PDA

View Full Version : Read Backs ARE essential !

EnglishPatient
17th Jul 2001, 19:26
As a civilian air traffic controller and an ex-RAF type, I have a lot of dealings with Military Jets every working day. Prodominantly, most aircrew are professional and we both understand the needs for integrating their military training with the reality that I'm really there for serving the airlines & the airport.

Sadly and quite increasingly, a minority are letting the side down! Yesterday two Hawks (no prizes for guessing which base) came across for instrument training. Both aircraft totally independant of one another and 20 mins apart demonstrated a poor grasp of airmanship, well either that, or a total disrespect for civil procedures.

The main issue was readbacks! Readbacks are so important no matter how under pressure or whatever work load the pilot is under. Yesterday I would have had a better chance of getting blood out of a stone than a read back off them. Due to the lack of read backs yesterday, both aircraft flew very close to having potential incidents. Mandatory reports were almost submitted by 3 civilian controllers and 1 military controller!

I hope yesterdays post conversation with pilots were a case of lessons learnt (by all)and that they dont continue to take their cowboy boots and hats on their next flight.

I like to finish on a good note, Thank you WADDO & Kinloss it was a pleasure having you training with us yesterday, true professionals. Look forward to more of the same..... Ciao

RoboAlbert
18th Jul 2001, 00:36
Might explain the way the CAA military accreditation package has been set up. That's it - I'm toast......