PDA

View Full Version : High Flyers: How Britain Took to the Air

StillStanding
29th Oct 2009, 13:14
Enjoyable programme on BBC 4 last night, now on iPlayer.

Worth a view of an approach at Croydon, 8:40 from the start. Unbelievable! Shame you guys aren't allowed to land like that anymore.

BN2A
29th Oct 2009, 13:18
Looked perfectly normal to me!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

If only the prestige, glamour, and Silver-Wing service was still around.... :(

L1649
29th Oct 2009, 19:01
Yes, a very interesting programme with only one use of the dreaded "airplane" word. :}

Tankertrashnav
29th Oct 2009, 21:48
Yes but that bloody music all the way through - aargh. I liked that Croydon approach - Ive done a few like that in a C172, but it was only myself and my instructor I was scaring!

fernytickles
30th Oct 2009, 02:18
We just watched it this evening - thoroughly enjoyed it. Sat watching it, with the laptop on my knees, googling the aircraft registrations that I saw. The internet is amazing, thanks to folks who save the info on here :)

Especially poignant when they showed the elderly widow of the former pilot listening to the tape recording of her husband talking about his flying days. Sixty years of marriage? Quite the record for anyone, let alone a pilot.

603DX
31st Oct 2009, 15:51
I watched this on iPlayer last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was good to see that when the BBC are not chasing ratings with the crowd pleasing meretricious prancing/dancing stuff on their main channels, they can still produce quality programmes like this.

It was pleasing to see scenes filmed recently at Shoreham, with the blue DH Rapide in front of that marvellous Art Deco terminal, as I frequently visit there.

One shock in the programme was to hear Amy Johnson's speaking voice, what a surprise! Never having heard her before, I expected a Yorkshire accent, as she came from Hull and was said to come from "an ordinary family of fishermen." But oh, my dear, how posh!!! She sounded grander than the Queen!

Viola
1st Nov 2009, 16:52
Amy Johnson had a degree in French and Economics (I think) from Sheffield University.

Ordinary working people could not afford to go to University as you had to pay, and there were very, very few scholarships/grants before the 2nd World War.

She was a remarkable woman though.

Kolibear
3rd Nov 2009, 20:21
bloody music all the way through - aargh

Oh Good! I wasn't only me who was distracted by it.

All in all, a very enjoyable programme.