PDA

View Full Version : Qantas slapped with Shonky gong

desmotronic
28th Oct 2009, 08:09
Liquid chicken stocks which contained no real chicken and a food processor that shattered when used were two winners in this year's Shonky Awards, held by the consumer watchdog Choice.

Australian airline Qantas also received a gong for its $7.70 credit card surcharge per passenger per flight, which Choice says exceeds the average 1 per cent credit card fee normally charged.

Uncle Toby's was also named and shamed for selling smaller cereal packets as well as cosmetics company L'Oreal for its use of made-up scientific words.

Choice spokesman Christopher Zinn says the awards are a wake-up call to companies.

"These awards are meant to be fun, but the intent is more serious because it's really about providing a disincentive to those who think they can rip us off," he said.

Source: ABC news.

ditch handle
28th Oct 2009, 08:44
Ah yes. Qantas Management's lack of a "moral compass" strikes again.

Danish butter anyone........

Qantas criticised over foreign butter - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/03/2703889.htm)

ampclamp
28th Oct 2009, 09:42
I read the blurb on the abc and you'd think that qantas were responsible for all the above shonkies not just the credit charges

ditch handle
28th Oct 2009, 11:45
A spokesman for the airline said the decision to purchase the cheaper Danish butter was made during the downturn in the aviation industry to minimise job losses.

Quite right too. Just omitted the part about minimising Danish job losses.

Firecat
28th Oct 2009, 12:16
Buy duty free onboard a Qantas aircraft and you have three options:
1. A credit Card and get slugged a 3% fee
2.Use foreign currency and receive the worlds worst exchange rate.
3.Use Australian dollars if you have any.
Yes,Yes why does anyone buy duty free on a qantas plane?The range is crap and expensive crap at that.

Gobetter
28th Oct 2009, 14:02
Skip,

If you take the time to read my post, you will see it is relevant.

I said, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Just like Virgin's, Jetstar's and all other LCC's... if you don't like the cost of soup, don't buy it, don't like the cost of having a pillow, tv, dinner, don't buy it....

So, by logic one would naturally make the link to the fact that, if you don't like the cost of Qantas inflight shopping, don't buy it.

What is so difficult about that to understand mate?

Firecat
28th Oct 2009, 22:38
Firstly I am female and therefore it is anatomically incorrect to refer to me as a "diquehead".
Secondly nowhere in my post did I indicate that I had purchased duty free from Qantas.
The post(my post) was in keeping with the subject of the thread.
Gobetter you are a very rude and angry person

Shlonghaul
28th Oct 2009, 22:45
Qantas Duty Free Rip off -- 1. A credit Card and get slugged a 3% fee
2.Use foreign currency and receive the worlds worst exchange rate.
Yes,Yes why does anyone buy duty free on a qantas plane?The range is crap and expensive crap at that.

Firecat I'm outraged how else do you expect the company to pay for Dixon's golden handshake?!! Darth thanks everyone who has assisted him in keeping above the poverty line even if it's only slightly above in these difficult financial times when you're trying to make ends meet with only a multi million dollar payout :rolleyes:

Pedota
29th Oct 2009, 00:18
Don’t you just love PPRuNe . . .

Post 1 – article about credit card charges
Post 2 – QANTAS has lost its ‘moral compass’
Post 3 – tries to apply some reason
Post 4 – Danish butter?
Post 5 – Duty free rip off?
Post 6 – more reason attempted
Post 7 – degenerates into a slanging match
Post 8 - Darth’s handshake?

Eight posts – 5 main subjects and a squabble erupted!

PPRuNe is a great spectator sport.

Cheers

snoop doggy dog
29th Oct 2009, 00:27
Ozzie Cabin Crew for ya :(