PDA

View Full Version : REGULAR Public Transport

Sunfish
26th Oct 2009, 18:49
REGULAR Public Transport....that's what the licence is supposed to be for.

CASA has been turning a blind eye to the practice of all Australian airlines of cancelling "uneconomic" flights (yield management or whatever?) since around 1980. I remember being told at Ansett at the time by my boss that the practice was probably illegal under the Act, but that since we were in a downturn CASA (CAA at the time?) would turn a blind eye to it.

I'm not sure if Tiger is operating to "schedule" or not, but this incident, and a similar one in Perth, leads me to wonder if the toothless Tiger that is CASA will ever require any Australian airline to make reasonable efforts to operate to a published schedule and to fulfil their responsibilities to passengers.

Tiger is never going to get a cent from me. Neither will QF or Jetstar.

Federal police were on hand to protect Tiger Airways staff when they told a planeload of Melbourne-bound passengers they would be stranded in Hobart for three days.

Disgruntled passenger Mike Waters said the 9.15pm flight to Melbourne from Hobart was cancelled on Friday night when a flight attendant became ill.

He said passengers were initially told the flight would still be departing but after a two-hour wait were then told to go to the Tiger Airways ticketing desk where about five police officers appeared to be standing guard.

Some passengers were then informed they would not be able to fly home until today and were taken to stay in a hotel about 20 kilometres from Hobart.

Police guard staff after Tiger passengers left stranded (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/police-guard-staff-after-tiger-passengers-left-stranded-20091026-hg17.html)

Enema Bandit's Dad
26th Oct 2009, 19:46
CASA is just a rubber stamp for the airlines. Weak as piss. :yuk:

Managers Perspective
26th Oct 2009, 20:11
I'm not sure if Tiger is operating to "schedule" or not, but this incident, and a similar one in Perth, leads me to wonder if the toothless Tiger that is CASA will ever require any Australian airline to make reasonable efforts to operate to a published schedule and to fulfil their responsibilities to passengers.

CASA do not get to make up the rules, which provision within the Civil Aviation Act are you accusing them of not upholding?

Link to the Act here to assist you with your review: ComLaw Management - Series- Civil Aviation Act 1988 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/management.nsf/lookupindexpagesbyid/IP200401375?OpenDocument)

MP

DGR
26th Oct 2009, 20:27
It may have been illegal in the 1980s, emphasis on MAY, when the Two Airline Act was still in vogue. But today I'm not sure that operating to schedule is something that CASA, whose mandate is safety, not commercial matters can or wants to regulate.

lowerlobe
26th Oct 2009, 21:32
Sunfish...

Most of the time I enjoy reading your posts but this last one has made me curious...

The article you re posted is about Tiger and one of it's delays yet....you somehow manage to include Ansett, J* as well as Qantas in at the same time....

What about VB?

By the way seeing that this was originally an article about a delay with Tiger was this a deliberate pun on your part...
leads me to wonder if the toothless Tiger that is CASA

tail wheel
26th Oct 2009, 21:39
CASA have no authority, responsibility or mandate in respect to airline scheduling, delayed flights or cancelled flights.

Passengers should start reading the fine print on their tickets. Caveat emptor!

Their only remedy may be fair trading legislation if the ticket terms and conditions are unreasonable.