PDA

View Full Version : GA in Brazil?

Pitts2112
22nd Oct 2009, 15:30
Am contemplating running away to Brazil to escape the recession and would like to know about GA in Brazil, specifically Maringa, Parana. How much light aircraft/hobby GA is there? Is it affordable? What's available for rent or ownership/clubs? Would I be able to import my Pitts Special without incurring enormous fees and duties?

Also, I have both US and UK PPLs. What's involved in getting a Brazilian PPL?

Thanks for any info or other references to look at.

Obrigado,
Pitts2112

wannabe-aviator
22nd Oct 2009, 23:15
Hello

Parana has a very healthy GA environment with 2 Airports you have the international one, but also a very local one that deals only in Bizjets and flying clubs and there are a few Cargo configured Bandits as well.

You may want to contact the AERO CLUB DO PARANA, Aeroclube do Paraná (http://www.aeroclubeparana.com.br/)

They are considered amongst one of the best Flying clubs in the region and I dont think Prices are bad either, as for Curitiba its self there its got the highest quality of Life in Brazil lots of parks and green spaces so its a nice place for Kids as you have several schools and an international school that is home to a large German expat community.

In terms of Brits in Curitiba there arent many and those that are there are employees of the HSBC bank in the centro area of the City.

Accomodation wise Parana/Curitiba is pretty good compared to SP and Rio both in terms of Prices and quantity and the city is small and well integrated by an exceptional bus system.

I have been to Parana and would recomend it but it does get cold in the winter sometimes colder than in London and it snowed over there not too long ago so if its exceptionally hot weather you want it may not be for you, but if you have any more questions feel free to PM.

All the best
WA

Pitts2112
22nd Oct 2009, 23:41
WA

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! Any views on the same at Maringa?

Pitts2112

alemaobaiano
23rd Oct 2009, 08:42
Converting your licence would be a test of patience, but the process itself isn't too difficult. Normally you would sit the Brazilian PPL exams and possibly do a check ride, (you will need Portuguese for the tests) but that's about it.

Importing your Pitts is not going to be fun :ugh: You can expect to pay duties in the range of 60-90%, and you will need to place the aircraft on the Brazilian register. Expect a lot of headaches and a lot of expense trying to do that, so realistically it would be better to sell your Pitts there and try to find one on the local market.

However, are you a citizen or do you have a residence visa? AFAIK if you don't have a CPF (individual tax number) you won't be able to exchange your licence or import your aircraft. As a visitor you can fly on your US/UK PPL, without the need to convert it, most aeroclubes will only ask that you do a check ride before renting you an aircraft.

GA is alive and well in Brazil, the aeroclubes are normally very helpful and very knowledgeable, so I would follow up the earlier advice to get in contact with one and ask them the same questions. They would certainly have up to date information for you.

Good luck

Pitts2112
23rd Oct 2009, 11:15
Wow, 60-90% tax to import the airplane? I guess it's staying here in the UK, then!

Nice to know GA is alive in Brazil. I've looked on the web for flying in Maringa but all I can find is airline info for the regional airport. I haven't found anything to do with flying clubs or anything like that. Googlemaps shows the only other airport I've found near the city is closed and converted to a go-kart site.

Will keep trolling for information.

wannabe-aviator
23rd Oct 2009, 15:19
Hey Pitts

The last time I spoke to the Aero Club Do Parana folks they said they could arrange for me to take my PPL tests in English so I am not sure if that was the case or not but I never took them up on the offer.

As for tax if cars are anything to go by then we are talking closer to the 100-125% import tax so your aircraft can expect the same treatment.

With regards to emmigration am not an expert but you can apply for your CPF at the Embassy in London and it takes about a week or so to get it, but for a perminant emmigration you would need perhaps a retirement visa or an investment visa and the investment visa is based on you investing a minimum of 150.000 Reals or 75.000USD and have a business plan that can provide employment for up to 10 locals and the investment visa is for 5 years afterwhich it can be converted to a perminent one.

You can get a tourist visa at the Airport in Curitiba which is 90 days and your allowed to extend it for another 90 days, or get married to a local brazilian and then after 2 years apply for your brazilian passport.

Lastly I would say forget Maranga for GA as Curitiba is way better and has a dedicated infustructure for both GA and expats, if you need anything further do not hesitate to get in touch.

Safe landings
WA

SarahLovesSeaplanes
23rd Oct 2009, 15:43
How long can the plane be in Brazil before it must be imported? Since the owner has a British License, can the plane fly with it's British registration for a few months? Or perhaps longer?

wannabe-aviator
23rd Oct 2009, 15:55
Sarah/Pitts

If you contact a gentleman called Roberto Fonseca on

[email protected] or fax number 55 21 2544-7378. ,

this the guy that would deal with all things over flight and landing permits into Brazil so he might be worth sending a speculative email to if he can't help then he would for sure send the enquiry to the right person in ANAC, also you may want to call up Aero Club De Parana for further info since that is one of the places Pitts is looking at.

I am not sure again if Planes are Car rules in Brazil are similar but if your on a tourist Visa you can bring your car into the country for the duration of your trip I think its like that in several countries if someone can correct me on this please do, as for planes I am not sure if it could well be the same as it is like that in some countries also.

If you have more questions please let me know I will give you best info I can think of, but I am not an expert on import or export proceedures nor immigration I speak to you based on my first Hand dealings in my situations and such like.

safe landings
WA

Pitts2112
23rd Oct 2009, 17:46
Even more interesting questions! Keeping it on the G-reg and flying on my British PPL sounds an interesting option to investigate.

The reason for the question is that my partner (a Brazilian citizen) and I are looking at moving to Maringa and trying to find a job/start a business there. The move will be permanent, rather than as tourists. We'll be married by the time we make the trip, so I hope the visa thing will be sorted (still looking into that one).

Thanks very much for Roberto's details. I'll drop him an e-mail with a few preliminary questions.

Pitts2112

pithblot
23rd Oct 2009, 18:39
Maringa is a lovely city. I've paxed in and out a few times and kept an interested eye out to see what was going on from the limited vantage point of the terminal & the perimeter road. It seems that there is little if any GA activity, although one day I did see a Cheyenne II arrive and depart.

It might be worth looking at airfields in smaller towns near by. For example in the town of President Castello Branco (sic) which is about 20 minutes away by bus there is a grass strip, about 900m, with half a dozen very tidy looking hangers.

I'd be interested to know how you go with your job/business and all the best for your wedding.

Cheers,

Pithblot

Pitts2112
26th Oct 2009, 11:41
Just discovered that Brazil has 4,000 airports and ranks number 2 in the world (behind the US with 15,000+). Sounds like it could be my kinda place!

Anyone here flown an Aero Baero? Saw them at the flying club at Curitiba but couldn't find out much about them other than they're Lycoming powered and Argentinian-built taildraggers.

winguru
28th Oct 2009, 06:52
Im a european citizen, from portugal

Altough did my private in brasil on Aeroboero, if you manage to fly without breaking it, your ok for all the other GA aircraft :}

Im probably going back in april to complete the instrument/comercial, and some flying in Argentina(cheap... and a xc flight to chile ) right now im in Texas doing JAA ATPL theory

I had to get a CPF number, even with tourist visa i got one

To be able to take a checkride i had to go back to portugal get a student visa, and get a temporary RNE number(foreign national registry), the actual card only arives almost 1 year later.

If you bring your pitts you will like the Acrobatic "scene" in Brazil, i do know some people that have pitts/extra/sukoi and can get your a good maintenance shop.

I think they will only do the licence for someone able to speak portuguese, while you learn it, you can easily get someone to use has pilot in command, even with a private pilot licence, if its a double seat

"Fica bem"