PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Freight Dog

Plantation Air
29th Oct 2009, 14:26
Hello All,

Was hoping someone might be able to provide me with some information on how I might go about finding a cargo pilot job in Europe. I am 1200 hr FAA Commercial pilot currently flying in the US. I've been interested in flying abroad for sometime but have only now started to research the process. I understand that I must get an ICAO conversion. Must I also get a JAA ATPL (I hear this is like getting a degree in nuclear physics) in order to work for a freight company? Another question I'd like to pose is, does anyone think this is actually an achievable goal or am I simply mad to attempt such a move? The av job market in the states in garbage so I figure I can safely assume it's likewise elsewhere. Regardless, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. All the best, Elbridge

16down2togo
29th Oct 2009, 16:24
Dear Plantation,
it would be no problem to fly in Europe for a US citizen, much easier than the other way around. But - nowadays you have to have a JAA ATP and that's a different story from a US one.
1200 hrs is not bad depending on what types of aircraft but I assume most of it is single engine, doesn't help much on this side of the atlantic, plus because of the crisis there are plenty of unemployed high experience guys on the market.
Sorry doesn't look to good those days,
sorry did not want to disappoint you, carry on, better times are coming!
Rgds

Donalk
2nd Nov 2009, 11:06
it would be no problem to fly in Europe for a US citizen,

...........apart from the minor inconvenience of obtaining the necessary residence and work permits. Only achievable if a sponsoring company can demonstrate that, despite an exhaustive search, there is no suitably qualified EU citizen who can fulfil the role.

JW411
2nd Nov 2009, 16:26
And exactly those rules applied when I flew DC-10s for a Part 121 carrier for three years in the United States.

It works both ways.

Plantation Air
10th Nov 2009, 17:26
16. Thanks much for the info and kind words. Certainly seems like now is not the time.

whazitdoinnow
11th Nov 2009, 11:39
It might be actually a good time to get in. Things couldn't get any worse 4 months ago and now it seems to be picking up. Just give it a try!

malc4d
15th Nov 2009, 12:25
Are there any jobs for 1200 hr pilots in the Orlando area............?

africacargo
15th Nov 2009, 13:40
Africa is worth a look as they are all expanding and the credit crunch seems to have bypassed it more or less - good luck anyway and as someone else said give it a try nothing ventured et al

ferrydude
15th Nov 2009, 13:46
Yes, flightexpress.com