PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu vaccine?

albertaboy
25th Oct 2009, 00:26
Hi there!I am looking for info about swine flu vaccination. I fly between northern communities and will be exposed to a high risk population. Any Av. Docs out there who know if any waiting times to fly apply after getting the shot? Please keep in mind I am not looking to debate the value of getting the shot. Being a new pilot I'm also too poor to go ask the doc any questions in person, so here I am:). Thanks!

J.O.
25th Oct 2009, 01:15
As your profile says you are from Alberta, I would suggest that you start here:

Alberta Health Services | Home (http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/)

albertaboy
25th Oct 2009, 07:17
Thanks for the reply, but I'm a transplant living in ONTario. I also talked to a friend and am now open to opinions on the vaccine all together. I am a young healthy male who flies at risk groups all day, every day. Any Input out there?

J.O.
25th Oct 2009, 14:31
AB boy:

I should know better than to make such an assumption, sorry! We pilots need to be "portable" if we want to have a career, don't we.

I will not debate the pros and cons of getting a vaccination. I have not taken the routine flu vaccine for several years, but I will get this one. I'm normally pretty healthy but this year has been worse than usual, combined with the fact that I have a family member who's had major medical issues this year and I'd like to avoid exposing them to anything which could put a strain on their "challenged" immune system.

According to Health Ontario, the vaccine is now available to people who fit into high risk categories, which include:

People 65 and under with chronic conditions
Healthy children 6 months to under five years of age;
People living in remote or isolated communities;
Health care workers; and
Household contacts and care providers of persons at high risk who cannot be immunized or may not respond to vaccines.I would say that your job qualifies you for the vaccination now. You should contact your local health unit, because they will be setting up vaccination clinics. I assume that you will be covered but you can ask them about that as well. More info can be found here:

This year it’s a different flu season (http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/ccom/flu/)

Stay well!

Jeff

er340790
26th Oct 2009, 12:46
If you're flying into CYQT this week, the local walk-in clinics have just received 50,000 H1N1 vaccine doses. The number below should have everything you need re locations / times etc.

Toll free I-888-294-6630 ext. 8318

I'm not aware of any specific no-fly time post-innoculation, but personnally I'd give it a precautionary 24 hours.

Give my regards to Summer Beaver!

albertaboy
27th Oct 2009, 03:56
Thanks for the info guys. I'll get the shot ASAP. At least that way my pig like tendencies will only be a matter of opinion, not medical fact. Cheers!

Walton007
17th Nov 2010, 10:40
Flu vaccines aimed at relieving people from the perils of flu infection, however, it was noticed in a recent consumer survey report that only 30 % of these believed that this year’s flu shots were safe and effective. This has left the medical professionals baffled as the last thing that they expected was people being scared ‘off’ vaccines.For more information you may visit Flu Shot- Myths and Reality | (http://www.mynetpharma.com/flu-shot-myths-and-reality.html)

gingernut
19th Nov 2010, 20:27
If you're fit and healthy, it's likely that you will recover from flu, and swine flu spontaenously.

I seem to remember that the vaccine is "dead" so I wouldn't have thought adverse effects would be an issue, but I'm not an av doc. A lot of people get ill after their immunisation, but it's likely to be related to the time in the season it's administered, rather than the immunisation itself.

Be suspicious of employers advocating mass immunisation, are they interested in their service, or your health?

homonculus
20th Nov 2010, 21:49
Absolutely Gingernut. Just look at the incidence of swine flu. And remember that these viruses continually mutate anyhow so it is a constant battle between virus and modified vaccine, which is why you need the normal vaccine every year.

Many doctors do not have flu vaccine themselves. We see most patients haveing colds, but the men and particulalry the pilots call it man flu. I dont know any of my medical colleagues who worry about swine flu, even if they travel.

The UK spent an obscene amount of money on vaccines and thousands of ventilators for this epidemic or that epidemic - I cant really remember as there were several heading our way.

Right, hard hat on and stand by for flak.