PDA

View Full Version : Headset Types In Jets?

pointyendforward
25th Oct 2009, 23:34
Following on from the "headset types in GA" thread, what is the prefered headset in so-called 'quiet cockpit' jets?

Desirable features include:
Excellent noise attenuation (ANR?)
Comfortable to wear for 3+ hours continuously
Light weight
Still able to hear cockpit conversation (if the guy next to you prefered not to wear a headset or use the intercom)
Etc

RENURPP
26th Oct 2009, 00:17
Only wear a headset for take off and landing, simply because its impractacle to pick up a microphone for radio calls at those times. In any case, the lightest weight one available is fine.

Forget the noise attenuating stuff, not required and they have to be approved for the aircraft type, and there is little noise, until the CC come in for a chat.

greenslopes
26th Oct 2009, 00:19
Bose and Sennheiser have an excellent range of noise cancelling headsets, unfortunately so good that as you pose the Q if the other crew choose not to use intercom you will be unable to hear them. Telex (Airman 850)on the other hand have a noise cancelling headset which doesn't reduce the level of ambient noise to a level where external warnings/cautions and conversations cannot be heard.
I use the Telex and am very happy. The guys who use Senn or Bo are frustrated when they have to leave one ear off to hear the other crewmwmber if not using I'com.

Good Luck

greenslopes
26th Oct 2009, 00:25
The headset in most cases does not need to be approved, the reason being that most aircraft don't stipulate what types of H'set is required. This is covered by a CAO whose reference escapes me.
The reason why CASA don't require headsets to be specific to type is that every time you wanted to unplug and replug it would need testing and signing off by a LAME. Clearly impractical and the reason why CASA have prescribed the appropriate CAO(sorry too much on to go referencing).

neville_nobody
26th Oct 2009, 00:58
Forget the noise attenuating stuff, not required and they have to be approved for the aircraft type, and there is little noise, until the CC come in for a chat.

You want noise attenuating if you're in a 737-800 or a 747. Low level cruise (ie 25-280) in a 737 is very noisy.

LeadSled
26th Oct 2009, 02:00
RENURP,

There are two very good reasons why many major operators require crews to wear electric hats in flight, they are:

(1) Hearing preservation in the right ear of all tech. crew, and:
(2) Ditto the left ear.

Quite a few airlines now supply ENR headsets.

Operators who have paid out damages for industrial deafness cases brought by tech. crew are particularly sensitive to the issue of hearing loss.

I am of the view (having had years of experience with and without) that safety is better served by the clarity of hearing with a headset, rather than overhead speakers competing against all the background noise in a cockpit.

Finally, an examination of the rules of several significant aviation countries: headsets for all IFR flights.

Tootle pip!!

Oxidant
26th Oct 2009, 02:04
LeadSled, I could not agree more.:ok:

Capn Bloggs
26th Oct 2009, 08:40
(1) Hearing preservation in the right ear of all tech. crew, and:
(2) Ditto the left ear.

When communicating across the cockpit in a no-intercom aircraft, headsets get in the way. Hence the FOs have their left ear exposed and the captains their right. Then the volumes get wound up to compensate because only one earpiece is being used=pilots going deaf, first in right, then left as their career progresses.

I take the headset off as soon as I can and use the cockpit speakers - my hearing will love me for it.

I'm with Renurpp.

Oxidant
26th Oct 2009, 18:22
Your hearing would love it more if it had half the volume, (by covering both ears) & using the intercom that Mr Airbus or Mr Boeing spent $$$$ fitting to the a/c!

Capt Claret
26th Oct 2009, 20:04
I use a Plantronics MS250 in the Douglas/Boeing717. I find the audio clarity far exceeds the Telex piece of $%*t supplied. I also find that the Tx clarity is far better.

It's light weight, only one ear piece, and not at all uncomfortable for hours on end.

redsnail
26th Oct 2009, 22:22
Work supplies us with Telex 850s. I don't like them and prefer my Sennheiser KA25s. They are very very good. ANR supplied by battery power. I use USB rechargeable batteries and they work like a dream. :ok:

NATS (UK ATC) have found that the US airlines have the highest number of missed radio calls. (it might have been United, I am not sure). When they approached the airline to find out why they were astounded that they did not use head sets. The airline concerned was shocked about this and they should be going to use head sets. The London TMA is not a place for missed radio calls.

neville_nobody
26th Oct 2009, 23:05
Your hearing would love it more if it had half the volume, (by covering both ears) & using the intercom that Mr Airbus or Mr Boeing spent $$$$ fitting to the a/c!

Some Boeing aircraft don't have hot intercoms though!!:ugh:

pointyendforward
26th Oct 2009, 23:05
Does any body use a Telex Airman ANR 500? They look like they may be a reasonable option but I haven't actually tried one myself.

Capn Bloggs
26th Oct 2009, 23:13
Oxidant,
using the intercom that Mr Airbus or Mr Boeing spent $$$$ fitting to the a/c!
What intercom?

Oxidant
27th Oct 2009, 02:19
You can please all the people some of the time & some of the....................................... :rolleyes:

Cypher
27th Oct 2009, 07:44
Some Boeing aircraft don't have hot intercoms though!!

Nothing a rubber band won't fix..... :)