PDA

View Full Version : Any ex-teachers here?

thomas18107
26th Oct 2009, 21:45
Bascially I'm bored of my current job and would love to realise my dream and make a career move into cabin crew although I know that right now is perhaps not the best time.

How did any ex-teachers find the move? Do you regret it? Should I go for it in the future at some point? How do you find the pay with regards to teaching? Until recently this was something that did not concern me too much but I am aware of BA plans to slash current wages so would be interested to hear how it compares.

apaddyinuk
26th Oct 2009, 21:49
Many of the crew who I have met who were teachers returned to teaching after a few years flying.

You need to remember that flying is no longer a long term career move. It is something you do for a few years to get the traveling bug out of your system. Best hting you can do is try to get a job with a proper airline where by you actually will travel a fair bit and get to visit the places you are landed in.

I hate saying this despite being BA crew...but sure we are about to start the fight to maintain the job as a career but me still thinks those days are numbered and we are one of the last carriers left where crew could possibly stay flying for decades!

thomas18107
26th Oct 2009, 22:02
APaddy

I identify with much that you are saying. I too could see myself as one of those people who would return to flying after a few years but like you say I really need to get this dream out of my system.

It saddens me to hear what BA may be planning and I wish you well in your fight. As selfish as it may sound, I have an interest in your fight being successful because much of it will determine if I get to realise my cabin crew dream i.e. if I cannot make a similar living then perhaps the dream is over before it's begun (unless I can take some sort of career break to guarantee me back into my old job).

As much as I enjoy my job and pain to have regrets, I can't help feeling that maybe I've missed the boat and should have done this years ago when condistions were better...

ArthurBorges
28th Oct 2009, 12:52
Um, I understand you teach and want to fly.

I wanted to fly and ended up teaching.

Maybe we can relate here.

My friends at AF and elsewhere wouldn't recommend an airline career, because, as already posted, cabin crew are considered as little better than consumables like Johnny Walker, breakfast trays and toilet paper (no offense meant to folks putting their hearts into taking as best care as they can of fellow human beings like they know they are themselves).

My suggestion is to expatriate and teach English as a foreign language.

Anywhere.

It'll rejuvenate your mindset one way or another.

PM me for details.