PDA

View Full Version : Job Situation In Nigeria

menatti
24th Oct 2009, 00:56
Hello Everyone,
I recently finished my CPL in the states and Im about to head back to Nigeria, What are my chances of getting a job within 3months. I am a Nigerian citizen and a University graduate. I do not have a type rating but I have been told I would need one. How true is that? I did check up on the costs of the 737 and the dash 8 and the 737 is affordable but the Dash 8 is wayyy out of my price range even though I would actually prefer to fly it. Do I get a 737 TR or go without it.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

captseth
24th Oct 2009, 02:36
I think if you can get a B737 type your prospects are quite good. Go for the gold, the -8 is a nice plane but you can have a career on a jet...

eagleflier
24th Oct 2009, 09:42
Getting a B737 TR is a great advantage cos most airlines aint willing to type rate anyone at the moment. I know guys who got their CPL as far back as jan who are still waiting for employment,we are all trying to raise money for 737 TR. whatever you do,get the type rating endorsed on your FAA license,that way NCAA doesnt ask any questions. They'll endorse it on your Nig license. That might mean doing the training on a level D sim. Makes your life a lot easier.

menatti
24th Oct 2009, 14:12
Thanks for the replies Gents. Quick question. Do I get the NG TR or Classic? I know only Arik has the NG's Aero, NEA, Chachangi have classics. Are they all employing at the moment coz it would be a shame to go home with the either one and not get employed soon enough as Im pretty much spending my last dime on the TR.

eagleflier
25th Oct 2009, 08:04
From what I've HEARD (pls dont quote me), if you've got NG, Arik will employ you but getting NG makes you employable by ARIK alone. If you've got classic, you have greater options.
If your intentions are to go for NG, speak to someone at Arik before you commence training to give you an idea of your chances.

5N Pilot
25th Oct 2009, 15:02
I dont want to sound pessimistic but with the current downturn in the aviation sector, are there flying jobs around now?
Think twice or wait a little before you commit a colossal amount of money:=

Putcodrvr
27th Oct 2009, 05:47
Dear Sir,
First, I must apologise to you for using this medium to communicate to
you about this project.
I am a highly placed official of Government of Nigeria and also a founding
member of the ruling party in Power now, the Peoples Democratic Party
(PDP).
However, to make fortune out of this opportunity, by virtue of our position as civil servants and members of the (NNPC), we cannot acquire this in our name. This is because as top civil servants, we are not
allowed by law of the land to own or operate foreign bank accounts outside
our country for now.
And there is the need to transfer this fund to a reliable account. It is
therefore on this note that i have been delegated as a matter of trust by
my colleagues, to look for an overseas partner in whose account we would
transfer the fund hence the reason for this mail.i will want to front this buisness
by standing as the contarcyor /ssub-contractor of project We shall be Transferring the Licence to you with you as the beneficiary and you are
been paid for a contract which you executed for our country through the
(NNPC) and any other Federal Ministry that we decide to use to siphon the
funds through.
Firstly, our conviction of your transparency.
Secondly, that you treat this transaction with utmost secrecy and
confidentiality. Finally and above all, that you will provide an account
that you have absolute control over.
Finally, let me state here that this transaction will take (10-14) working
days to conclude depending on your quick response, and it is legitimate
and there is no risk or legal disadvantages either to ourselves or
yourself now or in the future you are to treat with utmost
confidentiality.
I await your urgent reply on this transaction while you acknowledge your
receipt upon this letter
Best regard
Bello Kareem :E

NaijaNinja
27th Oct 2009, 09:43
A young fresh-off-the boat airman comes seeking words of wisdom from elders and here goes Grandpa Putcodrvr.

Grandpa's post is f****** piss-taking of the highest order, can someone tell this old bagger to act his age.

Grandpa Putcodrvr, PLS ACT YOUR AGE AND SIGN UP FOR AN OAP HOME!

Putcodrvr
27th Oct 2009, 10:21
DILLIGAF my little boy....

menatti
27th Oct 2009, 17:22
See thats the million $ question, I keep getting different answers, I know 2 people who went home earlier this year just and walked into 737 jobs with Arik within a month of them returning, but I also know a mate of mine who went home and waited almost 7 months before he got his job with Chachangi, but as Eagleflier said some people are still there waiting and no jobs cos they dont have TR's soo I might as well just get the 737 even though it looks like a its a case of who you know at some airlines. I just might get lucky.
I really appreciate the answers everyone and I hopefully look forward to flying the not soo friendly skies:) with you next year.

VKwannabe
28th Oct 2009, 18:41
hi menatti,
im in the same boat as you though havent finished cpl yet, but from what i hear your better off with a b737 type and you will get a job eventually, pm me if you prefer.

cheers
vkwannabe