PDA

View Full Version : ICAO definition of a 'Visual Approach'

Old King Coal
22nd Oct 2009, 11:24
Could someone cut & paste the ICAO definition for a 'Visual Approach' ?

I'd like the verbatim definition from ICAO (and not someone elses bastardised interpretation of it) preferably including the ICAO part / section reference that it's come from, as well as any minima / visibility restrictions that are applied to it.

...and for the avoidance of doubt I'm not talking about the 'Circling Approach', but moreover the straight-in 'Visual Approach'.

I've tried google but just can't seem to pin it down.

Many thanks,

OKC

jb5000
22nd Oct 2009, 11:49
Do ICAO even publish that kind of thing?

From EU-OPS:

“Visual approach”. An approach when either part or all of an instrument approach procedure is not completed and the approach is executed with visual reference to the terrain.

Sub Part E, OPS 1.435

Also, from Appendix 1 to Sub Part E:

(g) Visual Approach. An operator shall not use an RVR of less than 800 m for a visual approach.

TCAS FAN
22nd Oct 2009, 12:11
OLD KING COLE

From ICAO Doc 4444, PANS ATM

"Visual approach. An approach by an IFR flight when either
part or all of an instrument approach procedure is not
completed and the approach is executed in visual reference
to terrain."

ie the EU has adopted the ICAO abbreviation.

The RVR minima 800 m is only an EU requirement.

Old King Coal
22nd Oct 2009, 14:11
jb5000... and therein lies the problem, i.e. that ICAO don't make this available on the web (certainly not free of charge), and I'm just trying to confirm & ensure that the ICAO version doesn't have any idiosyncrasies in it that interpretations, by such as EU-OPS, Canada AIP, etc, might of introduced?!

TCAS FAN - cheers pal!

Anybody else want to contribute and / or maybe have a web link to an 'on-line' version?

IRRenewal
22nd Oct 2009, 17:02
Google is your friend.

Found this:

Readuk | Scribd (http://www.scribd.com/Readuk)

the search term I used in google was

"either part or all of an instrument approach procedure is not completed and the approach is executed" as this phrase is common in both definitions.

Old King Coal
22nd Oct 2009, 18:24
Many thanks to you all for responding (especially for that last link) wherein I've found just the definition I wanted!

PPRuNe... you've just gotta love it! :ok:

Sir George Cayley
23rd Oct 2009, 20:20
You could try the definitions in CAA CAP168. That gives non instrument, instrument and precision instrument runway definitions, which seem to answer your query.

Sir George Cayley