caption: 10/25/1940-London, England: Captured bird of prey- This Messerschmidt 110 fighter-bomber, in relatively good condition, was shot down over England, and is now on exhibition in a London street, where it helps bolster civilian morale as concrete evidence that the R.A.F. is giving a good account of itself.

TEEEJ
30th Oct 2009, 16:11
Have you tried the following Historic Forum?

Historic Aviation - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)

stevef
30th Oct 2009, 18:42
Fournierf5 wrote:
There is a sign in the background saying 'ABASSA'. Whether that's a club/organisation/company name, I can't establish yet.

Ahem, see my earlier reference to the Bass pubs. :)
The Bass (beer) symbol was a red triangle on either side of the name. Never liked the stuff, or its Watney compatriots....