PDA

View Full Version : Expeditions!!!!

Shouting Rad-Alt
16th Jul 2001, 14:06
I have 6 months to kill before starting an OCU. Has anyone heard of any GOOD expeditions being run? (Some place hot!and not Saif serea II) Have no formal AT quals. However, can lift heavy things and tab forever!
I have approached PTI's, there to busy "Looking Good". :D

[ 17 July 2001: Message edited by: Shouting Rad-Alt ]

Min Decent Ht
20th Jul 2001, 22:44
Not an expedition but a course: the basic parachute course at Weston is awesome. 3 weeks of jumping out of servicable airplanes. Mention you've got valuable legs and they'll even equip you with a steerable/flareable sports parachute, which means no bruises when you reach terra.
Its more important to look good than be good of course.

Odi
22nd Jul 2001, 23:41
What is wrong with EX Saif Sarrea II? My wife is going away on it for a couple of weeks. Two weeks on my own? Absolute bliss!!

:D :D ;) ;) :D :D

[ 22 July 2001: Message edited by: Odi ]

Sumo664
25th Jul 2001, 02:15
With 6 months off why not jack one up yourself... maybe take some of those blokes who actually have jobs to do... its what we in the Army call 'using your initiative' (look it up in the dictionary).

Captain Widebody
25th Jul 2001, 02:20
Rad-Alt

You lucky b***ard! Oh for those days again. If your boss is OK for you to disappear at short notice, then never mind the formal channels and PTIs, check out JS DCI Gen (2 or 3/01) - available in all good PSFs and adjuries, and get on the blower.

Most Joint Service AT courses are well booked up in advance, and some do have big reserve lists. However, if you speak nicely to the right people at the centres, and tell them you are entirely flexible (if, of course you are), you will get on a course or two.

Students always drop out at the last minute for service reasons; if the centres can fill the empty spaces they usually will. It's something to do with capacity/bums on seats and justification to the bean counters. Either way, they would rather you phoned up on the off-chance and filled their slot, as it were, than have it empty.

Flexibility and a good telephone manner is the key. Good luck!!

PS I completely second MDH - freefall is unnatural, scary and f**king mad, but great fun :D It never got any less scary for me even after 20+ jumps, but it's a bigger adrenaline rush than flying a FJ anyday (though not as close to a near death experience, some of my ex-navs would argue :eek: )

[ 24 July 2001: Message edited by: Captain Widebody ]

jet jones
25th Jul 2001, 04:35
Hi there ..sorry for butting in but what is an OCU?..I am due in cranwell so just feeding on some info..and how come you have so much time off anyway??

PTT
25th Jul 2001, 05:19
Odi

What's your wife's name?

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/awink.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/naughty.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/awink.gif

PTT

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: PTT ]

Shouting Rad-Alt
27th Jul 2001, 00:37
Using my "INITIATIVE" is why I am a Crab and not a Ground Pounding Grunt. I rest my case Sumo! :D

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: Shouting Rad-Alt ]

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: Shouting Rad-Alt ]

Sumo664
1st Aug 2001, 01:57
My, my is that a bit of a sore spot I hit there?
Seriously though my point is a good one. Why not take the one really good opportunity you will have in your career to organise an exped? Chances are anyone organising a 'REALLY' good exped won't be massively keen to offer a place to someone who has nothing to add (i.e you) and for the rest of your career trivia will get in the way. If you want some suggestions on locations, planning, etc I am more than ready to offer some - my speciality is diving trips.... Jamaica, Red Sea (4), Cyprus (3), Sardinia, Spain, Gibraltar(2), Cornwall (2 and better than you might think), Scapa Flow.
Sumo664
P.S And ease off the capitals!

captain widebody
1st Aug 2001, 02:55
Email or message me if you want a contact for a really good (and I mean f**king great) exped for late November

CW :cool: :cool:

Charlie Luncher
1st Aug 2001, 11:40
Little dude

All overseas expeds have to be approved through command. I think that there a head PTI or scribbly at PMA whom approves all trips. Try to get his no. from station PTIs or go through their exped file to find it yourself. Not a lot going on in UK due to army abusing sheep etc. but try some of the AT centres listed in JSP/DCI for people always drop out at the last minute.

Shouting Rad-Alt
2nd Aug 2001, 00:46
So Sumo you are a ground pounder that wants to be a fish head!
No sore points, I did 3 years with the Donkey Wollopers! and then woke up and Pvr'd.

We have a couple of divers on the Sqn, so a dip in the deep blue may be an option. Cheers!

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: Shouting Rad-Alt ]

Shouting Rad-Alt
2nd Aug 2001, 00:51
Capt Widebody,

If you could drop us the details I would be grateful. I am currently looking into organising a trip with the Sqn I'm on. However, if it goes pears I will probably look to get on something my self.

I assume you are at BZN?

Capt Widebody
6th Aug 2001, 03:04
Rad-Alt

Sorry for the delay. Had a few problems with passwords and being accidentally unregistered as a user etc. In the time it took me to get my registration back, some unscrupulous civvy (no doubt) has nicked me bloody name! The cheek!

Anyway... there will be an email in your slot tomorrow with full contact details for the November exped. It aint specially cheap, but it's specially special!

The piss artist formerly known as Captain Widebody

Rude C'man
7th Aug 2001, 00:31
Shouting , Remember ALM can't display too much initiative , it makes the front end jealous . Good luck on FW you lucky chap, howd you get that sick note from mum?(ps talking rad alts not too chuffed about the nick name ) :eek: :cool: null