PDA

View Full Version : Aussie "J" rumours ??

nigeriley
16th Jul 2001, 16:55
Rumours abound that the Aussies are "handing back" their C130J's on "Breach of Contract" grounds - Any one know of more specific details ??

Also reports heard that Lockheed have established a new company for the J to avoid bankruptcy problems .... any truth here ??

... but why let the truth get in the way of a goood rumour......... :confused:

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
18th Jul 2001, 21:28
I also heard this rumour, at luncheon today.

So I've brought it to the top of the page again.

Mr C Hinecap
19th Jul 2001, 01:53
Excellent news - we can get even MORE of them on the ground at our Secret Base in Wiltshire - will look bloody impressive, what?!? Buying second hand crap is a speciality of MOD is it not? Wait - VC10 still flies! Paint em green. :confused:

Qwin T Senshall
19th Jul 2001, 11:17
Mr C

'Buying second hand crap'? Outrageous.

I think that you may be referring to Commercial Off The Shelf acquisition. This is one of the key methodologies that is going to bring us Faster Cheaper Better!

As is PPP and Systems Engineering.

Please tell Mr Hoon that it makes New Labour sense to employ modern management buzzwor - sorry, techniques to pay people to do stuff we used to do at cost price because they are more efficient and can do it at a profit. Win win! (Fill in cliches to taste)

You cannot make savings on defence. You can only choose not to spend.

Qwin

DutchRoll
20th Jul 2001, 08:37
Excellent rumour about us handing back our C-130Js! But a very, very silly one, barely worthy of a response, yet I have succumbed anyway. Only surpassed by the silliness of its inventor.

Regards!

RoboAlbert
21st Jul 2001, 13:25
Dutch, I have the same problem. You read this c**p from people that have never been near a J and its just so hard not to bite. This probably stems from the fact that I think the aircraft is the best thing since sliced bread. Never mind - all the more airframes for us!

PS how is that Pom B*****d we sent you getting on?

Avtrician
24th Jul 2001, 04:20
To my Knowledge, the only aircraft that the RAAF has handed back was the Phantom, and that was cos they were borrowed until the F18s arrived.

Every other aircraft was kept and made to work, no matter the cost or difficult the task. Those Mirages were a right mongrel to work on. :cool:

Suit
25th Jul 2001, 01:09
Avtrickything...........

Wrong decade old mate! The Aussies handed back the F-4E Phantoms when they eventually got their hands on their much delayed F-111s, some time in the mid seventies I think. Way WAY before anybody had even dreamed up the F-18.

Suit.
(in pedantic mood)

Avtrician
25th Jul 2001, 04:30
Suit,

You are quite correct, and I am wrong again, but it was a long time ago. These memory glithches occur with advancing old age. :) :)